Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

07 NNBS Crew Cab 6l80 swap

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2016, 11:19 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by iamkeniff
All that work when changing the wiring harness is a 10 minute job and is factory.
Great job thinking outside of the box though i like it
This is true, BUT, I want to be able to go back to the factory 4l60 if for some reason I want to. And when it takes the same 10 min to wire in a plug after I spend $30 on a dummy plug, oh well. Lol.

Any part of your experience with this swap go agains my "bolt in" theory"?

Thanks,
Branden

Last edited by blindawg; 01-09-2016 at 11:26 PM.
Old 01-10-2016, 12:22 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I did my 6spd swap with an oem harness, reflashed my ecm with a 2008 2wd denali OS at the dealer. Fired up, had no tuning issues. Adjusted ecm for the cam and drove it for a very long time like that.
I did keep my 60e harness and tcm though. Although it'll never go back 4L60e...now a 4L80e with big hp maybe

Oh and i never got around to fooling with the bcm to control the TU/TD button. A g8/ctsv/vette uses a wired connection vs a bcm to control it. I bought speartechs button/harness but never installed it.
Old 01-10-2016, 12:29 AM
Teching In

I did my 6spd swap with an oem harness, reflashed my ecm with a 2008 2wd denali OS at the dealer. Fired up, had no tuning issues. Adjusted ecm for the cam and drove it for a very long time like that.
I did keep my 60e harness and tcm though. Although it'll never go back 4L60e...now a 4L80e with big hp maybe

Oh and i never got around to fooling with the bcm to control the TU/TD button. A g8/ctsv/vette uses a wired connection vs a bcm to control it. I bought speartechs button/harness but never installed it.
I think my $30 plus the plug I have laying around is easier/cheaper than your $200+ harness? I don't mean anything by that. Just trying to justify my way of doing it to myself. Lol.

The TU/TD might be easier than we all think. My shifter stalk was suppose to show up today, but it didn't so I have no data to back that up, but I hope when it does show up, I'm right. Lol.

Thanks,
Branden
Old 01-10-2016, 12:38 AM

The shifter and oem harness has the wiring but the bcm doesn't have the program to do anything with it. I never fooled with trying to run the oem tu/td to the speartech harness. Nor dial in bypassing the bcm because i use my tow/haul button to select the gear i want for roll racing

Yeah i get what you are saying on the "budget" side. Yet simple, clean install was my concern. Like i mentioned, i like that you took a different route to the swap

Also Hammer did a 6L80e from a 4L70e (4wd truck) and his stock driveshaft fit without issue after the parts he changed in the t-case.
Old 01-10-2016, 12:48 AM
Teching In

The shifter and oem harness has the wiring but the bcm doesn't have the program to do anything with it. I never fooled with trying to run the oem tu/td to the speartech harness. Nor dial in bypassing the bcm because i use my tow/haul button to select the gear i want for roll racing

Yeah i get what you are saying on the "budget" side. Yet simple, clean install was my concern. Like i mentioned, i like that you took a different route to the swap

Also Hammer did a 6L80e from a 4L70e (4wd truck) and his stock driveshaft fit without issue after the parts he changed in the t-case.
The shifters send out a signal between 5-12v. I don't know much about resistors, and how many volts come out the back side of a 8.25kohm resistor, but I know if the same resistors are present in the truck shifter as the Vette shifter, a guy could run a single wire to the TCM and bypass the BCM with the Vette tune.

I'll have to make sure to get a few pictures of my wiring job. I think it will be more factory looking than you think.

I finally found his thread again! I found it in the beginning of my research and lost it. Till now that is. but that's great news! It looks like I need to get the 6l80 transfer case adapter. I forgot about that little fella. Thanks for bringing him up!

Branden
Old 01-10-2016, 02:49 AM

Please do. I enjoy new info and pictures are a great for the people who hate reading (me)

Yeah i have no idea about all the resistor stuff.

You are more than welcome
Old 01-18-2016, 04:13 PM
Teching In

So we finally got the last project off the lift and put mine on and started to tear it apart.
Name:  89883AAA-B1A3-42CE-95B5-BBEA611F80AC_zpspapm91qh.jpg
Views: 4013
Size:  165.4 KB

Had to replace ball joints too.
Old 01-18-2016, 10:33 PM

Lowers are easy, and uppers are a pain only due to it being a full control arm replacement

How's the progress coming so far
Old 01-18-2016, 10:45 PM
Teching In

Lowers are easy, and uppers are a pain only due to it being a full control arm replacement

How's the progress coming so far
Yea, decided to do struts too. 185k. It needs them. Along with new sway bar end links beings one was busted.
We got the front end torn apart and front diff pulled out so I can replace the leaky oil pan gasket. Got the exhaust off. Had one sticky bolt that broke so all in all that wasn't too bad.

Then I had to head into work. 2nd shift sucks. I am working a double tomorrow so no progress till Wednesday but we'll probably be able to get the 4l60 pulled and 6l80 put back in, possibly along with the transfer case. We'll see. Struts won't be here till Friday so not in a huge hurry yet.

I took Friday off already and am most likely going to take Thursday off, too so we can get it buttoned up. If it was just putting the 6l80 in it would be a breeze. Lol.

Branden
Old 01-18-2016, 11:17 PM

That's a list of stuff. Glad you are getting it knocked out

Quick Reply: 07 NNBS Crew Cab 6l80 swap