Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

myself, hptuners
Old 02-04-2014, 09:19 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Best I can help:
Originally Posted by turbo4.8
After finding out what it was going to cost me to make the power I wanted with nitrous, I have been debating going turbo. Truck is a 2006 SS. Here's the mod lost I currently am working with:
RPM level IV trans
Tru Cool 40K
Yank SS3600
TBSS intake swap
87mm TB
X-Link
Flex Fuel Injectors and harness adapters
BTR Custom Cam 227/236 .61X .58X 113+3
BTR Platinum Springs
BTR Pushrods
ARP Headstuds
ARP Rodbolts
Ls9 gaskets

I have been eyeing up the On3 76mm kit. I have some
Questions.

IMO, the kit may be nice, but I think the turbo is lacking. Not from a quality standpoint, but from a sizing standpoint. I'm pretty sure 02camaross ran one on here, and stated how it fell over up top, because of the small sized exhaust wheel. This was on a cammed 5.3. This would probably be noticble on a decent sized cammed 6.0. Someone else my have more insight.

I know my Trans probably won't hold up long, so I will be taking it easy while I find me an 80.

Depends on your power levels. May last a while on low boost. Trick performance says they have a few guys that do really well on stock drivetrain and like 450whp IIRC

Will a single Bosch 044 be enough to fuel me to 600rwhp? Should I go with 80lb injectors right away?

Overbuild your fuel system IMO. Atomic has a sticky of the capabilities of different pumps you should check out. For the price difference of the 60 to 80s, I'd just go ahead and get the 80s. Thats what I'm running. People may tell you different.

Will a 2 bar map get me where I want to be or upgrade to 3 bar right away? Do I need to upgrade to a return style system? This will be on pump93.

If you truly plan on staying pump 93 only, then a 3 bar is not necessary. I run a 3 bar though. I do believe you lose resolution in your tune, but I have not noticed it that much.

What 3.5" muffler are you guys running?

I always wanted a dmax exhaust, but couldnt get my hands on one. I've always liked magnaflow and borla.

Can I use a simple click style boost controller?

Yessir.

What else should I consider purchasing header wrap, wide band,gauges? I know my cam wasn't made for boost but hell il try at anyway.

Definitely buy wrap and a turbo blanket. Thats the number one thing I hate about my turbo, the heat under the hood. I ran my truck without a blanket for a while, and was scared I was going to bake the insulation off the hood. Heat definitely needs to be managed.

Wideband is definitely a necessity, so is boost. Fuel pressure, egt, backpressure, etc would be nice.... once you go boost you never have enough gauges
Old 02-04-2014, 12:05 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd do the 80e swap first so you can sell your trans/converter as a working unit . I'm running the factory exhaust off a dmax with one of the bigger magnaflow mufflers. You can also fit an aftermarket 4" dmax exhaust kit on these trucks with minor modification. Definitely wrap your pipes as it holds the heat in better, resulting in faster spool times. Get a blanket, heat socks for the plug wires (turbo side), and some DEI heat reflective tape (mainly for the AC line). For the gauges: definitely get a wideband and a boost/vac gauge, and either a fuel pressure or a pyrometer (EGT). AEM now makes a combo wideband/boost gauge if you wanted to run all four in a triple pillar.
Old 02-04-2014, 07:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah +1 on the 4 inch duramax exhaust, there was a maybe 2 ft section between it and my downpipe, i bought a cat back system.