FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

Power numbers

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2014, 12:19 AM
Whistle Truck Guy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by oakley6575
Who is the quack doing the tuning? I wouldn't trust him with your truck anymore. Anyone who leans it out to that extent while in boost "to make a clean run" is not a tuner. Obviously there is an issue somewhere if it won't pull clean. Instead of putting your truck in a dangerous position to get a horsepower number, he should have tuned it correctly and figured out what was happening.

Sorry to be blunt but that is pretty shitty he would do that to someone else's vehicle
I agree. I don't care about a power number... I'm not savvy in the ways of tuning (soon to change this) so I left the truck at this shop because it seemed to have a fueling issue (driver side showed, after a substantial increase in fueling, near perfect a/f, while downpipe readings showed pig rich, indicating driver side injectors were probably dirty), and I had no way to correct this issue with my current work schedule. I kind of hoped since this shop had been well recommended that I was safe in leaving it there. As far as tuning it lean, he made sure I knew it was very dangerous to have it that way, but said, since it needed such a lean tune to be clean, that there were other issues present. My question is, what could cause this type of issue?

Last edited by camd01silv; 10-22-2014 at 12:31 AM.
Old 10-22-2014, 06:58 AM
I have a gauge for that

Received 373 Likes on 254 Posts

It would be helpful to see what the o2 sensors are doing during boost. Its the easiest way to identify misfires, which is what it sounds like.

Lean is mean, until it blows up!

Close the plug gap to 0.020" and check to make sure a plug wire is not touching a hot pipe, even a little bit. No matter how much insulation you put on it the wire will burn through.
Old 10-22-2014, 09:35 AM
Mod with training wheels

Received 202 Likes on 138 Posts

Come on guys, as soon as you open a shop and start tuning out of it, you become a professional. Didn't you know that?
Old 10-22-2014, 09:42 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Like others have said, don't let him run the AFR that high, it needs to be richer. Did you do a compression check? Do the basics before you go back for tuning, compression check, plug gap, etc. What valve springs are you running? If it were me, I would get it running good at 12 PSI before I turned the boost up.
Old 10-22-2014, 10:46 AM
Admin

Received 216 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by GMCtrk
Holy ****. That is downright scary.

Your problem sounds like too large of a spark plug gap. Close it down to .025 and get the afr in the 11s and see how it does.
This... What plugs are in it and what is the gap? Dont ever go back to that tuner, anyone that leans it out that much with boost needs another job. You will be lucky if he didnt jack up your motor. Forget the saying lean is mean with boost. Boost likes fuel, at that boost level get your afr into the low 11's and be careful with timing if only running 93.
Old 10-23-2014, 10:22 AM
TECH Apprentice

Could also be the plug wires too. I wouldn't try swapping out coils, they are rarely the problem.

You need to take your truck somewhere else. Anyone that would run that high of an AF just to get a clean run is not who you want working on your truck. He might have damaged something already, but don't get worried yet. from the sounds of it you need to get your tune situated before you start looking at mechanical parts.

Where are you located? I'm sure there is someone here on the board that can give you a good reference for a tuner. My buddy that owns a shop could send you a tune through the mail that will work too.

I'm sure someone on here could send you a tune too. I can send you mine if you want it.
Old 10-23-2014, 10:29 AM
Teching In

I would also make sure that your/his wideband is calibrated and reading correctly. It will make a huge difference while you are logging.
Old 10-23-2014, 02:41 PM
On The Tree

What scale is your wideband calibrated to? I thought you said you were running e85... if so wouldn't the wideband be off if it was based on traditional gasoline?
Old 03-17-2018, 01:03 AM
Whistle Truck Guy

Hey guys. Just thought I'd go ahead and dig up this old thread lol. Ended up buying HP Tuners and reading everything I could find about tuning... Had to start from scratch and make my own tune file for the truck. Took a bit since this was the first vehicle I've ever tuned, but the ol girl has been running like a top for the last 2.5-3 years. Motor is fine, but I've been having trouble keeping a tranny in it. It's an 80e, but it's just a stock one with an HD2 shift kit.
Old 03-17-2018, 02:18 AM
Staging Lane

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by camd01silv
Hey guys. Just thought I'd go ahead and dig up this old thread lol. Ended up buying HP Tuners and reading everything I could find about tuning... Had to start from scratch and make my own tune file for the truck. Took a bit since this was the first vehicle I've ever tuned, but the ol girl has been running like a top for the last 2.5-3 years. Motor is fine, but I've been having trouble keeping a tranny in it. It's an 80e, but it's just a stock one with an HD2 shift kit.

sweet man, nice to hear!!! So what was the problem with the low power it made with the 7675 turbo after you got the cam situated?

Quick Reply: Power numbers