Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

1 - 2 Shift Shudder when in Tow/Haul mode

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2013, 07:28 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1 - 2 Shift Shudder when in Tow/Haul mode

Like the title says. Went to tow a trailer today I noticed in tow/haul mode it shudders pretty bad between the 1-2 shift. Only does it with on tow/haul mode. Trailer or no trailer.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,
D
Old 12-21-2013, 01:52 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you running a shift kit or rebuilt tranny and what year is your truck?
Old 12-21-2013, 02:02 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 99 and installed a shift kit in my old 4l60 and it would do the same thing. I got a 4l60 from performabuilt and didn't have to use the tow/haul again. I also had my ecu re flashed at the dealer and it eliminated the tow/haul option. I believe it has something to do with the increased line pressure and the way it modifies the shift points.
Old 12-21-2013, 03:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

If the shudder is excessive, yet it's not a transmission issue, I would take a look at the condition of your transmission/transfer case mount (if applicable).

My 4L80E is stuck with safety default shift pressures and shift points, because I have a wobbly rear output which was screwing up my VSS, so I pulled the plug off and now it shifts just like it tow/haul mode.

It was rough at first, but only made worse by the quickly deteriorating trans. mount. I replaced it with a cheap anchor brand version, which is soft and still allows a lot of flex, but is worlds better than a worn mount.

(BTW, My transfer case rebuild came in the mail this week, just waiting for the shop to clear up so I can fit my truck in and fix it).
Old 12-22-2013, 08:37 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 600 horses
Are you running a shift kit or rebuilt tranny and what year is your truck?
06. Stock tranny, no shift kit.

Originally Posted by 600 horses
I have a 99 and installed a shift kit in my old 4l60 and it would do the same thing. I got a 4l60 from performabuilt and didn't have to use the tow/haul again. I also had my ecu re flashed at the dealer and it eliminated the tow/haul option. I believe it has something to do with the increased line pressure and the way it modifies the shift points.
My tuner messed with it, and said it was gone. I haven't tried it yet.

Originally Posted by Koots
If the shudder is excessive, yet it's not a transmission issue, I would take a look at the condition of your transmission/transfer case mount (if applicable).

My 4L80E is stuck with safety default shift pressures and shift points, because I have a wobbly rear output which was screwing up my VSS, so I pulled the plug off and now it shifts just like it tow/haul mode.

It was rough at first, but only made worse by the quickly deteriorating trans. mount. I replaced it with a cheap anchor brand version, which is soft and still allows a lot of flex, but is worlds better than a worn mount.

(BTW, My transfer case rebuild came in the mail this week, just waiting for the shop to clear up so I can fit my truck in and fix it).
No, the mount is good. I don't know if it was the tune or not. Haven't tried yet. This truck is driving me nuts.

D