FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

Turbo hat for carb-style throttle body

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2008, 06:32 PM
single digit dreamer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by thunder550
I want the 4 barrel throttle body there to straighten the airflow going into the manifold.
huh? it is under presure and will find it's way. i think the 4 barrel units have less over all area than most large single tb's
Old 05-12-2008, 06:47 PM
Truck Sponsor

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts

It all has to make a turn sooner or later.. These are pretty nice peices. or take a huge single butter fly and just build a mounting plate to the intake out of some 1/4 aluminum plate.

Old 05-12-2008, 06:53 PM
High on diesel fumes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by parish8
huh? it is under presure and will find it's way. i think the 4 barrel units have less over all area than most large single tb's
I'm talking about trying every little thing that I can to avoid lean #7 issues again. In my mind it makes sense, with a curved elbow sitting on top of a large opening into the manifod the air will be at a slightly higher pressure against the outer radius of the elbow. When that comes charging into the manifold, it will have a tendency to push towards the back of the manifold, towards the notorious #7 and 8 cylinders. If I run a hat it should even out the flow a little bit, and then push it through a progressive 4 bbl throttle body I can't imagine that it would have any tendencies at all to push towards the rear of the engine.

Maybe I'm generalizing too much, but conceptually it makes sense in my head. Plus, that setup will look a lot better than a dorky snorkel looking thing
Old 05-12-2008, 07:06 PM
Truck Sponsor

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by thunder550
I'm talking about trying every little thing that I can to avoid lean #7 issues again. In my mind it makes sense, with a curved elbow sitting on top of a large opening into the manifod the air will be at a slightly higher pressure against the outer radius of the elbow. When that comes charging into the manifold, it will have a tendency to push towards the back of the manifold, towards the notorious #7 and 8 cylinders. If I run a hat it should even out the flow a little bit, and then push it through a progressive 4 bbl throttle body I can't imagine that it would have any tendencies at all to push towards the rear of the engine.

Maybe I'm generalizing too much, but conceptually it makes sense in my head. Plus, that setup will look a lot better than a dorky snorkel looking thing
oh thats all? Got any old fuel solenoids just laying around?
For under a 100.00 of used parts this is an easy fix.

used fuel solenoid, or even a use purge noid will work.
1/8 x 3/16 compression fitting
assortment of tuning jets
1) -4 fuel line 18" long
1) -3 line about 12" long
misc fittings, and wiring.
1) hobbs low pressure switch...

And you have an individual tuning aid for one cylinder.

The compression fitting will hold the jet and is -3. Just drill and tap it into the #7 runner, the hobbs switch set to what ever pressure you want the noid to open and let fuel flow in...

I have worked on several carb intakes dealing with nitrous systems.
on more then one occasion we had to add this type of set up to add fuel into a cylinder.
Old 05-12-2008, 07:20 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 192 Likes on 150 Posts

So it has been definitively decided and scientifically proved that a lean condition is the reason for number seven piston failure? That's why I put a Vic Jr. on, but I thought there was still controversy as to the true reason.
Old 05-13-2008, 02:32 AM
High on diesel fumes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't think there has been anything proven 100% for sure. The two main arguments that I have seen are either lean condition from too much air reaching the rear cylinders or poor cooling design around #7.

Rick - thanks for the suggestions. I'll look into that.
Old 05-13-2008, 02:47 AM
Resident Retard

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

I think the 4bbrl TB looks pretty sweet and with the turbo hat I think you will have a pretty unique setup! Or you could get your roommate (KBRacing) to build you a custom turbo hat!
Old 05-13-2008, 06:04 AM
single digit dreamer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i ran the stock intake for a long time. i pushed the hell out of it and ran into some issues from time to time. every time when i hurt something #7 showed the most damage. then i swaped the intake and used a forward facing elbow. after that when i pushed a head gasket there was pretty even damage. you could see black where combustion gases were geting past the gasket on 5 or 6 cylinders instead of just one really bad one like before.

i thought it had been agreed upon that the intake was the reason for that.

if your looking to do something diferent i am all for that but i dont think the 4 barrel tb is going to help with anything other than looking kinda neat.