FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

Turbo Oil Drainback?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2012, 04:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Really late on this.. but i welded a -12 bung on the side of the pan and made it work

Name:  36AEAD3C-7DF4-4F6D-85FE-A4D4693EE635-173-000000C1049DC101.jpg
Views: 1416
Size:  110.2 KB
Old 09-13-2012, 06:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Seeing as I need a drain point myself, what's against using the oil drain hole in the pan? Why does it need to be above the oil level? Seems to me even if the oil was built up in the hose to the top of the oil level gravity would cause it to flow anyway.
Old 09-13-2012, 06:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Suburbazine
Seeing as I need a drain point myself, what's against using the oil drain hole in the pan? Why does it need to be above the oil level? Seems to me even if the oil was built up in the hose to the top of the oil level gravity would cause it to flow anyway.
Hmm... that's a good point, the oil level in the drain hose will stay the same as that in the pan. But that's a lot of hose to run to get to the oil pan drain hose. Perhaps there can't be a solid wall of fluid in the hose for some reason.
Old 09-15-2012, 08:38 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've always wondered why people don't make use of factorty oil cooler lines. It seems like it would work out well having the feed and return with out having to drill and tap or weld anything. You could cut the hard line and use a tube to AN fitting then just run braided line to the turbo and back. If anyones interested in trying It just so happens that I have a set of like new cooler lines I'm not using.
Old 09-15-2012, 11:17 PM
Truck Sponsor

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts

Both oil cooler lines are pressure.
We offer oil plates for psi output with no drilling and tapping for psi.
Both oil cooled and non oil cooled.
----
Using the oil drain hole I don't think will work well.
In theory the oil will be at the same level.
But since it's not water oil flows slower.
Once the draining oil hits the oil level in the hose it will start backing up in the hose.faster then it's decreasing.
But that's just what think will happen. If y'all try it and it works we could easily buildca fittng that would take the place of the drain plug and still allow the drain to work.
Old 09-16-2012, 11:21 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by TrickPerformanceProducts
Both oil cooler lines are pressure.
I'm not really sure what you mean. The feed and return line are under pressure when ran to a cooler? If the oil can return to the pan from the cooler why would the turbo be different?

As for running it to the drain plug, would it be an option to run it to the oil level sensor hole, it's taped and should be closer to level.
Old 09-16-2012, 01:55 PM
Truck Sponsor

Both lines that go to the oil cooler are under pressure. You could T either one to gain oil psi to turbo. The return from turbo needs to go else were.
Put at low level sensor is still below oil level. If you remove you will loose the warning message. Not sure it will drain properly.
Old 09-17-2012, 05:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

why not just put the drin hose in the valve cover ?
Old 09-17-2012, 06:19 AM
Truck Sponsor

On our kits the turbo is not hi enough. Tried it about 3 years ago. Worked on level ground. But hit a small incline and smoked bad.
It's not a big deal,to drill and tap the pan.
-----
I have had several customers ask about using an electric oil pump to return oil to vc. Just so they wouldn't have to drill and tap. But when they here the cost of a pump. They end up drilling the pan.
Old 09-17-2012, 11:01 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by sand man
why not just put the drin hose in the valve cover ?
The turbo needs gravity to drain. If the valve cover is near the same height as where the oil drains from the turbo, then gravity won't be as effective in getting the oil away from the turbo. Valve cover is fine if you have a pump like the STS kits.

Quick Reply: Turbo Oil Drainback?