FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

TVS2300 on an 8.1L.....thoughts, opinions, feedback.

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2009, 04:36 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default TVS2300 on an 8.1L.....thoughts, opinions, feedback.

This is a continuation from an older thread.....

https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...d.php?t=436901

Just as a recap, I have decided to go with a TVS2300 and custom intake to mount it on. At the end of the day, i was just not happy with the level of customer support (none) i was getting from Whipple when trying to get help with this project. However, there are still some variables that have not been completely worked out yet and I would like some opinions from you guys.

I have talked to Brian and i tried to get him to whip me up a TVS3000 but he said no ....however, he did assure me that the TVS2300 would be up to the task of supplying the 8.1L with enough air (10psi is my goal). The 8.1L redlines at 4950, so the first hurdle is how to get the TVS to spin fast enough to get me to the 8-10psi range. Brian figured in order to get 10psi with a 3" blower pulley, i would need a 9.25" crank pulley.......he agreed that thats not very feasable. My other option is to go with the jack shaft design so that the blower can be over driven.....this seems like the best way to go. Question is whether or not to try to go with a secondary drive belt for the blower, or drive it with the primary belt. If i drive it with the primary belt, can I get away with the existing 6 rib at 8-10psi or do i need to upgrade to an 8 rib? Also, how much more heat am I going to make (IAT's) spinning this blower up that fast? A larger intercooler core will be replacing the TVS core so that should help the already impressive IAT's the TVS makes. Going with the manifold mount blower is really going to clean up and make a lot more room to work inside the engine bay.....might even be able to change the spark plugs with out taking off the front tires

Can anyone hypothisize HP/TQ numbers? Estimated improved 1/4 mile ET's? Power curves? What differences can I expect from a TVS2300 over what i see now with the 2.3L Whipple? Before my headers, exhaust, inline pump, and 60lb injectors i was right around 420hp/520tq at the rear wheels. My best pass was a 13.43 with my current MODs in my sig.

I dont want to get into discussions about the manifold build just yet as there is still a lot of unknowns right now. If everything goes smooth (and it probably wont ), it will probably be a month or better before i get it in the truck and running.
Old 05-03-2009, 04:55 PM
TECH Addict

This deff has my attention...
Old 05-03-2009, 05:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll be watching this one too. Breaking new ground here and this should be interesting.
Good Luck!
Old 05-03-2009, 06:15 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

have rick @ trick hook you up with two!!!! sorry no real help here, just a thought.
Old 05-03-2009, 06:23 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 4.8T
have rick @ trick hook you up with two!!!! sorry no real help here, just a thought.
Sure...and just leave the hood off?
Old 05-03-2009, 06:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll guess you get a full second 12.43 and be able to hot lap it with out much loss of power. I will bet it makes the boost you want really quick, Supersub is getting 10psi at part throttle.

I bet you could get more out of it but you would start to stress and over rev the engine.

cant wait to see what the manifold looks like. You should throw a big *** IC core inthere
Old 05-03-2009, 06:55 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Whippled 496
Sure...and just leave the hood off?
naw..cut a hole and make a huge custom fiberglass cowl
Old 05-03-2009, 10:40 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by OnyxSilveradoSS
I'll guess you get a full second 12.43 and be able to hot lap it with out much loss of power. I will bet it makes the boost you want really quick, Supersub is getting 10psi at part throttle.

I bet you could get more out of it but you would start to stress and over rev the engine.

cant wait to see what the manifold looks like. You should throw a big *** IC core inthere
Hope you are right....hell i would be happy with a 12.99 pass. The intercooler core will hopefully be twice the thickness of the stock TVS core.
Old 05-04-2009, 07:34 AM
Hunt&Fisherator

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Definitely sounds interesting!

Who do you have in mind to build the manifold/tub for you??
Old 05-04-2009, 12:03 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by silver-mod-o
Definitely sounds interesting!

Who do you have in mind to build the manifold/tub for you??
The manifold build has already started. They are asking to keep it under wraps right now until some details are worked out and decisions are made...... just in case things do not go as planned.

Still looking for some opinions....or pros and cons of the different setups. This is really not something all that new if you think about it. The only new ground we are breaking here is the actual mating of a TVS2300 to an 8.1L. The TVS has been strapped to a few 427's already. And more than a few 8.1Ls have gone FI. The only real question is how the TVS will perform on the 8.1L. I am hoping for similar results like the 427 guys have seen. I dont know if the TVS has ever been installed on something larger than a 427 yet or not.....I guess Brian would know. I just want to make sure the correct decisions are made during the build. Belt setups, belt types, and anything the guys who have went down this road already can offer. Any advice Brian? Has the TVS ever been on anything bigger than a 427 yet? How about IAT's when trying to spin this thing up fast enough to fill up the 8.1L?

Quick Reply: TVS2300 on an 8.1L.....thoughts, opinions, feedback.