FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

STS missing when boosting or pulling hard.

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2007, 01:27 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default STS missing when boosting or pulling hard.

I was driving fine this morning, but this afternoon I started to miss when I was trying to pass on the highway. 2200 RPM dropped to 2000 RPM just for a second, I was not boosting at the time, but did press on the gas a little. It is raining and 39degrees here today. I seam to always have issues in the rain, never on a good day to work on the truck in the driveway. ;-( By the time I got home it was worse. I played around and finally got a code a P0102. MAF sensor low circuit I think. Do you think the MAF is going bad and should be replaced, or should I check something else first? I have had similar problems in the rain and thought it was meth related, but I was never into enough boost to get the meth turned on, today.
Old 02-13-2007, 01:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

Water???
Old 02-13-2007, 01:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

try cleaning the maf with some electronics cleaner, if you weren't on the throttle pretty hard then i really doubt water would make it to the maf but there may be some oil residue. Hell i've driven through hurricanes with mine and the filter is only about 8 inches off the ground and had no problems with water.
Old 02-13-2007, 01:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Ya man, you got some water in it. If water hits the MAF, it makes it momentarily read 0, making the truck stumble and throw the P0102 code (doesn't really hurt it, at least in my experience). You should get a filter sock if your going to run much in the rain.
Old 02-13-2007, 02:16 PM
Staging Lane

My filter is tucked up on the wheel well with the snorkle kit, but it sounds like a good idea to clean it and check the filter, it might have gotten splashed. I have been thinking about a high flow box of some kind to keep water out of the filter, but allow for better air flow than the snorkle. Kind of like the ram air kits that mount under the front bumper. There has to be a way to get air into the turbo easier and keep water out at the same time.
Old 02-13-2007, 04:27 PM
How do I change this text

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow, if water did get into the maf I would be suprized. not saying it couldn't but it's way hard IMO. I would bet the maf needs to be replaced or cleaned. Mine needed to be replaced.....
Old 02-13-2007, 04:36 PM
On The Tree

Mine did that a couple of weeks ago driving from Dallas to Houston....in the rain. Scared the crapola out of me because I was in the middle of BFE, actually about 90 miles north of H-town. It was fine after I got out of the rain. That was the first time its done it but its also the first time I've driven extended periods in the rain.
Old 02-13-2007, 05:04 PM
I AM A MOTHERF*CKER

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A wet filter can do the same thing. A soaked filter will bog and go really really rich (little air getting through).
Old 02-13-2007, 06:26 PM
Staging Lane

I cleaned the MAF and cleared the codes. I drove to the auto store to check on the price of a MAF sensor and had a few problems, but it was better. When I left the store I cleared the codes again and didn't have any trouble driving home. Got it to 65mph in nothing flat. Couldn't get to 25 without having it miss, on the way to the store. Big improvment on the way back. It felt 'normal' again.

If I do need a new sensor, is there a particular brand that works well? I am only running 10-12psi max and that is rare, most of the time I just let it max out at 5.8psi and leave the boostvalve in the open setting. When it got cold outside I didn't even reset the valve to keep 10psi, it maxes out at 6.8psi in the cold weather and just over 10 when it is hot outside.
Old 02-13-2007, 07:15 PM
GFYS and STFU

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by blowme
My filter is tucked up on the wheel well with the snorkle kit, but it sounds like a good idea to clean it and check the filter, it might have gotten splashed. I have been thinking about a high flow box of some kind to keep water out of the filter, but allow for better air flow than the snorkle. Kind of like the ram air kits that mount under the front bumper. There has to be a way to get air into the turbo easier and keep water out at the same time.
I'm thinking of cutting out "brake vents" right in front of the tires and installing a box on the other side of it and sticking the filter through there. Make some kinda crude ram effect if I can. I have to see if it'll look good first though. In the very least it will prevent it from getting wet on rainy days...cuz it rains soooo much here in SoCal!

Last edited by Spoolin; 02-14-2007 at 05:26 PM.

Quick Reply: STS missing when boosting or pulling hard.