Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

2007 Chevy 1500 Transfer Case touching Rock Gaurd.

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2017, 08:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 Chevy 1500 Transfer Case touching Rock Gaurd.

I am working on a 2007 Chevy 1500 Classic and the transfer case is touching the Rock Guard. I checked the rock guard and it is not bent. When I look up towards the bottom of the oil pan the motor looks like it is sitting lower on the drivers side. I looked at the mounts and they look OK. I am not seeing anything that looks obvious, but I am thinking either wrong mount on drivers side or bad mount on the drivers side.

Has anyone run across this issue before? and what did you find?

If you look at the oil pan it is closer to the cross member on the drivers side.
Old 04-12-2017, 10:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts

Sounds like an issue with the drivers side mount sagging and possible a sagging transmission mount. Replacing the trans mount in my 99 actually picked up the back of my engine and trans at least a 1/4 inch!
Old 04-12-2017, 11:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any input on how long it takes and any tips on best method. For me I would think you could lift the motor and come in from the back underneath without have to remove a bunch of stuff from the from of the motor. However I have never done this on a newer Chevy 4x4. The last one I did was on my 69 mustang and it was super easy. Took a little over 15 minutes. I would be willing to bet that is not the case here.
Old 04-12-2017, 11:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts

Get the three bolts on the frame from the top, an extension and a swivel with a 15mm will get the 4 bolts off the block, lift engine up and you can either slide it out from the top, or from the bottom, bottom takes a little more finesse than the top with the front diff in the way... just make sure you have a block of wood big enough to cover the entire bottom of the oil pan on your floor jack or whatever youre using to lift the engine with... i seem to remember being able to get to 3 of the mount to block bolts from the top on my 99 but i also had the whole front end off the truck too!