Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

04 ss transfercase options

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2011, 11:04 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't swap anything,if you want to do burnouts just put a bunch more power too it! Smokey 4 wheel burnouts are where it's at!!!!
Old 04-24-2011, 01:13 AM

Originally Posted by budhayes3
That makes sense, the main difference is the passenger side axle and tube...on the 4x4, as TIM Z said, when 4x4 is selected, the r/s axle locks and the transfer case transfers power to the front diff. In 2wd, the r/s axle unlocks and the tcase no longer sends power to the front diff. Not sure if there will be any issues with having the r/s axle locked in while in 2wd, but I don't see why there would. Kinda like the manual locking hubs...you can lock them and still drive around in 2wd. To use the a 4x4 tcase you need the 4x4 front drive shaft also, as they are different lengths.

There are guys who have gone from 4wd to awd, with a setup like mine, and kept their front axle housing by locking the r/s axle by selecting 4wd, then unplugging it
the drive shaft length makes sense.... i guess my last question is will just simply swapping in a 4x4 tcase and changing the drive shaft length, ( i would probably just have one custom made) work, while keeping the awd front diff. ? oh and i would probably have to use a different rear shaft also ?

thanks for all the help guys.
Old 04-28-2011, 01:40 AM

If you swap in a selectable transfer case then their are two things I see that could be a problem but you could live with it. First the front drive line will be turning all the time with no way to unlock the hubs. Second you will not have the viscous coupling the in the selectable Tcase like is in the AWD Tcase so it will hop badly in corners also it will not turn as tight of a turning radious as the AWD Tcase whould due to the viscous coupling but if you can live with that then is should work. Also you will have to find a manual selected Tcase unless you plan to make some type of electronic controller to lock in and out an electric Tcase. Either way is doable but just understand no more AWD in cornering if you swap out the AWD Tcase.
Old 05-02-2011, 10:39 PM

so the front end will start wheel hopping? damn ! well the only other option is that if the 4x4 trucks some one said something about when you select 4x4 or 2 wheel drive "the front axel/ diff unlocks on locks" at least thats what i understood from they said.

if that be the case, could someone go about building a switch to just unlock the front Axel and run the awd t case? im just trying to weigh out the options, and get parts together and prices and such.

thanks for all the great feed back again and when i do the swap i will post pics and lots of info on any problems i may run into.
Old 05-03-2011, 01:43 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by pdrcountryboy
so the front end will start wheel hopping? damn ! well the only other option is that if the 4x4 trucks some one said something about when you select 4x4 or 2 wheel drive "the front axel/ diff unlocks on locks" at least thats what i understood from they said.

if that be the case, could someone go about building a switch to just unlock the front Axel and run the awd t case? im just trying to weigh out the options, and get parts together and prices and such.

thanks for all the great feed back again and when i do the swap i will post pics and lots of info on any problems i may run into.
I don't see why the front end will hop if the t-case is in 2wd mode, because, as mentioned, there is no power going through it. The AWD case has a solid r/s axle, which is the same as having the 4x4 locked, only the AWD case has the viscous coupling as mentioned. The front axles/diff will just be along for the ride. If you run it in 4x4, on dry pavement, it will bind though since the 4x4 t-case uses a chain vs. the AWD viscous coupler, and everything will be locked in.

No need to get a custom drive shaft made, just get a front 4x4 driveshaft. If you get a t-case out of a wrecked 4x4, you may be able to get the front drive shaft fairly cheap also

I've heard different things about the rear driveshaft though...seems some guys have used their original driveshaft without any problems while others had to get theirs either shortened or lengthened, depending on which way they swapped. It also depends if you're lowered or not...
Old 05-04-2011, 12:58 AM
On The Tree

I was told by several ppl that with the nvg149 t-case if u were 2 take out ur front Shaft and drive around u would only make it a 1000 miles give or take b4 u burnt up ur t-case so I don't think make a set up that locks and unlocks the front axle and just leaving it n Awd would b a good way 2 go.
Old 05-04-2011, 10:24 AM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 04herod
I was told by several ppl that with the nvg149 t-case if u were 2 take out ur front Shaft and drive around u would only make it a 1000 miles give or take b4 u burnt up ur t-case so I don't think make a set up that locks and unlocks the front axle and just leaving it n Awd would b a good way 2 go.
This is my understanding also...
Old 05-04-2011, 02:40 PM
On The Tree

Here you go.

Originally Posted by GM eSI
The NVG 149 RPO NP3 is a single speed, single mode transfer case. The mode is full-time all wheel drive. It has a planetary differential gear set that splits the torque, normally 38 percent to the front wheels and 62 percent to the rear wheels.

The NVG 149 utilizes magnesium housings. Proper fasteners, brackets, and fill/drain plugs must be used to prevent galvanic corrosion. The planetary differential uses the carrier (6) as the input. The annulus gear (4) connects to the rear output shaft (5) and rear wheels. The sun gear (3) connects to the front output shaft (7) and front wheels through the chain (8) and sprockets. The viscous coupling (2) consists of a sealed housing filled with a high viscosity silicone fluid and thin steel plates alternately splined to the inner and outer drum. The inner drum is connected to the input shaft (1), and the outer drum to the sun gear (3). Whenever there is a speed difference between the front and rear wheels, the inner and outer plates of the viscous coupling spin relative to each other and the silicone fluid provides resistance. The resistance was tuned to be high enough to bias power quickly to the wheels with traction, and low enough to prevent binding in a tight turn on dry surfaces. This is the most common way the viscous coupling is activated, the shear mode. If the speed difference is high, the coupling can lock or hump. This "hump" occurs when the heat generated, expands the fluid inside the housing, changing the fluid dynamics between the plates. This results in pressure between the plates, forcing them into contact with each other, similar to a clutch pack. In the hump mode, the coupling can bias torque 100 percent to one axle, if required. Situations requiring this are extreme such as backing up a steep gravel grade or climbing over off-road obstacles. The viscous coupling is not serviceable; it must be replaced if defective. This is because each viscous coupling is calibrated for optimum vehicle performance for both the shear and hump modes. If the viscous coupling is in the "hump" mode too long, severe damage will occur.

To prevent damage to the viscous coupling, DO NOT:

• Tow with only two wheels down
• Drive without one propshaft
• Drive with a "donut" spare tire for an extended period of time
• Operate the vehicle on a hoist to diagnose the driveline components
Old 05-11-2016, 11:18 PM

Originally Posted by budhayes3
The selectable AutoTrak transfer case will swap right in, but you'll also need the front driveshaft, front diff housing (different r/s internal axle shaft since it engages and disengages as opposed to being a one piece that the AWD's have), switch, encoder motor, and 4wd computer to make it work. My truck has exactly what you're looking for, and actually I want your set up as I want to make mine full time AWD instead of selectable 4x4 (also has auto 4x4). Would you consider swapping your t-case/front drivetrain with somebody? My t-case is in perfect condition as I opened it up and inspected it last summer when I did my trans swap. I also installed the updated pump clip that's necessary to prevent the original clip from breaking and allowing the pump to rock around and wear a hole through the case, which is made of magnesium)

Shoot me up with a PM if you're interested
Is the harness for the buttons already there or do you have to splice a new one into the existing one.