Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

4l60e...will an '05 fit a '96 blazer?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2005, 11:43 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4l60e...will an '05 fit a '96 blazer?

new guy here...found your site through google, and seems to be the best around for all sorts of stuff, including transmission knowledge, so...

first, the problem...my '96 blazer doesn't want to go in reverse when hot unless i turn off the ignition and turn it back on. same for going into 2nd, i'll be driving fine, but once it gets hot it most likely won't upshift out of first-instead, it will go all the way up to about 5000 rpm without doing anything, but i keep it down below 4000...slip it into neutral, turn it off and back on, and i can once again go over 25 with no problems at least a couple of times. once in higher gear, everything is fine until i drop below 25 again.

now, mainly through searching this site out, i know that the sunshield or spindle, or whatever it's called, causes this or a similar problem, and i know that the 4l60e got smaller in '98 or thereabouts.

now, for the title question...i was contacted by someone with an '05 chevy 4l60e trans, says he swapped it for a manual trans, and will sell it for $600...will this fit in my truck? if "kind of," what modifications would have to be made?

side question...probably the more important one...what are my best options for fixing my problem? i'm looking for the cheapest way to give my truck another 10,000 or so miles...currently, it has around 140,000 miles, only 10,000 put on it by me. even if i could for sure get it working for another 3000 miles, it would buy me enough time to get it fixed for real...but i'm short of funds now, so i can't let this thing nickle-and-dime me to death, a one-shot $1000 fix would be better than a bunch of $200 fixes, even though it would take a couple paychecks to get the money.

...and, i have a friend that'll swap transmissions for me for $250, which makes me think finding a decent used one would be my best option...

thanks for the help...

(yes, this thread is also in ls1tech automatic transmission section...trying to cover all angles...)
Old 09-30-2005, 12:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

The bellhousing is different on them. But you can just swap yours out and install it on the new 4l60. Your blazer does have an 4l60 right? Now to the stuff I am not to sure about. I believe some of the internal electrical stuff is different on those, but I am not to sure. I think the electronics on the 98 and up trannies changed a little.

Take your question and also post it on LS1tech.com in the tranny section, it is the same type of site and we always jump back and forth for technical stuff. I know someone over there has to know. Oh and clean it up a little and just get to the point, sometimes people wont read if its long. But basiclly post that you have a 96' 4l60E and it blew, and you found an 4l60E off a 2005, would the electrical connections still match. Hope that helps you a little.
Old 09-30-2005, 01:01 AM
Teching In

got the ls1tech.com covered already, thanks. biggest probem i have with message boards is publishing a book...in over 7 years of posting, i still haven't figured out how some people can say so much with so few words.

so...just need more info on electronics compatibility...thanks
Old 09-30-2005, 10:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by fourZ
got the ls1tech.com covered already, thanks. biggest probem i have with message boards is publishing a book...in over 7 years of posting, i still haven't figured out how some people can say so much with so few words.

so...just need more info on electronics compatibility...thanks
I know what you mean About publishing a book. I kinda of learned how to explain things by writing scientific papers, and not making it sound as lame but clear as possible. But it is very difficult.

Also I know this might not help but it is worth giving it a shot, have you changed the oil and the tranny filter lately. Sometimes they act funny when they are old, and an oil change can help. I know that when the filter is not installed right it causes the tranny to act up. Also have you checked into getting it rebuild, if you are not doing some major hot rodding (which I think you are not with the blazer) you can maybe get one done for about 1250 installed, but you have to look around.