FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

turbo oil restrictors....

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2009, 07:05 PM
Hunt&Fisherator

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Default turbo oil restrictors....

Just wondering what you front mount turbo guys are running for oil restrictors. After my oil heats up I notice a drop in pressure simply because there's basically a pressurized open ended 1/8 line running from the oil blockoff plate... What do you have and how do they install?
Old 02-06-2009, 07:12 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nitrous jets work great.
Old 02-06-2009, 07:12 PM
single digit dreamer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

most of the time i have not ran any restrictor. my oil presure isn't low either.

the only time we have ran a restrictor it was in our fairmont project because we were geting smoke from the mp70 turbo. i think it helped on that turbo but none of the precision turbos needed it even at 60+psi of oil presure.

i dont know what size we used. i did a search on tech and did what other were doing. seems like it was a 60 or a 70 nitrous jet.
Old 02-06-2009, 07:14 PM
single digit dreamer

oh, how.

i took the -4 90 fitting that was in the turbo and ground the cone part off of it. then drilled out the middle so a nitrous jet would sit flush into the fitting. then put the jet in and tighten it up.

it does seep a little. try and grind/sand that fitting as flat and square as you can.
Old 02-06-2009, 07:36 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i took a press-in grease nipple and touched the back end with a grinder, this allows the spring and check-valve to fall out and leaves the hole in the head end open which happens to be the right size for a restricter. Then i took the oil fitting in the top of the turbo and drilled it to the proper size for the press in nipple. Pressed the nipple in then re-installed the oil fitting. Seems to work fine.
Old 02-06-2009, 08:33 PM
Hunt&Fisherator

I'm talking less than 10psi(oil pressure)... Nothing significant. Is there anything I can bolt in and go?
My luck if I tried to modify a jet or something to work I will have a big badass leak on my hands... This is an MP70 turbo as well Jim. This one doesn't have but a few miles on it, no oil thru the seals, yet...
Old 02-06-2009, 10:04 PM
Truck Sponsor

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts

for a -3 line
Go get a 1/8npt x 3/16 compression fitting from the hardware story. Around a 1.00 or so. Take the compression nut and farrel, throw them in the tool box. Now you have a 1/8npt x jet fitting. The het will go into the compression end...
This fitting will replace the one in the turbo. If your fitting at the turbo is a 90' no problem just get that type of compression end.

-4 line do the same thing, but get a -3 female x -4 male and adapt down, or change the line.

Turbo is the restrictor, the oil is pushed through just like the cam and crank in the engine. If your oil pressure is 10psi there is something really wrong...
The only time I needed a restrictor was with the t-105 turbo on the race car, but we where pushing 75+ psi.... Just too much flow/preasure for a turbo....
Old 02-06-2009, 11:57 PM
Hunt&Fisherator

LOL, I have more that 10lbs oil pressure that was just the pressure drop.

This is what I noticed before and after the turbo install with my 5.3L and just figured this would bump the pressure up a hair with the new motor as well. Nothings hurt or hurting right now, just wanting as much oil pressure as I can get out of it, per my builder...
Old 02-07-2009, 10:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by silver-mod-o
Just wondering what you front mount turbo guys are running for oil restrictors. After my oil heats up I notice a drop in pressure simply because there's basically a pressurized open ended 1/8 line running from the oil blockoff plate... What do you have and how do they install?
I don't run a restrictor. I run a -3AN to the turbo and a -12AN drain with no 90's (hose ends). The only time I had an oil smoking problem is when I was running a non-watercooled (Turbonetics) turbo... due to shaft getting a little too hot on the turbine side. Granted summers here in Az can get toasty. Upgraded to a watercooled unit at the beginning of last summer and so far so good... zero problems. I also run 10W30 Mobil1. Typically my hot idle pressure is above 40psi... not sure at WOT... haven't checked. Bet its up there.

Here's a couple pics of my modified pan... BTW, they are cheap... and very easy to change out. Find someone who can weld aluminum and you are all set.

Here's a shot looking from under the truck... I have since moved the tranny lines to other side of the truck. drain entrance to pan is right behind starter.

Here's a pic (only one I have) of the modified drain I made coming out of the turbo. 3/4 SS pipe with a -12AN SS adaptor. Turbonetics T66 on left / Garrett 60-1 on right. Diameter of the drain on the turbo (my mock up was a Garrett 60-1) is 3/4". -12AN is 3/4" ID... why I chose it... no stepping down for the drain is important if you can help it.

Here's where I tap for oil supply.

Now, lots of folks have used restrictors and -8 or -10 drain hose and haven't expressed a problem with smoking. How? I don't know. I am not saying it can't be done. But from my previous experience with restrictors to bandaid a drain problem on C5 twin turbo installs I will never ever use a restrictor on a turbo again. That is why I paid so much attention to the drain set up on my truck.

My $.02
Bill
Old 02-07-2009, 11:07 AM
How do I change this text

If the fittings are big enough the best way to add a restrictor is to tap the inside of a fitting, drill a hole in a plug and thread the plug into the fitting...

Quick Reply: turbo oil restrictors....