Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

4l60e rebuild questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2013, 11:29 AM
Staging Lane

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I would suggest spending a bit more money and getting a unit from one of the vendors on the side---->
Based on the conflicting feedback on which clutches to use, go with someone that builds performance units all the time and will stand behind what they build.
Old 08-16-2013, 01:50 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by swift700
The Borg Warners lasted 6 months in my last 80e. The direct clutch fried like an egg on a hot driveway after a few good launches. The Altos are holding down the fort. They feel strong, even at stock pressure.
The direct clutches are the first thing you will see go bye bye in the 80. There is not nearly enough fluid that will keep them from frying if the hydraulics were not modified. Did you dual feed the direct aftre the bw were fried? Also were the steels in good condition when the bw were installed? Did you install new steels with the new altos? Who built the trans?

I have not personally used the altos, nor do I claim to be a trans expert. I just follow experts advice. Vince, Jake, Gilbert and Rossler (at least in his 400) use or recommend the bw high energy.

Not trying to argue, just want to hear some feedback to see why your bw fried if they are said to be the better option.

Originally Posted by apex2112
I would suggest spending a bit more money and getting a unit from one of the vendors on the side---->
Based on the conflicting feedback on which clutches to use, go with someone that builds performance units all the time and will stand behind what they build.
Agreed. the sponsors here have great reputations. A local trans shop might know how to do performance upgrades or they might not. You are the one at risk. These guys here know their shiit.