FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

Truck under-go's turbo relocation surgery

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2007, 10:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Truck under-go's turbo relocation surgery

Ok, So I've had the STS kit on my truck for two and a half years and have been quite happy with it. No real problems, just a few miner one's with extreme cold with the oil pump blowing fuses and the waste gate freezing. So I decided to build a custom front mount setup, using the same turbo and waste gate, so I could judge the difference in spool speed. All I can say is, WOW! This thing spools SO much faster with this front mount. To be fair though, I did have some exhaust leaks pre-turbo I found when I took the STS off which probable was slowing spool time, but still, wow.

The first thing I did was pull the STS kit off, (yes I know its dirty )

Then I started building a passenger side manifold. I built it out of schedule 10, 304 stainless steel pipe and 90* weld-alls.

Came out pretty good I think
I also built a jig wile I was at it, so I could replicate this manifold in case anyone wanted to buy one (PM me for Pricing )

Then I built a crossover from the stock manifold on the drivers side to the back of the custom manifold on the pass side. It was built out of 2 1/2" mandrel bent aluminized tubing with a SS flex in it for longevity, and a down pipe

I also mounted the waste gate in the crossover under the truck (it was more convenient and it works GREAT!)

I only had to modify one of the charge pipes to connect my existing intercooler.

Everything came out pretty good,

I also built all new 3" exhaust out the back of the truck reusing the old Warlock muffler (after a good wire wheel job and some high temp ceramic paint) and mandrel bends. It exits in the stock location, very sleeper I will have more picks of it later when I put it up on my buddy's lift.

Oh and I have a few turbos laying around too
Old 07-22-2007, 10:40 PM
2nd fastest 5.3 ECSB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looking good! Almost makes me want to cross-over
Old 07-22-2007, 11:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Oh, and did I mention, I did all this in a little over a week and i didn't work on it 3 of those day, cuz I was too tired after work,

I am have a little problem with a bit of smoke after I let off the gas after I make a run, I think I didn't put my oil drain high enough in the oil pan (it's just above the low oil level sensor) and it is backing up to the turbo when in boost. I put a restrictor in the feed line to the turbo, will see if that helps. And I have a exhaust leak in the v-band clamp at the back of the turbo manifold, but I think If I make a aluminum gasket to put in there, it will seal it up. It is a shitty V-band . Surprisingly, my tune is still very close.
Old 07-22-2007, 11:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Really nice work. Very simple and effective. What size turbo are you running, btw?
Old 07-22-2007, 11:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 350SS
Really nice work. Very simple and effective. What size turbo are you running, btw?
Thanks It's a T60-1 with a .68 A/R exhaust. I've got a MP T70 planed for when I build a bigger motor, thinking of putting it on to see how it spools on the "little" 4.8, lol
Old 07-22-2007, 11:20 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what size are the rest of those turbos and how much are you wanting for them?
Old 07-22-2007, 11:28 PM
what a rush!

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

cool brother, looking good..........so a big difference in throttle response? can't beat that with a stick
Old 07-22-2007, 11:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by RandomHero
what size are the rest of those turbos and how much are you wanting for them?
The three on the left are MP T70's and the other is the T60 that's on the truck now. 2 of the 70's are for projects and one is in limbo depending on what i do with my truck. The STS is going to be going up for sale (non-intercooled), and I haven't decided if I'm going to sell it with the t-60, keep it for this truck and sell it with the MP T70.
Old 07-22-2007, 11:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by moregrip
cool brother, looking good..........so a big difference in throttle response? can't beat that with a stick
Boost is almost instant! From a stop takes about 20 feet to get into boost and if I'm rolling much at all it's pretty much instant with this turbo I love it! BIG improvement!
Old 07-22-2007, 11:50 PM
what a rush!

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by kbracing96
Boost is almost instant! From a stop takes about 20 feet to get into boost and if I'm rolling much at all it's pretty much instant with this turbo I love it! BIG improvement!
that sounds a lot more appealing to me, I bet your enjoying the hell out of that increased response

Quick Reply: Truck under-go's turbo relocation surgery