FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

StS Oil Pump....biting the dust????

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2008, 10:20 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default StS Oil Pump....biting the dust????

One the wayhome from work this evening, my oil warning buzzer went off. I pulled over, shut it down and checked it out. Couldn't see anything wrong with the wiring or plumbing but wasn't going to leave it on the side of the road. Fired it up and drove back to the office to park it in the garage. It was about a 2 mile drive. It barely smoke if I accelled slowly drove about 3mph. But when I would stop smoke would pour out. Had to call Billy at TRT because this system has been flawless up to now and I couldn't remember what to trouble shoot. Thanks for taking the call, Billy! He had me check the fuse and it was scorched pretty bad....well, burnt in two and warped the fuse holder.

Anyway, got some fuses...put in 20amp instead of 15amp just so I could limp it home. After I replaced the fuse, the buzzer didn't come on. So I headed to the house...about 16 miles...steady speed of 60mph. Had to get into it up to about 75 once and smoke poured out the pipe. No smoke (or noticeable smoke) at steady speed. However, when I would stop at a light (three of them) smoke would opour out again. Got to the house and and checked everything out...

1) no kinks in the pressure or return lines.
2) ran wiring harness front to back and didn't see any pinches
3) checked pump...running on Hi/Lo; BUT checking the return at the oil fill cap, its like it is "burping" oil, not a steady stream. Also, doesn't seem to flow that much more on Hi than Lo.
4) pump is running on Hi/Lo but it sounds pretty crappy. Lots noisier than it was this a.m. I would have noticed that noise.
5) Got alot of oil on top of the front skid plate. Had 3-4 dollar sized drops and 3-4 dime sized drops....seems like alot of oil. Didn't drop the plate to look because I didn't notice it until I backed the truck out of the garage.

So....that said...sound like the pump is dying? I don't even want to think about what the other oil leak could be yet. I'm going to call Billy in the a.m. and see what we can come up with. Any thoughts or ideas, especially cheap ones would be greatly appreciated. TIA
Old 04-30-2008, 10:33 PM
TECH Addict

How old is the pump?
Old 04-30-2008, 10:38 PM
blownerator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Been there, get a new one ASAP, it will leave you stranded.
Old 05-01-2008, 02:59 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ive considered an sts, but worried about stuff like this, this isnt a common thing is it?
Old 05-01-2008, 03:10 AM
GFYS and STFU

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Let us know what TRT finds...I hope it's nothing big but you did right by pulling over and trouble shooting it. I had a fuse blow on me once too but other than that I've been fortunate...knock on wood!

Originally Posted by Parke10
ive considered an sts, but worried about stuff like this, this isnt a common thing is it?
It's a risk but I haven't heard of too many of them failing
Old 05-01-2008, 03:25 AM
TECH Addict

do you ever happen to sleep spoolin lol
Old 05-01-2008, 08:21 AM
On The Tree

The pump is at least two years old and been worked hard. I need to get a bigger pump because I'm running 10psi on the smaller pump. STS recommends a larger pump for that. I need to pull the air filter and check the turbo and make sure that the play isn't excessive and also check the cold side piping for oil.

As for the system, I have loved this setup for the most part. I do have the occasional water issues if it rains REALLY hard. But other than that, this system has been issue free. No PCV issues...nothing. I knew the pump was a potential issue because it was too small for the psi I was running.

A couple more questions....Do you think that if the pump were failing it would cause the short but still run? Also, if I dumped about 1/2 quart of oil thru the turbo bearings into the exhaust that that would explain the smoke at idle and will eventually burn off?

I'll let you know what Billy says. Thanks again!
Old 05-01-2008, 10:53 AM
GFYS and STFU

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Parke10
do you ever happen to sleep spoolin lol
Sleep?
Hey I'm gonna be making it out to Bako sometime soon, hope to see you and the other member, can't think of his SN right now but we should meet up.

Originally Posted by spinz71
The pump is at least two years old and been worked hard. I need to get a bigger pump because I'm running 10psi on the smaller pump. STS recommends a larger pump for that. I need to pull the air filter and check the turbo and make sure that the play isn't excessive and also check the cold side piping for oil.

As for the system, I have loved this setup for the most part. I do have the occasional water issues if it rains REALLY hard. But other than that, this system has been issue free. No PCV issues...nothing. I knew the pump was a potential issue because it was too small for the psi I was running.

A couple more questions....Do you think that if the pump were failing it would cause the short but still run? Also, if I dumped about 1/2 quart of oil thru the turbo bearings into the exhaust that that would explain the smoke at idle and will eventually burn off?

I'll let you know what Billy says. Thanks again!
What size pump do you have and do they recommend? I'm still running the stocker but boosted to 18psi...I gotta ask STS about pump size if they ever return my calls...SOB!!!
Old 05-01-2008, 12:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

There is probable oils in the intake piping, you need to take all the piping and off and clean it out
Old 05-01-2008, 01:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kbracing96
There is probable oils in the intake piping, you need to take all the piping and off and clean it out
x2, check the intercooler too. Guy I bought my kit from, well his pump kept going out and he had to clean the intercooler as well

Quick Reply: StS Oil Pump....biting the dust????