FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

STS Bulletin about oil blow by....LONG...

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2006, 03:50 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My truck blows oil out once and awhile. I deleted the PCV already. I am not running that little STS breather thing. I am running two line from my valve covers to a big can with a fiter on it. I relieves my crank pressure.

I dont know if this is related but I am having a problem with the supplyed oil pump and the "alarm" on it. That little buzzer goes off all the time. I have it turned up all the way and it still goes off. The only time that oil blows out the dip stick is when that buzzer goes off.

I am emailing STS and telling them about this problem. I have been told that I can get a bigger pump from them. But I would rather have them trade me one for mine. Because when we ordered the kit we told them how much boost we would be running, and they told me that this would work. I guess we will see.
Old 02-21-2006, 03:51 PM
11 sec. Truck Mod

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

wow, now im confused on what to do, can some one please post a drawing of the way it should be fixed on an 04 silv/5.3. right now i just have the vacuum hose that comes from the manifold to the sts solenoid switch unhooked , i have no oil issues but i did when it was hooked up, please help.
Old 02-21-2006, 04:04 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TIM Z
wow, now im confused on what to do, can some one please post a drawing of the way it should be fixed on an 04 silv/5.3. right now i just have the vacuum hose that comes from the manifold to the sts solenoid switch unhooked , i have no oil issues but i did when it was hooked up, please help.

Confusion seems to be the norm for this topic. I wish there was a definative "JUST DO IT LIKE THIS" statement out there.

You have to read the STS bulletin closely to make sure your wiring is correct, the ground is very important too.
When I first installed the control valve and read that the bracket is the ground, I was thinking "how can it ground to a brass insert sourounded by a plastic insulating manifold??
My control valve is now mounted to an existing tapped hole in the valve cover.
I still wonder about the grounding because the valve cover has a rubber gasket sealing and isolating it from the engine block. I'm going to run a little ground wire from the control valve bracket to a good spot on the block and see if it helps.
Old 02-21-2006, 04:08 PM
11 sec. Truck Mod

GOOD IDEA, IM GOING OUT TO TRY THAT NOW, i didnt think that the manifold bolt was a good place to ground either.
Old 02-21-2006, 07:11 PM
11 sec. Truck Mod

i believe i found my problem, in my sts instuction manual it states that there is a ground wire in the harness that MUST be connected to the mounting bolt for the pcv switch valve, then the blue wire goes from the post on the switch valve to the pressure switch, i have to go back on my truck and double check but i think i overlooked hooking up this ground wire, you can barely see it hooked up in the instructions and i didnt realize it till i read TG02Z71's email post a few times. Im gonna double check that tomorow, but tonight i figured i had a ground problem cause the switch valve wasnt grounded on the manifold like i thought, so i took the jumper wire from the switch valve that goes to the psi switch and grounded that to the body. Then i thought i fixed it cause my piezo buzzer finaly worked when you jump the switch by the oil pump. Well, after driving and getting into boost my buzzer went off and i pulled into the drive and my pump wasnt working. I blew the main harness fuse, replaced it and all is well so i unhooked the ground i rigged up and am going to check for a ground wire in the harness.
Old 02-21-2006, 07:31 PM
TECH Veteran

Very interesting Tim, keep us posted.

Well, I checked out my PCV and everything there seems to be good. I referenced the Chilton's manual and it said to shake the PCV to see if it rattles. If it rattles, all is well. Mine rattled and it was totally free of any carbon or sludge build up. I hit it up with some carb cleaner to check the movement and it seems fine.

I also rigged up a gauge and regulator on my compressor to check the hobbs switch. I get 0 ohms at 0 psi and 1 ohm at 1 psi. I cranked it up to 20psi to see if the circuit broke, and it didn't. So its not the hobbs switch.

I checked the solenoid switch valve and its operational when I connect the two terminals on the hobbs switch per the instructions. So its not that. My only guess that it could be the crappy ground to the intake, but would the solenoid switch valve operate like that if the ground was bad?....or it could be.....

....and when you look at it you'll see, the PCV valve. It has a tinly little ****-ant spring it it with a little disk (the valve). What I think is happening is when the manifold is pressurized, the little disk in the PCV leaks thus allowing the air to take a quick path to the crank case. However the way the PCV looks, the more pressure you put on it, the better it would seal, but I'm not so sure any more.

I'm going to put everything back together and re-read the instructions, but I'm at a total loss for words as to how many of us are having this issue. It's really shouldn't be this hard.
Old 02-22-2006, 09:12 AM
TECH Veteran

Looks like a catch can will work as we all knew already but routing the oil caught back to the engine will be a bad thing.
I rigged up a tennis ball steel can with my crankcase filter just going through a hole in the plastic cap which is duct taped on. Totally Ghetto but it worked for now.
Well I checked the container last night and there was a small amount of oil but mostly condensation being bled out of the crankcase. I think the reason I saw so much milky crap in the oil filler cap and dipstick tube was because when the crankcase filter became soaked with oil it could not vent the condensation properly, letting it buil up in the system.
I think the catch can I make will incorporate a water seperator too so it does not push any of that crap back into the TB hose.
I also put my stock PCV back on last night, the Puralator PCV actually had a valve in it and made some weird noises under boost, like a rattle/whistle sound.
The stock PCV can never wear out if its the orifice type, no moving parts to stick, just have to clean it out here and there.
Old 02-22-2006, 03:45 PM
11 sec. Truck Mod

i agree with vanillagorilla, we shouldnt be having these problems, theres got to be a simple solution were missing, im glad im not the only one although i dont wish problems on anyone.
Old 02-23-2006, 07:49 AM
TECH Veteran

I'm going to use a catch can. Catch all the oil I can and then mail it to STS on fire. I think if we all do that, they'll eventually send us a $5 check ball valve for free. Hmmmm.....
Old 02-23-2006, 02:52 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The funny thing is with mine is I dont have a PCV and I still spray some oil ????

Quick Reply: STS Bulletin about oil blow by....LONG...