FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

STS Bulletin about oil blow by....LONG...

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2006, 08:27 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

when Murphys law seems to be a big part of your life, less is better. My turbo on my Blazer is modeled after the STS idea and it works pretty good. I use gravity drain with it though. I had to put a 2" body lift on to be able to mount the turbo high enough for drain back but it works. It has pretty bad lag due to its size and unwelded exhaust, but when it spools it hits max boost quick. I think i need to cut thr WG spring so i can run less boost. Its a 3.86# spring but runs 6-6.5psi most of the time.
Old 02-26-2006, 09:17 AM
TECH Addict

Cool

Originally Posted by kbracing96
FWIW, I have never had any problems with my PVC valve or anything blowing oil out. But I did have a problem with the pump blowing fuses when I was in WY this winter. Apparently, the oil pump doesn't like to pump cold oil in low speed when it is below 0* outside Just jumpered it to run in high speed all the time when it was really cold out and havn't had any problems since .
Good work figuring that out.

STS actually makes a kit for installs in cold areas. It comes with a switch for the dash and wiring to the Hoobs switch. If it is cold out you open the switch and it puts the return pump on high speed. When it is cold and the oil is thick the pump is overloading the circuit on low speed operation and running it on high speed cures that problem.
Old 02-26-2006, 09:50 AM
TECH Junkie

so why 2 speeds anyway? does it last longer running slower? Is it a noise thing in highspeed tha makes it normaly run in low?
Old 02-26-2006, 09:58 AM
TECH Junkie

why not a kit mounted in the bed? That way it still has all the benifits of STS without the oil return stuff, just goog ole' gravity, and less worry about sucking up water/rocks/dirt. A turbo hidden mounted in a nice shinny toolbox in the bed. Hopefully we will have some pics of a kit like this very soon.
Old 02-26-2006, 10:10 AM
TECH Addict

Cool

Not sure why they use two speeds rather than leave it on high all the time. I think you have it though. The pump is noisy even on low speed so that could be a good reason and I am sure it will last longer as well. It could also be that the high speed setting tries to pull too much oil through the turbo at low rpms tending to starve the bearings by causing cavitation in the center housing. If this is true it might not be good to run it on high speed all the time.

It would be nice to know.
Old 02-26-2006, 10:17 AM
TECH Addict

Cool

Originally Posted by Snake Eater
why not a kit mounted in the bed? That way it still has all the benifits of STS without the oil return stuff, just goog ole' gravity, and less worry about sucking up water/rocks/dirt. A turbo hidden mounted in a nice shinny toolbox in the bed. Hopefully we will have some pics of a kit like this very soon.

4.8T
Old 02-26-2006, 05:27 PM
TECH Veteran

Run a small scoop up and out the box between the bed and cap for nice weather, like additional ram air at track speeds!!!
Na just kidding,
Locating the turbo in the bed would solve alot of the STS's problems but now you have a hot turbo in your bed, don't put anything flammable in there with it. A gas can spill can would provide some excitement for sure.
Definetly not knocking the idea but it would only be acceptable for some people.
Old 02-26-2006, 06:53 PM
TECH Junkie

it would be inside a tool box with an opening infront for fresh air. Nothing in the bed will ever touch the hot turbo.
Old 02-26-2006, 07:32 PM
TECH Veteran

it would be inside a tool box with an opening infront for fresh air. Nothing in the bed will ever touch the hot turbo.
This idea would be great for all the guys with slammed trucks! I can't imagine having all the turbo pipes and everything elso so close to the ground unprotected like te F-Bodies, GTO, and Vette STS kits.
I would always be wondering when I'd snag something on road debris and blow an oil line or rip the turbo exhaust input to turbo pipe off.
I even thought about putting a skid plate under mine for protection, with a inlet to direct air where needed.
Old 02-27-2006, 09:26 AM
TECH Veteran

The new STS kits come with the switched oil pump speed.

Tim Z can you post up a pic of how everything should be wired?