Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

4l60 afl valve fix

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2006, 07:20 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

would the tranny go into limp mode if i needed a crank relearn.
Old 08-15-2006, 08:10 PM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by primal1
my problem is that i have no overdrive or 1st gear. i just got out from under my truck and i have 12volts going to the tranny via a pink wire. so i'm guessing it would be the afl valve. according to the sonnax website , this is the problem. is there a test to check the afl valve.
Ok now that I'm rereading your thread. You should of told us in your first post that you did not have 1st or 4th. I beating that you have a bad shift solenoid. It would be wise to get it scanned first before throwing parts at it.

Last edited by FLT; 08-15-2006 at 08:29 PM.
Old 08-15-2006, 09:34 PM
Teching In

that was the code i got. i replaced the a & b solenoid and tcc solenoid w/ no solution. i have a buddy that has a friend that has a scanner that is capable of doing a tranny scan. i will have answeres tommorow if all works out. i have a wait4metune, should i put it back to stock or leave the tune in. w/ the tune i get the ses light because i need to do the crank relearn. regardless i'm still going to do the servos and all that just so my tranny will last longer. i'm keeping this truck 4ever.
Old 08-16-2006, 02:38 PM
Teching In

hey vince, do you sell a kit that would include all the items that i listed.
Old 08-16-2006, 08:15 PM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can put a kit together for you. Have you scanned this vehicle? I'm kinda curious if the computer is commanding 1st or 4th? There should be some data that you can read via scan tool. You need to look to see if it is firing the shift solenoids. In first gear you should have both shift solenoids on. 2nd gear one of the two will shut off. In 3rd the other will shut off -no solenoids on at this point. To complete 4th the solenoid that first shuts off to complete 2nd should come back on. If this is not happening you have an electrical problem. Whether it be wiring, computer or solenoid failure. If you are seeing the commands it is probably a hydralic failure such as what you want to do with the parts that we are talking about. If you would like to give me a call tomorrow we can discuss this over the phone. It may also be a good idea to drop the pan on your truck to see if it is clean with good looking fluid. If it doesn't look good you should probably consider ordering a trans. Give me a call, Vince.
Old 08-16-2006, 08:53 PM
Teching In

when this first happened i dropped the pan and changed the fluid and filter. the bootom of the pan was covered in soot. it was a real fine powder. i'm guessing from when the tranny was rebuilt. tonight my buddy w/ the scanner came over w/out it thinking he could tell by driving it. long story short he needed the scanner. he did tell me the electronic syncro (i think that is what it is) on the side was not kicking anything on. he had me shift it in and out of park and drive , he said he could not feel the relay kick in. it would not kick in theough if it is in limp mode though. he says the way it is shift though he thinks its a vacuum problem wich would come back to the parts in the valve bodyi.e. check *****, separator plate, ect. if i'm not mistaken any way. he going to come back tommorrow. to run the scan though.
Old 08-16-2006, 09:24 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Vince @ FLT
I can put a kit together for you. Have you scanned this vehicle? I'm kinda curious if the computer is commanding 1st or 4th? There should be some data that you can read via scan tool. You need to look to see if it is firing the shift solenoids. In first gear you should have both shift solenoids on. 2nd gear one of the two will shut off. In 3rd the other will shut off -no solenoids on at this point. To complete 4th the solenoid that first shuts off to complete 2nd should come back on. If this is not happening you have an electrical problem. Whether it be wiring, computer or solenoid failure. If you are seeing the commands it is probably a hydralic failure such as what you want to do with the parts that we are talking about. If you would like to give me a call tomorrow we can discuss this over the phone. It may also be a good idea to drop the pan on your truck to see if it is clean with good looking fluid. If it doesn't look good you should probably consider ordering a trans. Give me a call, Vince.
how much for all that. do you know what year of vehicles i could get another valve body out of.
Old 08-16-2006, 10:43 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by primal1
when this first happened i dropped the pan and changed the fluid and filter. the bootom of the pan was covered in soot. it was a real fine powder. i'm guessing from when the tranny was rebuilt. tonight my buddy w/ the scanner came over w/out it thinking he could tell by driving it. long story short he needed the scanner. he did tell me the electronic syncro (i think that is what it is) on the side was not kicking anything on. he had me shift it in and out of park and drive , he said he could not feel the relay kick in. it would not kick in theough if it is in limp mode though. he says the way it is shift though he thinks its a vacuum problem wich would come back to the parts in the valve bodyi.e. check *****, separator plate, ect. if i'm not mistaken any way. he going to come back tommorrow. to run the scan though.
There is no "electronic synchro" on the side,its a servo for the band and applies the band for 2nd/4th.Also there is no vacum involved.Dude,you need someone who knows how to correctly diagnose whats wrong.
Old 08-17-2006, 05:33 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by marooned
There is no "electronic synchro" on the side,its a servo for the band and applies the band for 2nd/4th.Also there is no vacum involved.Dude,you need someone who knows how to correctly diagnose whats wrong.
does'nt the valve body assembly control fluid flow by vacuum?