FUEL SYSTEMS For things such as pumps, lines, set-ups, line routing, fuel cell mounting, etc.,etc....all fuel related discussions!

Walbro 450 Hotwire kit????

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2018, 02:44 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Walbro 450 Hotwire kit????

I am looking to buy a Walbro 450 Hotwire kit for my 2009 GMC Sierra or if someone has detail pictures/instructions on how to build one. Tried contacting Racetronix twice now haven’t hear anything back in a week. Maybe someone has the Racetronix part number for Hotwire kit

thanks
Old 04-09-2018, 09:18 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Racetronix - FPWH-008 - GM SUV/Car 280 Fuel Pump Wiring Harness
Old 04-10-2018, 07:20 AM
TECH Addict

Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts

use the thread three6gmc did
Old 04-11-2018, 12:02 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if you click on the link that hutch provided it shows a nice clear picture of the wiring. your fuel hat will have four wire connector to it; power, ground, fuel level + and fuel level -. this hot wire kit uses the factory power signal to trigger a relay which pulls power directly from battery/alternator. in the kit they use factory male/ female connectors to pass the fuel level sensor wires to the computer as well as divert the power wire to the relay. their kit is nice and plugs right in - you just need to verify the connector type that you have on your fuel hat , either the flat four connectors or a square connector. they have kits for both. when i added a second fuel pump i just built my own custom harness.

_zblee
Old 04-11-2018, 04:34 PM
Staging Lane

And be sure to use a 25 amp fuse with the 450. Mine came with a 20a and it eventually started melting the fuse and holder. They warrantied it, sent me the parts to fix along with some 25a fuses.
Old 04-11-2018, 04:47 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by rpm-inc
And be sure to use a 25 amp fuse with the 450. Mine came with a 20a and it eventually started melting the fuse and holder. They warrantied it, sent me the parts to fix along with some 25a fuses.
if its melting then you need to get a better quality fuse holder. if it is not breaking the fuse then its not drawing more than 20amps...

the racetronix kit comes with 20a and that should be just fine. a single 450 @ 58psi is only supposed to draw UNDER 17amps so if you blow a 20 amp then there is something wrong ( a good reason why you should not put a 25a fuse )

i have had issue where the fuses on my efans were melting and it was an issue with the fuse holder , not the fuse size.

_Zblee
Old 04-11-2018, 05:04 PM
Staging Lane

The harness IS a Racetronix harness. Racetronix told me to use the 25 amp. Gonna go look at the fuse and holder now. Mine was drawing 17 amps. Maybe it spikes at startup. I can check that too.

EDIT-Fuse and holder are fine after a few thousand miles. The 20a fuse and holder had about 10000 miles maybe.

Your explanation makes sense, and is what I originally thought. Fuse should blow before anything melts. I don't know. I talked with racetronix through their online support forum for people who have bought something....Took a while to get approved to post.

Last edited by rpm-inc; 04-11-2018 at 05:16 PM.
Old 04-11-2018, 08:24 PM
On The Tree

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by zblee
if its melting then you need to get a better quality fuse holder. if it is not breaking the fuse then its not drawing more than 20amps...

the racetronix kit comes with 20a and that should be just fine. a single 450 @ 58psi is only supposed to draw UNDER 17amps so if you blow a 20 amp then there is something wrong ( a good reason why you should not put a 25a fuse )

i have had issue where the fuses on my efans were melting and it was an issue with the fuse holder , not the fuse size.

_Zblee
^^^Yup. If wire is melting, there is too much resistance to the load. Period. Fuse size will not cure anything. Many inline fuse holders have too much resistance. I've seen that many many times.
Old 04-12-2018, 05:18 AM
Staging Lane

Well I will keep an eye on it. And to clarify, it was the fuse melting, not the wire, if that matters.
Old 04-12-2018, 11:41 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by rpm-inc
Well I will keep an eye on it. And to clarify, it was the fuse melting, not the wire, if that matters.
yeah you see its not poping the fuse so its still under the rated amount. this is an issue with the holder. when i had issues i had my holder too close to the engine which was causing it to get just hot enough to warp the holder and it caused a bad connection at the fuse and got hot and melted everything. i bought some really nice car audio bolt in fuse holders and they did the same thing. i moved them away from the engine (with some of the cheapo holders that melted initially) and they are working perfect for a much longer time period now.

_zblee

Quick Reply: Walbro 450 Hotwire kit????