PerformanceTrucks.net Forums

PerformanceTrucks.net Forums (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/)
-   FORCED INDUCTION (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/forced-induction-159/)
-   -   Radix pulley and belt questions (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/forced-induction-159/radix-pulley-belt-questions-351185/)

Holty 10-23-2005 04:48 PM

Radix pulley and belt questions

I'm waiting on my new Radix to come and will be installing it in a couple of weeks. I'll be installing it on a stock engine with only cat-back and CAI mods. I want to purchase a smaller pulley right away and put it on while doing the install. I would like to make atleast 8psi of boost, but would really like to make 10psi. What size pulley do i need to purchase to make this amount of boost happen? What size comes with the Radix kit? Will i need to purchase a shorter belt as well? Also, will the stock 6.0L SS motor handle 8 to 10 psi of boost ok? I want a reliable engine, but would like a little more than 5psi that the stock Radix kit offers.

Also, im hearing conflicting stories, so i need to ask, will i need to drop my fuel tank on my '03 SSS during the Radix install? thanks.

WaitinToDrag 10-23-2005 04:55 PM

I have a 3" I will sell you. I'm seeing right around 7.5 lbs on my 6.0.

As for dropping the tank. I don't believe you have to. I'm pretty sure they still come with a 2nd inline fuel pump.

moregrip 10-23-2005 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by Holty
I'm waiting on my new Radix to come and will be installing it in a couple of weeks. I'll be installing it on a stock engine with only cat-back and CAI mods. I want to purchase a smaller pulley right away and put it on while doing the install. I would like to make atleast 8psi of boost, but would really like to make 10psi. What size pulley do i need to purchase to make this amount of boost happen? What size comes with the Radix kit? Will i need to purchase a shorter belt as well? Also, will the stock 6.0L SS motor handle 8 to 10 psi of boost ok? I want a reliable engine, but would like a little more than 5psi that the stock Radix kit offers.

Also, im hearing conflicting stories, so i need to ask, will i need to drop my fuel tank on my '03 SSS during the Radix install? thanks.

I recommend you install the kit as designed, ensure everything is as it should be, and then mod from there. I believe you'll see more than 5psi, probably in the 6-7lbs range. An 03 truck uses an inline fuel pump, no tank droppage :)

Bismarck 10-23-2005 11:14 PM

I would not change the pulley unless you have changed the electronics as well. You may not really gain much and build more heat, in other words, you will be operating in the part of the curve tha tthey called "dimisnishing returns", a less efficient system

dewmanshu 10-24-2005 05:42 AM

Originally Posted by moregrip
I recommend you install the kit as designed, ensure everything is as it should be, and then mod from there. I believe you'll see more than 5psi, probably in the 6-7lbs range. An 03 truck uses an inline fuel pump, no tank droppage :)

:stupid: You just have no idea how smart of an idea this is. You can always change the pulley later...don't change the pulley without a custom tune either (IMO).

JimS 10-24-2005 06:14 AM

Originally Posted by dewmanshu
:stupid: You just have no idea how smart of an idea this is. You can always change the pulley later...don't change the pulley without a custom tune either (IMO).

:stupid: The kit comes with a tune designed for the pulley that's on the Radix. I suggest you run it, check your boost, then if you're unhappy change the pulley and immediately get a custom tune. My 02 kit had an inline pump booster so I didn't have to drop the fuel tank.... but, prior to install day I did run the truck just about out of gas just in case.

wkdivr 10-24-2005 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by moregrip

Yes, PLEASE don't change anything till you make sure the system as recieved from Mag is running correctly. Then....if there's a problem with something youi can sort it out before you put all those variables in there. Much easier to troubleshoot!

Holty 10-24-2005 02:45 PM

besides the extra boost, what kind of problems could a smaller pulley impose? just wondering because its a bitch to change belts after all the shit is put back together and i know i'm gonna want to pulley down so why not do it in the beginning? really what kinda problems are we talking about here?

Mr. Sandog 10-24-2005 02:49 PM

You're asking the same question on more than one forum and getting the same answer, if you haven't noticed. You're getting reasons why it's not a good idea to immediately swap pulleys, but ignoring them. And you're still expressing a desire to do what you want to do anyway.

I suggest that you do what you want. Then, when your motor blows up and you come back here and tell us, we can all laugh at you.

dewmanshu 10-24-2005 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by Naked AV
You're asking the same question on more than one forum and getting the same answer, if you haven't noticed. And yet you're still expressing a desire to do what you want to do anyway.

I suggest that you do what you want. Then, when your motor blows up and you come back here and tell us, we can all laugh at you.

LOL...Holty you aren't just changing spark plugs here (which you plan to go a little colder right?) you are installing the most complete blower setup that is on the market...new injectors, blah blah blah...alot of shit. If you suffer form any complications...whatever they may be...Magnacharger will not (and rightfully so) support you cuz of the pulley change. Their tune that they supply isn't for that...it may be a pain in the ass to change a pulley and belt later but I promise you....your ass will hurt ten times as worse if you do any mods past what the manufacturer recommends or especially covers. Not that anythign will go wrong. But just when you think everything is hunky dory...and you think you can start recovering from the first hurricane...another slams into your ass. TAKE YOUR TIME! Plenty of people with horror stories on here.