FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

Radix pulley and belt questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2005, 03:00 PM
Notorious BIG

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Naked AV
You're asking the same question on more than one forum and getting the same answer, if you haven't noticed. You're getting reasons why it's not a good idea to immediately swap pulleys, but ignoring them. And you're still expressing a desire to do what you want to do anyway.

I suggest that you do what you want. Then, when your motor blows up and you come back here and tell us, we can all laugh at you.
I've asked this question on 2 freakin forums, ok....just trying to get more opinions on this, and i've obviously already gotten yours....

Thanks for your suggestion Naked AV, as i'm sure my motor will "blow up" and i'm sure everyone "will laugh at me". You've been very helpful.
Old 10-24-2005, 03:11 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Okay, here is the short (simplified) answer...the stock program is set up for a certain Air/Fuel ratio based upon the stock pulley size. If you change out to a smaller pulley, you will be pushing more air into your motor, but you will not have programmed for more fuel to match the increase in air, and keep a safe A/F ratio. You will be running lean. Do you know what running lean can do?
Old 10-24-2005, 03:30 PM
Notorious BIG

gotcha,... i'll just leave it alone for now i guess. i do plan on a custom pcm tune very shortly after the radix install though, so thats why i figured i could just do the smaller pulley right off the bat.
Old 10-24-2005, 04:10 PM
blownerator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Holty
I'm waiting on my new Radix to come and will be installing it in a couple of weeks. I'll be installing it on a stock engine with only cat-back and CAI mods. I want to purchase a smaller pulley right away and put it on while doing the install. I would like to make atleast 8psi of boost, but would really like to make 10psi. What size pulley do i need to purchase to make this amount of boost happen? What size comes with the Radix kit? Will i need to purchase a shorter belt as well? Also, will the stock 6.0L SS motor handle 8 to 10 psi of boost ok? I want a reliable engine, but would like a little more than 5psi that the stock Radix kit offers.

Also, im hearing conflicting stories, so i need to ask, will i need to drop my fuel tank on my '03 SSS during the Radix install? thanks.
First of all, congrats on the Radix purchase you will be quite happy with the product once you have it installed on your truck!

I would not suggest intalling the system with a smaller pulley! I suggest installing the supercharger system the way it is shipped to you, CALIBRATION/PULLEY, and all. If you plan to modify it from the way we shipped it, you need to be prepared for:

1) Warranty is VOID
2) No C.A.R.B. Exemption
3) Dyno/Street Tune will be a MUST (Mail order tunes do not work IMO)
4) Added power=Added Drivetrain Stress
5) Remember, you play you pay!
Old 10-24-2005, 04:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Holty
I've asked this question on 2 freakin forums, ok....just trying to get more opinions on this, and i've obviously already gotten yours....

Thanks for your suggestion Naked AV, as i'm sure my motor will "blow up" and i'm sure everyone "will laugh at me". You've been very helpful.

Some people experience problems with their set ups. Some come from a bad install, and some come from problems from the manufacturer. It's much easier to try to troubleshoot problems with the least amount of variables. Magnuson, and especially blownchevy, are EXTREMLY helpful when trying to diagnose any problems, even if they're not at fault. It's pretty hard to resist the temtation to mod, but get it running the way it comes in the kit, make sure everything works the way you want it to, and that you're happy with the kit overall (that will be a natural, it's a great kit). Then.....you can start modding, and not look back!!!!!!!
Old 10-24-2005, 05:51 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by BlownChevy
If you plan to modify it from the way we shipped it, you need to be prepared for:

1) Warranty is VOID
2) No C.A.R.B. Exemption
3) Dyno/Street Tune will be a MUST (Mail order tunes do not work IMO)
4) Added power=Added Drivetrain Stress
Number 4 really means you might want to be thinking about a shift kit to help that transmission live. Just a tip...
Old 10-24-2005, 06:06 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by CHarris
Number 4 really means you might want to be thinking about a shift kit to help that transmission live. Just a tip...
Maybe even a 4l65e as in my case.

Seriously, I had mine installed and it ran great within three weeks my tranny let go. Its still in the damn shop. Point it is, problems do come on and I think it best to run the truck for a bit to make sure the kinks are worked out.
Old 10-24-2005, 06:15 PM
Moderately Differentiated

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BlownChevy
HOO-YAH!
Old 10-27-2005, 07:26 PM
TECH Addict

Some of yall make it sound like it is bad to mod your truck. I think it is best to do one thing at a time. Like I read, it will be easier to troubleshoot.
Old 10-27-2005, 08:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hey boss, I read your post in both forums and I am in agreement with everyone here. If you are prepared to break some stuff, spend some $$$ and spend some time wrenching,...then by all means pulley down. I did not use the 3.3" pulley at all and went directly to the 2.9" when I installed the unit. I have access to some tuning software so I was comfortable doing that. I have since gone to the 2.8" and am seeing 7.5psi. Keep in mind that I am well Modded. A pulley and belt swap is a walk in the park IMO and you shouldn't sweat the swap later.

BTW, I have a bone stock tranny in my SS with a 3000 stall. I have done like 30 dyno pulls and 50 or so 1/4 runs. I have 37k on the truck. No tranny issues to speak of yet but I am sure trying.

Last edited by krambo; 10-27-2005 at 08:24 PM.

Quick Reply: Radix pulley and belt questions