FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

putting turbo in silverado?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2009, 08:20 PM
GFYS and STFU

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Fuel pump is easiest done if you pull the bed off the truck or at least jack it up so you can get to the top of the fuel tank. Dropping the fuel tank can get tricky. There are 8 bed bolts, 4 lighting connector clips found the the left of the license plate behind the bumper and three screws to the fuel filler cap. There might also be a ground strap but that's not on all the trucks so I'm not sure about yours.
Good luck!!
Old 07-19-2009, 08:25 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks
Old 07-19-2009, 08:35 PM
Staging Lane

heres a pic of my wrecked truck about a month ago, its fixed now Name:  l_cbebef3eb45748ac92680f58dd2a068c1.jpg
Views: 268
Size:  30.7 KB

I bent the frame in 3 spots, bent the spindle, control arm, a arm, and alot of other spots

Last edited by motormanimatt; 07-19-2009 at 08:45 PM.
Old 07-19-2009, 08:38 PM
Staging Lane

i just got it fixed in this picture and waxed it at my uncles house
Name:  l_d238791b57004f7fb25e1bf6bc2731e61.jpg
Views: 269
Size:  44.1 KB

then my back end with duels
Name:  matttruck.jpg
Views: 279
Size:  24.7 KB
Old 07-19-2009, 08:40 PM
Staging Lane

hay spoolin i just got off the phone with my dad, he said when the transmission went out when he had it, he had it gutted and had it rebuild for heavy duty pulling, am guessing he had heaver gears put in it
Old 07-19-2009, 08:50 PM
Where's the Beef?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes. Much to learn grass hopper.
I've been here 2 years and still learn stuff everyday. The only "Heavy Duty" 4l60e there is are built by Finish Line Transmissions and PerformaBuilt. Both are sponsors to the right of the page.
A stock transmission can shift hard into 2nd just by increasing the transmission line pressure or installing a shift kit. The fact that they say it's too big for the truck gives HOPE that it's an 80e but I can't imagine a shop that woulda went through the trouble of installing one.
The 4l60e will be on borrowed time with a turbo unless built up by a credible builder such as the ones who sponsor us. They have been proven time and time again.

As mentioned there is more to the build than just the turbo. For every modification you do there is a "supporting" mod that helps make it work.
For instance if you want a huge cam you'll need a stall converter to take advantage of it. If you want Large tires you'll want larger gears to make it move easier.
If your serious about getting some stuff done do some searching. Learn to use the search, it will become your friend and this site will take over your life. Learn how to search specific sections instead of the entire forum.

Every question you can think of has already been answered time and time again so find the best way to search for it and do so. Pay attention to what your reading and use info from each thread that is the same to compare and see whats different about them and why.
If in doubt post up a question or feel free to PM someone.
Old 07-19-2009, 08:57 PM
Staging Lane

umm if you had larger tires, wouldnt you want smaller gears cuz bigger tires are harder to move and they will make your truck move faster, and smaller tires that mean bigger gears since they are small tires and easy to move?
Old 07-19-2009, 08:57 PM
Where's the Beef?

Sounds like you still have a 60e which will not hold up to a turbo for very long.
If they changed the gears they would have needed to recalibrate your speedometer. Is your speedometer right?
Old 07-19-2009, 08:58 PM
Where's the Beef?

Originally Posted by motormanimatt
umm if you had larger tires, wouldnt you want smaller gears cuz bigger tires are harder to move and they will make your truck move faster, and smaller tires that mean bigger gears since they are small tires and easy to move?
For instance with my 20's. I went from a 3.42 gear to a 4.11. thats what I mean by larger gear.
It moves easier off the line but runs out of gear sooner.
Old 07-19-2009, 09:00 PM
TECH Veteran

Josh, the only thing I disagree with is that FLT and Performabuilt are the only two manufacturers that make a good transmission. They are both 2 of the best, but there are others who are just as good if not better in some aspect. With that said, it is very easy to get screwed by a transmission shop.

Oh and with that extra information I'd be more than willing to put money on it that the trans shop put an HD shift kit with 1 or more washers and servos. That would shift super hard on a stock truck with a stock converter.

Quick Reply: putting turbo in silverado?