FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

Trick Turbo Kit Install - steps and pics

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2013, 02:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MarkGMCCrew
Hi, I am currently running no catch can or pcv. I have no filter on the passenger side vent but i do notice a very small ammount of oil comes out after a long pull.
I am wondering what everyone else does?
What's your PCV setup? Do you the valve covers vents capped or vented to atm without any filters?

If you have the stock PCV hose connected to intake without check valve, you have boost leak into your valve covers.
Old 12-05-2013, 04:36 PM
TECH Addict

Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Denali08
How does your catch can or PCV vent the crankcase pressure when under boost?

Do you have any oil splashing from that small filter on the pass valve cover under boost?
I have a one way check valve between the catch can and the intake to keep boost out of the can and out of the driver valve cover. When in boost the driver side port only vents into the can. When idle and cruise ( anything out of boost ) the intake sucks the positive crankcase pressure from the driver side valve cover through the catch can. Follow me?

Two years like this and I have just a little oil on my little filter on the passenger side vent. As in I can blow through it fine and only the bottom side ( from gravity) has oil on it.
Old 12-06-2013, 12:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Choda
I have a one way check valve between the catch can and the intake to keep boost out of the can and out of the driver valve cover. When in boost the driver side port only vents into the can. When idle and cruise ( anything out of boost ) the intake sucks the positive crankcase pressure from the driver side valve cover through the catch can. Follow me?

Two years like this and I have just a little oil on my little filter on the passenger side vent. As in I can blow through it fine and only the bottom side ( from gravity) has oil on it.
I have mine setup the same but the little filter is full of oil and splashes at WOT. Guess I will need bigger catch can with bigger hoses for 15psi. My 3/8" PCV is becoming restrictive. Also, could be my blow by past the piston rings is huge because engine oil runs low from time to time and I have to add oil.
Old 12-06-2013, 06:29 AM
TECH Addict

Could def be a ring prob then. I never have to add oil to mine.
Old 12-06-2013, 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by Choda
Could def be a ring prob then. I never have to add oil to mine.
Same here... mine has only been running a week though.
Old 02-07-2014, 06:29 AM
On The Tree

Bookmarked! will come back to Read it all later
Old 02-07-2014, 05:49 PM
TECH Regular

Nice install... That thing shouldn't have a problem getting down the track

Just a few suggestions: Those plastic 90* fittings will weaken over time and eventually break. I'd replace them with brass for peace of mind. Also, wire loom isn't a heat repellant. If you can, buy straight fittings for those heater lines and run the hoses under the over flow tank. Instead of attaching those breathers directly to the valve covers, run hoses off each of them with the filters on the ends. I have both of my breathers tucked in the back corner on the passenger side.
Old 02-07-2014, 07:38 PM
TECH Addict

I agree brass would be better but I had what the store offered. It works and I'm not to worried about it.

Same for the heater hoses. I put them there for a clean install and it works great.

I have a single breather on the pass side cover. It also seems to be going a great. Running a extension hose off the pass side cover over to the fender or somewhere else I would think wouldn't allow it to vent as well as right on the port. Imagine breathing through a 1 foot hose and a 10 foot hose. Correct me if I'm wrong but Same concept right?

I appreciate the comments though, this is only what I did for my truck and so far so good. All is well with the turbo5.3.

Last edited by Choda; 02-07-2014 at 07:48 PM.
Old 02-09-2014, 01:33 PM
TECH Regular

Yea it will probably be fine since you are up North but mine cracked after about a year while driving down the interstate. A couple of $5 fittings aren't worth the headache of having to call a tow truck IMO. Not to mention if you don't notice your temp gauge rising and you blow either your head gaskets or motor. But its your truck so I guess do whatever makes you happy
Old 02-19-2016, 06:19 PM
Staging Lane

You have any problems when you do emissions inspection?

Quick Reply: Trick Turbo Kit Install - steps and pics