FUEL SYSTEMS For things such as pumps, lines, set-ups, line routing, fuel cell mounting, etc.,etc....all fuel related discussions!

drop in replacement fuel pump

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2018, 03:12 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default drop in replacement fuel pump

I have a 2002 Chevy Silverado and the fuel level sending unit is failing. the truck has a cam and might be close to maxing the oem fuel system. I would like to upgrade to something like a walbro 255. is there a drop in replacement kit with a walbro 255 or something similar? I don't need anything like a dual 450 kit.
Old 10-15-2018, 03:35 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1,433 Likes on 1,061 Posts

If its not a flex fuel truck, Racetronix should have a module for you. I find it easier to call them than to navigate their site.

If it is a flex fuel truck, they dont have a module. You can do an OEM flex fuel pump ~$200 or you can modify your bucket to accept a 255, its not difficult. I ran a modified bucket with a 255 from 2012 to just recently as the 255 was losing fuel above 4k rpm. I am now back on an OEM flex fuel pump, but I am currently only making 300whp. The 255 got me all the way to 477whp.
Old 10-15-2018, 03:42 PM
Teching In

I think I would be close to maxing out the flex fuel pump. I modified the canister on my grand prix to accept the walbro 255 and would rather not do it again, but it sounds like that is what I'll have to do. maybe I'll buy a canister and modify it before I pull the pump out.

edit: guess I'll give racetronix a call
Old 10-15-2018, 03:47 PM
TOTM: January 2007

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Racetronix has a drop in module which took me past 500rwhp. Worked great, and never had any starvation issues. Jet pumped worked great at keeping the bucket full.
Old 10-15-2018, 05:28 PM
TECH Veteran

So Ive been through all this already on a 2002 Flex Fuel (within the last 3 wks), there is no Racetronix drop in upgrade for early gen flex fuels. The flex fuel pump flows at minimum 35% more fuel than the regular pump. I doubt you will be maxing it out, especially without boost. And even boosted there have been success stories of ppl running 10psi on the flex pumps. Def do your reading before you discount it as "not enough"

Now, since you arent an OEM flex fuel truck, Racetronix has a module for you, just give them a call and they will set you up with it, and they'll want to sell you a hot wire kit.

Final thing, jet pump keeps the pump cool but it doesnt help with starvation, the pump draws fuel from outside the bucket at all times.
Old 10-15-2018, 08:30 PM
Teching In

I know it's probably overkill at this point, but I found this:

https://www.highflowfuel.com/i-23907...1999-2003.html
Old 10-15-2018, 08:34 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Tu 432HP-2 is what I used on my non flex fuel 02 Silverado. Came from Racetronix but there are other sources. Hot wire kit is a good idea as well.
Old 10-15-2018, 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by arthursc2
Final thing, jet pump keeps the pump cool but it doesnt help with starvation, the pump draws fuel from outside the bucket at all times.
The jet pump fills the bucket and keeps it full regardless of tank level which prevent starvation under acceleration in low fuel conditions. A full bucket will also keep the pump cooler.
Old 10-16-2018, 09:44 AM
TECH Veteran

If you can provide validated proof that some how the jet pump prevents starvation, I'll consider changing my mind, all thats out there is wives tales and opinion.

However, the physics dont add up. The bucket holds ~1L of fuel, fuel that doesnt drain out except over the top of the bucket. So, youre telling me that you believe a starving pump can feed itself fuel, while starving, to prevent starving? What is that fuel in the bucket supposed to do? It doesnt drain out the bottom, there is a 1 way valve there, so its not draining to where the pump can get it easily. The pump still draws all of its fuel through the sock at the bottom of the bucket. The pump does not utilize the fuel in the bucket, and the pump is the one that puts the fuel in the bucket. Its not a perpetual motion machine. If the pump is starving, its starving. It cant be starving and pumping itself fuel to prevent starving.

Keeping the bucket full of fuel doesnt help/prevent/change starvation.
Old 10-16-2018, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by arthursc2
If you can provide validated proof that some how the jet pump prevents starvation, I'll consider changing my mind, all thats out there is wives tales and opinion.

However, the physics dont add up. The bucket holds ~1L of fuel, fuel that doesnt drain out except over the top of the bucket. So, youre telling me that you believe a starving pump can feed itself fuel, while starving, to prevent starving? What is that fuel in the bucket supposed to do? It doesnt drain out the bottom, there is a 1 way valve there, so its not draining to where the pump can get it easily. The pump still draws all of its fuel through the sock at the bottom of the bucket. The pump does not utilize the fuel in the bucket, and the pump is the one that puts the fuel in the bucket. Its not a perpetual motion machine. If the pump is starving, its starving. It cant be starving and pumping itself fuel to prevent starving.

Keeping the bucket full of fuel doesnt help/prevent/change starvation.
Wives tails and opinions:

The fill-bucket is equipped with two inlets on the bottom. The equalization checkvalve is used to fill the bucket when the level of fuel in the tank is greater than in the bucket. The equalization checkvalve does not allow fuel to exit the bucket. The venturi system's inlet is a combination checkvalve and powered suction system. The factory pump supplies pressurized fuel via a small tube which feeds a calibrated jet inside the venturi system. This jet of fuel shoots across the base of the checkvalve inlet thereby creating a suction effect which draws more fuel from the bottom of the tank through the filter sock. This venturi system keeps the bucket full all the time even when the fuel tank is almost empty. A full bucket keeps the pump immersed in fuel regardless of the tank level so that when the tank is low on gas and you are doing some hard cornering or acceleration the pump does not run dry and start aerating (air bubbles) the fuel. This happens as the fuel sloshes from side to side in the tank leaving the center low on fuel. This can cause detonation and possible engine damage. The plastic tanks have no baffling in them so the bucket is very important. The bucket also allows the car to operate with lower fuel levels in the tank due to its scavenging effect. The fill-bucket improves motor crank-to-run time as the priming time is reduced under most conditions. The return line feeds the pressure regulator on the fuel module which diverts fuel back into the bucket so that the unused fuel also helps keep it full at all times. Keeping the pump constantly immersed in gas within the bucket can extend the pump's life by not allowing it to be exposed to open air. Open air within the tank contains moisture and in time will cause the pump to rust / seize up especially if left to sit for long periods of time without the tank topped-up (i.e. winter storage).

Quick Reply: drop in replacement fuel pump