FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

putting turbo in silverado?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2009, 11:54 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well, i have always dreamed of having a turbo in my truck lol, but am not looking to make my truck a 10 sec truck or anything, i just want the extra power to show off at school plus i love the sound of it, i want to have a truck to express people or have something to say my truck has power or able to take it and have it ran on a dyno, like spoolin did with his truck, but i do alot of mudding with my truck to and alot of pulling horse trailers, but my main part is to show off and impress people, and yes i love the power thats the other reason, but am not looking into droping alot of money just to make it a race truck, i just want it to have more power, and yes a litter faster, but not nascar
Old 07-18-2009, 11:57 PM
Staging Lane

but my main concern right now tho is just to get a turbo in my truck, but later on ill add chips and stuff to my truck, but if i did put a turbo in, would my transmission be fine? its a heavy duty transmission, i know i need to get it tuned from what i heard, it shifts hard out of first gear, its a new transmission
Old 07-19-2009, 12:40 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by motormanimatt
but my main concern right now tho is just to get a turbo in my truck, but later on ill add chips and stuff to my truck, but if i did put a turbo in, would my transmission be fine? its a heavy duty transmission, i know i need to get it tuned from what i heard, it shifts hard out of first gear, its a new transmission
"Heavy Duty Transmission means very little to people who know about performance." I'm willing to put money on it that at most it's a 4l60e with a shift kit and servos.

I think you need to be realistic. If you just want to show off then an electric cutout and a nitrous kit with a purge. That would be something to show off with.

It doesn't matter how little in parts you buy, in order to put a turbo on your truck and have it even run at all it's going to cost you at least $2500. For those who can say you can fabricate your own for cheaper than that, if he could do that, he probably wouldn't be asking for help how to put a turbo on.

I think you either need to scrap the idea or double the amount of money you're willing to spend. Even if you negate the transmission and rear end and everything else, the turbo setup alone is going to cost you AT LEAST $2500.
Old 07-19-2009, 01:25 AM
GFYS and STFU

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Here you go matt...this is as close as your gonna get to finding a cheap used and comprehensive turbo kit.

https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...d.php?t=444545
Old 07-19-2009, 08:49 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by thunderwagen
and the multiple other things that go with doing this you will more than likely have around 7k in the kit if not more. You start adding... and other supporting mods then you will likely go higer than that. ...And take my advice dont buy cheap **** just to get it going. Buy good stuff the first time and cry once.
He's right, buy quality.

I always dreamed of a performance vehicle myself. I also wanted a fullsize truck when I was a teen. It took 17 yrs to buy a new truck. To fulfill a dream takes effort, $, & a plan helps too. A word of caution, while it may be fun to show off/ impress at school, be careful what you say/ who you say it to. That way, you keep your truck as yours, & keep the riff-raff away.

No chips, you tune the PCM.

Does your tranny shift hard outta 1st cause their is a problem? Or cause it's built?

Originally Posted by RandomHero
...For those who say you can fabricate your own for cheaper than that, if he could do that, he probably wouldn't be asking for help how to put a turbo on.

I think you either need to scrap the idea or double the amount of money you're willing to spend. Even if you negate the transmission and rear end and everything else, the turbo setup alone is going to cost you AT LEAST $2500.
+1
Old 07-19-2009, 04:00 PM
Staging Lane

well when my dad had that truck that transmission went out in it, he had a new one put in and its a HD i dont know much i have to ask him more, hes says its too big for the truck thats why it shifts hard.. but when i got the truck from him i handed him 4G cash that i been saving up for a truck, he cut me a huge deal, but really he did help me out big time with a truck, 4g ant bad for a truck like that but i guess am going to be saving for a while to put a turbo in it, and btw am not wanting to put nos in my truck, i dont want to have a high risk blowing my engine up, not very smart
Old 07-19-2009, 04:22 PM
TECH Veteran

well when my dad had that truck that transmission went out in it, he had a new one put in and its a HD i dont know much i have to ask him more, hes says its too big for the truck thats why it shifts hard.. but when i got the truck from him i handed him 4G cash that i been saving up for a truck, he cut me a huge deal, but really he did help me out big time with a truck, 4g ant bad for a truck like that but i guess am going to be saving for a while to put a turbo in it, and btw am not wanting to put nos in my truck, i dont want to have a high risk blowing my engine up, not very smart
You are very very uninformed my friend. I can be as nice as I can about it, but there is no way around it.

In many ways nitrous is more safe than a turbo. You probably just saw Fast and the Furious a few too many times and thought it would blow up your engine. Read about some of the success stories about people spraying a 150 shot of nitrous for over 100 bottles(That's equivalent to almost 500 1/4 mile runs) through a stock bottom end engine.

As far as your "heavy duty" transmission. You or your dad apparently don't know what kind of transmission it has. I would be willing to put money on it that no shop took the time to install a 4l80e transmission on a stock truck, much less one that the customers knew nothing about. Nothing else is going to fit with little modification. The transmission shop probably put an HD shift kit in it and rebuilt the clutches and told you it was an HD transmission.

However, we can tell real quick if you climb under the truck and take pictures of the transmission and transmission crossmember.

There is no easy way to say this, but you need to spend more time on this site searching for old topics about this and learning. We can only tell you so much, but if you don't believe us our advice goes in one ear and out the other.
Old 07-19-2009, 04:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

OP, crawl under & look @ tranny pan.

4L60E = rectangle, 16 bolts

4L80E = rectangle missing 2 corners, 17 bolts
(2 corners angled)
Old 07-19-2009, 04:54 PM
GFYS and STFU

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Matt...RandomHero is our resident "Keeping people straight" enforcer. Believe it or not this is his more docile side...must mean he's taking a liking to you!!
But he is right on every point. Take a look around all the sections and use the search button and read up on the billions of topics already discussed concerning turbo's and transmissions. If your confused on something take a picture and post it up and we'll tell you what it is exactly you have. If it is in fact an HD transmission than it's more than likely an 4L80e. If it's as RandomHero said than it's is an 4L60e. (those are the two major automatic transmissions in our trucks btw...the 80e being bigger and much stronger than the 60e).
Read the stickies, they are very helpful and if there's a question you don't wanna post up than PM (Private Message) me and I'll point you in the right direction. We all started where you are so just do some reading and figure out exactly what it is you want to do.
Your dad gave you a hell of a deal btw on your truck!!
Old 07-19-2009, 08:05 PM
Staging Lane

thanks you guys alot, am currently in florida right now, ill be back in michigan saturday, and ill take a picture of my tansmission, i am in a auto class in school and completed with an A+ now am a jr and am taking advance auto, after i grad. am going for diseal mech. probaly going into the marines or army for it mybe. i love working on vehicles and want to learn alot of about them, you guys are really teachign me alot lol am full of questions all the time, my next thing i really have to do is put a new fuel pump in my truck soon, but i found this website some one told me about that you get parts dirt cheap i want to share with you guys car-part.com

Quick Reply: putting turbo in silverado?