Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

4L60E Budget rebuild help needed

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2010, 01:16 PM
Tech Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4L60E Budget rebuild help needed

I have an 03 GMC with a TVS 1900 and mods/dyno numbers listed in my sig. I've had the SC for at least 3 or 4 months and the tranny is definitely on it's way out. I found a local tranny shop in the LA area (HP Performance, Chatsworth, CA.) that says they can rebuild the tranny (shift kit, replace any burnt bands, and up the tranny fluid pressure) for about $1500-2200, depending on any options I go for. Is there anything else I should have them do? I eventually plan to get a cam and imagine that I will be pushing at least 500 rwp and 500+ rwtq so I want to be sure that the tranny can handle what I throw at it. Also if anyone knows any good tranny shops in the LA area I would also appreciate the referral. Any help would be most appreciated.
Old 01-29-2010, 03:01 PM
TECH Addict

If you are going to spend over 2 grand on a tranny, get it done right from performabilt or FLT. I don't own one from either company, but I rarely see people have good luck with local shops. --Even ones that guarantee a "bullet-proof" transmission.

A budget 4l60e that can handle 500 rwhp is nearly impossible, unless you do the work yourself and borrow the tools from a friend.

Just my $.02
Old 01-29-2010, 05:39 PM
Tech Fanatic

Thanks for your input Coban. Just took it to a local shop that does GM high performance trannys all the time (just did a supercharged camaro and had a vette in the stall), and I was very impressed. I made it very clear what kind of power my truck is putting out and they stated they would have no problem building a tranny for me that could handle 500 rwhp. They also offer a 12 month warranty too which really appeals to me, since I don't have time to be doing the labor myself if something goes wrong.
Old 01-29-2010, 06:53 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 304 Likes on 221 Posts

what good is a warranty if you have to put in the shop every couple of months. Our sponsors have many satisfied customers and great customer service. I would at least consult with flt or performabuilt before purchasing anything.
Old 01-30-2010, 09:27 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm not going to say that there aren't any local shops that can build trans's out there, but I've read too many threads of guys taking their autos to places just to have it redone four or five times and it still never ends up right. First thing that I'd be scared about would be the place guaranteeing that their 60E will hold 500 rwhp in a truck no problem...I would think that a seasoned trans builder would claim that they'll build the stoutest 60E possible, but state that anything's possible with that much power in a 5000+ lb truck. 500rwhp is pushing the 60E's limits in a spiritedly driven truck

I could have had my trans built cheaper locally, but opted for the piece of mind that I'm getting from the good folks at FLT, who have an excellent reputation here. Performabuilt also has been top notch to our members who run their trannys. I'd rather be without my truck a little longer as I save up for a quality trans now, than have to pull the unit numerous times in the future

Last edited by budhayes3; 01-31-2010 at 01:39 AM.
Old 01-31-2010, 01:35 AM
Tech Fanatic

Well I definitely appreciate all the input. Thankfully the shop thats working on my truck has quite a bit experience with forced induction LS1 based vehicles so I'm confident that they will put together a good tyranny.
Old 01-31-2010, 01:38 AM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cool deal man, hope they do a good job for you
Old 02-04-2010, 06:12 PM
Tech Fanatic

Just got the truck back and I'm beyond impressed. The shop got the truck together within 1 1/2 days and the truck runs beautifuly. Shifts are fast, firm and I'm chirping 2nd gear with little effort. This shop is a family run business and the owner (Javier) has been working on transmissions for over 35 years. The tech that did the work (Dave) seriously knows his stuff and I was happy to see a few Vettes, Cadillacs, and a supercharged Camaro sitting in the shop. I was also impressed by how clean or orderly the shop was. Lastly they give a 12 month warranty on the tranny. The shops name is B & D transmissions (818-727-7788), 10121 Suite B, Canoga Ave., Chatsworth, CA. I would highly recommend this shop to anyone living in the LA area. Below are some pics of the parts they installed (Transgo shift kit, Corvette Servo, Z Pak 9 clutch kit, etc.).

Also I am wondering if after getting this tranny I should have anything done with my trucks HP tuners tune? So far the truck seems to run perfect but was just curious.
Attached Thumbnails 4L60E Budget rebuild help needed-img_012d4.jpg   4L60E Budget rebuild help needed-img_0119d.jpg   4L60E Budget rebuild help needed-img_0121d.jpg   4L60E Budget rebuild help needed-img_0122d.jpg   4L60E Budget rebuild help needed-img_0125d.jpg  

Old 02-04-2010, 06:23 PM
11 Second Hall Moniter

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I hope you upgraded the input & output shafts.
Old 02-04-2010, 06:31 PM
Tech Fanatic

Yup done and done! ;-)

Quick Reply: 4L60E Budget rebuild help needed