FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

Turbo Princinples for Load,as Towing?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2018, 05:38 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by smokeshow
Heat. Plan accordingly for heat buildup everywhere. Everything intended to reject heat needs to be upgraded.
One of my frequently traveled routes is patrolled by no less than 5 separate agencies of Johnny Law.I live in an emission-crazy State and County.The emission rules for the truck are relaxed some,due to the age of the vehicle,for the inspection.

Cats(the appearance of) are still required.

Does this take the project to Mid-Mount territory?
Old 04-22-2018, 06:00 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by EarlH
Hmmm...would a PD Supercharger be better for this application?
I just said the word "Turbo" for the first time last week without stuttering.
Old 04-22-2018, 08:12 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 134 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by MrJuanderful
I am doing a custom frame off truck build.5.3 with E85.9K truck pulling 10k trailer..
I think I mentioned somewhere,when it comes to my needs,its all about compromise.I travel unloaded,9000 lb.truck more than 80% of the miles.I tow a trailer(s) from 7000 to 13,000 lbs, probably less than 20% of the time.Terrain in my area is generally pretty flat.Trips of maybe an hour usually.
What kind of custom truck is this that is 9k lbs?
With 9000 lbs unloaded, 22,000 lbs loaded, no 5.3L of any flavor is going to be happy. That weight is big block or diesel territory.
Old 04-22-2018, 11:25 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by BigKID
What kind of custom truck is this that is 9k lbs?
With 9000 lbs unloaded, 22,000 lbs loaded, no 5.3L of any flavor is going to be happy. That weight is big block or diesel territory.
It's a project,daily work truck,for a little show and mostly go.The truck it will replace is similar equipped,and with tools and equpment is 9000#,with a stock 6.0.It tows the stuff currently.It is adequate...if you are not spoiled.

I may just build a 6.0 LQ4 with a higher compression ratio than stock(E85),then boost it.I will probably find a low mile runner just the same as I can find a 5.3.

I am around diesel equipment all week,and believe me,it is nice to get a break from the noise,smell and taste of it,for me anyway.And to roll down the window and have a normal conversation with someone.
Old 04-22-2018, 12:33 PM
I have a gauge for that

Received 373 Likes on 254 Posts

If you dont intend on taking apart the bottom end and regapping the rings you want something around 150k miles on it. Too new and the rings are too tight and will not be happy with boost.
Old 04-22-2018, 01:09 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Atomic
If you dont intend on taking apart the bottom end and regapping the rings you want something around 150k miles on it. Too new and the rings are too tight and will not be happy with boost.
I think I will put word out locally for an LQ9,for flat tops. I would take things apart and take a good look at everything,send crank for polishing,mains,etc.

Yeah,new rings and gap them. I am not in a super hurry,and I can't stand 2nd guessing myself.

Small chamber heads on E85 should be pretty decent out of boost.
Old 04-22-2018, 04:29 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1,433 Likes on 1,061 Posts

I wish you'd just tell us make model and year already instead of being so "secretive" about it. Not like anyone here is gonna steal your idea, but we are curious to see what this truck is and what it's gonna do for a living.
Old 04-22-2018, 07:09 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just said the word "Turbo" for the first time last week without stuttering.
This is actually a good thread for me. I have been vacillating back and forth between staying with whipple 2.9 or going turbo. I want to up the boost from 10lbs to 15 or so, subing in LT4 for current L86 thats in there now. I prefer turbos, but know what to expect when getting things sorted out (e.g. heat mgmt, misc stuff, etc.). Truck is daily and will tow the race cars...open trailer for now, but likely moving to 24-28" enclosed. Cars are 3,500 and 4,500lbs respectively. Engine is 6.2 DI. I hadn't factored in the extra heat that a turbo would generate when towing under load. So anybody towing with 2.9 whipple that has been turned up to say 15lbs of boost.
Old 04-23-2018, 05:56 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by EarlH
This is actually a good thread for me. I have been vacillating back and forth between staying with whipple 2.9 or going turbo. I want to up the boost from 10lbs to 15 or so, subing in LT4 for current L86 thats in there now. I prefer turbos, but know what to expect when getting things sorted out (e.g. heat mgmt, misc stuff, etc.). Truck is daily and will tow the race cars...open trailer for now, but likely moving to 24-28" enclosed. Cars are 3,500 and 4,500lbs respectively. Engine is 6.2 DI. I hadn't factored in the extra heat that a turbo would generate when towing under load. So anybody towing with 2.9 whipple that has been turned up to say 15lbs of boost.
Yes,I did some poking around for a while,and it is not easy to find a whole lot of experience...good,bad or disaster for gasoline turbos operating under steady load for extended periods.And not even a whole lot of folks towing with gas superchargers as well,sharing some feedback.

Saving grace in my situation is the very flat terrain that I do business in.When I do have to pull something heavy up a hill,it is something that gets your attention.
Old 04-23-2018, 06:01 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by arthursc2
I wish you'd just tell us make model and year already instead of being so "secretive" about it. Not like anyone here is gonna steal your idea, but we are curious to see what this truck is and what it's gonna do for a living.
It's not a project that is gonna make the folks at SEMA all twitchy,lol. I have a lot of the components together,and much of the body-type fab is going to take a while.A little much to describe at this point,and pretty scattered.

Quick Reply: Turbo Princinples for Load,as Towing?