FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

Thinking of logs

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2011, 06:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking of logs

So I'm contemplating building my own log setup. I know I could buy a kit from trick or KB or from one of the members on here, and I still may but I just want to consider the options. This is going to be a budget build since I am in college still. I finally decided to pull the trigger after that hot rod article. I have a nice miller mig and shop at my disposal and I know the basics on fabrication I would say. So say I want to build a log, what material woul I use and where can I get it from? Where is a cheap yet reputable place to buy flanges from? And what kind of cost am I looking at? I don't want to do to stainless bc of the price and idk how I would weld it. I'm pretty confident I can copy the pictures of manifolds that I have seen here but is there any helpful tips that I can use? As for the crossover I plan to just buy pre-bent pipes but idk where to find the flex fitting at. Also my roommate thinks it would be better to not build a log setup but rather mount the turbo in front of the engine with the manifolds just swapped around? Any benefit to that design over a log design? I know it's a lot of questions but I'm just wanting to maybe do this myself to save money and bc it will be fun. Any help is appreciated.
Old 08-18-2011, 07:02 PM
TECH Junkie

I have doubts that realistically you can save any money versus buying the hot parts. And yes, manifolds with just a crossover is very effective set up. Just dont make the crossover to big, like everyone likes to do.
Old 08-18-2011, 07:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks charcold, What do you think about running a crossover from the driver side in front of the engine to the passenger side and mounting the turbo the same spot as it would be mounted with a trick or kb setup? The hot pipes wouldn't be the same length but is that a real big deal? Also would I be okay a 2.5" cross over? This route would be a lot less fabrication too I think
Old 08-18-2011, 08:42 PM
TECH Junkie

I would probably do 2.25

Link
Old 08-18-2011, 09:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Great read! Well that answers that. What about the merge? How should I go about building that?
Old 08-19-2011, 12:20 PM
TECH Junkie

Link

Heres flanges and things
Old 08-19-2011, 01:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ok great. The only 2.25'' tubing and bends I can find through them is 16 ga. Is that going to be thick enough to be reliable. And I found a nice 2 into 1 merge collector. They offer it in 2.25 to 2.5" outlet and 2.25" to 3" outlet. Which one do I want for a T4 flange?
Old 08-19-2011, 04:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

16ga is too thin for a log type manifold and will crack over time. Needs to be .120 wall or thicker. It's ok for the rest of it. Flipped manifolds will only work pointing forward if you face then up. Down they hit the power steering pump and AC compressor. They don't make for a clean looking install IMHO. Also you will have to move and or heat shield the coils also.
Old 08-19-2011, 05:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well suppose I don't do a log style but rather just the flipped over manifolds with a crossover from the driver side to the passenger side then do a two into one merge collector to the flange. Would 16 ga work for that? I also planned to wrap the manifolds and all hot piping. Would I still need to heat shield the coils or shoul they be fine? I really appreciate the help
Old 08-19-2011, 06:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by o2camaross
Well suppose I don't do a log style but rather just the flipped over manifolds with a crossover from the driver side to the passenger side then do a two into one merge collector to the flange. Would 16 ga work for that? I also planned to wrap the manifolds and all hot piping. Would I still need to heat shield the coils or shoul they be fine? I really appreciate the help
You still gotta move the coils and run longer wires. You will have to support the turbo as the weight of it on just 16ga will crack it. Look at the flipped manifold kits that Nelson has make.

Quick Reply: Thinking of logs