FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

Whipple or Magnuson?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2014, 11:10 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whipple or Magnuson?

I have a 2004 Silverado SS AWD and thought I had decided on the Magnuson TVS 2300 Jackshaft. Recently, I'm finding out that if you spin them too high, they break - which is making me do a little more research before committing 7.5k on the Maggie.

Does anyone have any experience with the Whipple? I was on their website reading about the new Camaro blower they have which looked pretty impressive - just wondered if anyone has some advice on which way to go. Thanks!
Old 03-02-2014, 12:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

honestly man , all joking aside , if your looking for big power your looking in the wrong direction. start looking at prochargers or turbos . seems like you have a decent budget and could get a procharger or turbo kit , fuel system, nice intake and then some with what your going to spend on just a 2300 kit.
Old 03-02-2014, 12:40 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go turbo
Old 03-02-2014, 01:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...827/?styleid=1

Check out this thread for some good Whipple experience. See post #116 for Whipple vs Maggie.
Old 03-02-2014, 04:38 PM
12 Second Truck Club

ijust put my whipple on 2 weeks ago and i love every minute of it!! my buddy has a tvs 2300, and he says mine pulls way harder up top. whipple kit is hands down a better engineered kit. all hose/fittings are like factory qk disconnects
Old 03-02-2014, 05:20 PM
11 sec. Truck Mod

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think the first question to be asked is how much power do you want to make , how fast do you want to go , and where do you want your powerband ?
Mostly street some strip or all strip?

If you want a blower then talk to Joe @Leftcoast 32 , he only made 1000 horse on a Maggie .
Old 03-03-2014, 05:08 AM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks for all the input gentlemen! I know there are pros and cons to every forced induction system and I want something that's going to be reliable that I can drive every day if I wanted to - although it's obviously not my DD. It will definitely see more city driving than track runs, and I want it to be fast. Ultimately, who knows where this build will lead me since it's my very first one, and knowing me, I'll probably end up wanting to be in the 10's after all's said and done.

I'm hoping if I choose the right heads, cam, etc. the Maggie would get me there since I've heard it's the most reliable and has the best Customer Service. Although I like what I've read about the Whipple and I think it may be able to produce more power, I've also heard their Cust. Service sucks, plus not nearly as many people run the Whipple in comparison to the Maggie. That means more help in the forums with the Maggie. Turbo's are sweet and probably have the most potential but I would be concerned about the reliability - ProCharger isn't even a consideration for my build as I want something that's more original and better low end torque.

So, this is my reasoning for Whipple vs. Maggie - it will be one of the two and do appreciate everyone's opinion on this, so thanks again!

Here's a link to the Whipple I'm considering:
http://www.whipplesuperchargers.com/...sp?ProdID=1243

Didn't mean to insult you on your trans. selection either Idaho, so sorry if my comment came off like that in my other thread. I appreciate your help.

Last edited by L8ERBRO; 03-03-2014 at 05:52 AM.

Trending Topics

Old 03-03-2014, 07:45 AM
TECH Senior Member

A Maggie will get it done and for a good price.

There is dozens of threads and people seem to love them.
Old 03-03-2014, 08:21 AM
Admin

Received 216 Likes on 172 Posts

Here is the thing, getting a EC into the 10's is not easy esp. at full weight. ( Ok with enough money anything is easy) Would it be easier with a turbo? Yep. However it will also be easier to blow your motor up also given the fact that you are learning most of this as you go. There are allot guys on this site that have been doing this for awhile and have blown up their setups do to mistakes that they made resulting in a over boost. A TVS or Whipple should give you great power and reliability as well as instant torque. I really like my TVS and I have had and tuned other blower setups.

Dont get me wrong, at some point I have a turbo build planned and I will be shooting for allot more HP but not on my Denali. My truck is a heavy turd, but yet it runs good times and has awesome throttle response. There is no waiting for anything, when you hit the pedal it goes and there are no reliability issues. The times in my sig was run with a TB that was sucking closed on top end and I was also short shifting it by 600 or so RPM trying to prevent it. I have since rectified that issue as it was a weak LS3 tb servo motor. On that note, a couple more PSI and a few good passes and I think I can hit a Mid 11. If we had E85 around here I could have a bit more fun even at my current boost but its no go.

Its all in what you want man.

Last edited by 03sierraslt; 03-03-2014 at 08:41 AM.
Old 03-03-2014, 08:32 AM

Received 61 Likes on 60 Posts

The whipple is a much larger unit (2.3 liter maggie vs 2.9 liter whipple).

There have been a couple guys who use that 2.9 whipple with nice results... if its 10's youre shooting for and the budget is there then the whipple is a sweet choice.

I think the 2300 will definitely get you there with the right combo, but this just may be one of those 'no replacement for displacement' type of situations... in a weird backwards kind of way.

Put it this way... I don't think its a coincidence that GM uses the 2300 on the ZR1, but that COPO uses this whipple for their all out camaro.

Quick Reply: Whipple or Magnuson?