FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

Top street performance intake manifold?

Old 02-21-2017, 06:41 AM
11 Second Club

Received 30 Likes on 30 Posts

I would put my money on the Holley intake, it is priced better, and the rails are included. I like the tapered plenum design over of the straight plenum.

Plus I'm sure Holley put some R&D behind it, not just "thrown together"

Last edited by MrHorsepowerLSx; 02-21-2017 at 09:14 AM.
Old 02-21-2017, 01:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

short *** runners, bad truck intake.
Will loose a **** ton of mid and low rpm torque.

If looks of the OEM NNBS intake are bad for you, shave, glass and paint it.
Old 02-21-2017, 01:47 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by ezdaar

Thats interesting. Did not know you could shave them down. You need to fiberglass for strength after shaving? Will have to look into it. Thanks
Old 02-21-2017, 01:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

glass it to cover up all the tooling marks as you dont want to remove the ribs and then sand it smooth as it reduces the over all thickness is the intake lids thickness. NA not really a concern, but boosted its a baaaad idea.

also consider, shave, glass smooth then hydro wrap it. can have any design you want on it.
Old 02-21-2017, 04:03 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by ezdaar

How do you figure, those runners are taller then a tbss/nnbs intake. They are also a bit taller then the Holley mid rise intake as well. But to each his own. I personally prefer the high ram for boost and the TBSS for stout NA builds
Old 02-21-2017, 07:23 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 191 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by MrHorsepowerLSx

Plus I'm sure Holley put some R&D behind it, not just "thrown together"
I would bet that their R&D went like this: "Does that look cool?" "yeah, that will sell" "Should we dyno it" "No! We are trying to trying to sell them. If we show the dyno graph nobody will buy it"

Originally Posted by MrHorsepowerLSx
How do you figure, those runners are taller then a tbss/nnbs intake. They are also a bit taller then the Holley mid rise intake as well. But to each his own. I personally prefer the high ram for boost and the TBSS for stout NA builds
Those runners are very short compared to any OEM EFI manifold, indicating they would only be helpful at rpm higher than you will ever rev a street motor. Long runners are engineered to boost ram air flow at low rpm because of tuned length resonance. Short runners are for high rpm.
This cutaway image shows that the TBSS runners must be 14-16" long, where the fabricated manifold must have 3" long runners. One manifold is designed to give a torque boost in the rpm range that the engine was intended to be used, the other manifold was designed to look cool.
Attached Thumbnails Top street performance intake manifold?-cutaway.jpg  
Old 02-22-2017, 06:48 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by MikeGyver
I would bet that their R&D went like this: "Does that look cool?" "yeah, that will sell" "Should we dyno it" "No! We are trying to trying to sell them. If we show the dyno graph nobody will buy it"

Those runners are very short compared to any OEM EFI manifold, indicating they would only be helpful at rpm higher than you will ever rev a street motor. Long runners are engineered to boost ram air flow at low rpm because of tuned length resonance. Short runners are for high rpm.
This cutaway image shows that the TBSS runners must be 14-16" long, where the fabricated manifold must have 3" long runners. One manifold is designed to give a torque boost in the rpm range that the engine was intended to be used, the other manifold was designed to look cool.

I agree with with it being a "looks cool only" product, but I was not taking into consideration the total length runner size of the TBSS manifold. I was speaking of the height, but yes they are indeed short runners.

Well played sir
Old 02-22-2017, 03:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

yup.......
Old 02-25-2017, 08:46 AM
TECH Resident

The holley high ram is the best for more low end? Will it fit undrer the hood? NNBS
Old 02-26-2017, 10:31 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 191 Likes on 149 Posts

OMG, no! It is only for looks! Sorry if my post was so long as to be confusing. The TBSS is best for low and midrange.

Search this Thread