Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

4L60E Basic/Bolt-On Performance Upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2009, 04:31 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4L60E Basic/Bolt-On Performance Upgrades

Whats up guys I plan on doing a FI/mild motor build on my truck pretty soon and am wondering about how long my tranny is gonna hold up. I plan on over 400hp to the rear wheels, but it won't be beat on and abused all the time because its my daily driver.

I will have a basic mail-order tune done on it, so the shift points/firmness will be increased. From that point, I'm not really sure what the best options are to upgrade this tranny. Things I planned on putting on are
- Billet 1-2 Servo
- Transgo HD2 Shift Kit
- 3000 Stall converter

Other than this, I'm not really sure what I should do to build up my tranny. Any other modifications/suggestions are greatly appreciated. Also, how long do these trannys usually last? Mine has around 70k on it now. Thanks ahead of time.
Old 10-28-2009, 05:38 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 02'Z71ONDUBZ'
Whats up guys I plan on doing a FI/mild motor build on my truck pretty soon and am wondering about how long my tranny is gonna hold up. I plan on over 400hp to the rear wheels, but it won't be beat on and abused all the time because its my daily driver.

I will have a basic mail-order tune done on it, so the shift points/firmness will be increased. From that point, I'm not really sure what the best options are to upgrade this tranny. Things I planned on putting on are
- Billet 1-2 Servo
- Transgo HD2 Shift Kit
- 3000 Stall converter

Other than this, I'm not really sure what I should do to build up my tranny. Any other modifications/suggestions are greatly appreciated. Also, how long do these trannys usually last? Mine has around 70k on it now. Thanks ahead of time.
My trans went at 59.5K with my mild set up and the factory converter...it's kind of hit or miss, but things like FI usually kill the 60E pretty quickly unless it's been "built". For the home-brew set up, I'd go with the mods you listed, as well as a big trans cooler such as the TruCool 40K, and aluminum accumulator pistons as the one in your trans are plastic and are prone to cracking. When you do these mods, the PCM will need to be re-tuned first, the pressures will have to go back to stock, and I believe that there are adjustments that need to be made to quicken up the shifts also, as well as adjustments for the converter.