FUEL SYSTEMS For things such as pumps, lines, set-ups, line routing, fuel cell mounting, etc.,etc....all fuel related discussions!

EXTRA fuel capacity: 2002 Tahoe

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2017, 07:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
Default EXTRA fuel capacity: 2002 Tahoe

Stock fuel tank on 2002 Tahoe is 26 gallons.
My Fuel pumps gets really loud after using 21 gallons, engine still runs fine.
Will still push up to 60 PSI, but makes an awful racket.
Would like to extend my on board fuel range, either an auxiliary tank that can pump 6 gallons or so INTO the main tank with it's own internal pump, OR an aftermarket LARGE capacity fuel tank, if anyone markets such a thing....
. Anybody have tips, or info ?
Old 07-14-2017, 08:59 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I briefly looked into this a while back when I had my 2001 Tahoe that I was building up. My focus for that build was more toward a Expedition/excursion/Overland type of build. That was a few years. The build never really made it past the lift kit and tires before somebody offered me a ridiculous amount of money to buy it so it got sold. If I remember correctly there was talk back then of people using the factory tank out of a OBS 2 door Tahoe which has a 30 gallon capacity. If I remember correctly they would mount get behind the rear axle in the NBS Tahoe and it didn't take much to make it work. They had to make tank straps to hold it up and they would use a cheap electric pump on A switch to feed the factory tank when needed. Like I said this was quite a few years ago when I looked into it and the details in my head are kind of foggy. I can't remember which for him I read about it on but it was either pirate 4 x 4 or expedition portal. Hopefully this will point you in a direction.
Old 10-20-2017, 04:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

This is a bump for new info?

Back from a 10,000 mile 11 state + 3 province road trip.
Fuel capacity was our main impediment, a few time we could only find 87 octane pump gas, and had to use aux fuel cans a LOT more than we liked.
Still like either a 30 plus gallon main tank, or a well fitted 20 gallon auxilliary tank.
Anyone ??
Old 10-20-2017, 04:48 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Fullpower
This is a bump for new info?

Back from a 10,000 mile 11 state + 3 province road trip.
Fuel capacity was our main impediment, a few time we could only find 87 octane pump gas, and had to use aux fuel cans a LOT more than we liked.
Still like either a 30 plus gallon main tank, or a well fitted 20 gallon auxilliary tank.
Anyone ??
Z71Tahoe-Suburban.com > Auxiliary Fuel Tank