FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

Power numbers

Old 09-28-2014, 08:47 PM
Whistle Truck Guy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Now on to the next problem... The thing has developed a nasty miss. Thought it might have been plugs or wires, so I replaced them, and it got worse. Before I tore into it, we were driving it a little and I noticed a little miss, but it seemed to go away once the truck was warmed up. Now that the cam is squared up and new plugs are in, it will barely rev past 1500 if you hold the gas and brakes because its missing so bad. I know it'll need a retune because of the cam and new turbo, but jeez I didn't think it would be this bad. Haven't done a comp test yet, going to do that tomorrow. Hopefully driving it around with the cam a tooth off didn't bend a valve or something... DAMN HOT RODS!! LoL
Old 09-29-2014, 07:48 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by oakley6575
I'm in to hear what it was. You can add it to BlackGMC's retard story thread. We all have posts in there
I need to find this thread I think. For some laughs but sometimes u learn from others mistakes. In process, helps others who follow after.

Originally Posted by camd01silv
Got the timing cover pulled off today. Sure enough, the cam was a tooth off. Got it squared up and replaced the On3 76mm with a Precision 7475. Gotta change the oil and then heading to the tuner Tuesday afternoon. Hopefully it makes a bit more power this time.
Ok, so u found problem. But before u could see what smaller turbo did, u changed it... so u'll never know.
Old 10-13-2014, 12:00 AM
Whistle Truck Guy

Originally Posted by fastnblu
Ok, so u found problem. But before u could see what smaller turbo did, u changed it... so u'll never know.
Yeah but that's ok. The turbo I put on has much more potential.

In other news, I finally got to drive the truck yesterday... Drives just fine until it starts to build boost, then it starts spittin sputterin poppin bangin... No misfire tho, which made me feel better. Should be fun once it gets a good tune.
Old 10-13-2014, 07:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

What us your timing and af? I made 340 whp on 6 psi only to find my buddy had me at like 12 degrees lol.

Cranked it up to 12 psi and put it at 19 degrees on 93. No knock and tge old butt dyno said I picked up a lot of power. You can really run out the timing quiet a bit on e85. Significantly more than pump. Rule of thumb in my world is 18 degrees at 18 psi. Maybe a little aggressive but you get the idea.

I've seen gobs of power (100+) on the dyo with a good tuner due really conservative tuning by a previous shop.

Af is worth a lot of Power too.

Your mistake isn't that bad. I installed a clutch disk wrong once lol. I also had a rag cover the whole side of an intercooler. That one was fun to figure out haha
Old 10-21-2014, 11:50 PM
Whistle Truck Guy

Well I got a call from the tuner today. With the cam timing squared up, freshly cleaned injectors, and the air/fuel ratio set to an uncomfortable-for-forced-induction 13-13.5:1, as well as a jump in boost pressure from 15psi to 17psi, the truck made an even more disappointing 450-ish rwhp. So, with cam timing set dot to dot, the injectors cleaned, boost pressure up, and fuel mixture leaned way out, we lost 50-60rwhp. This is really pissing me off. Could the cam be ground wrong? I've heard if this but never had it happen to me. I'm at a loss as to what the **** is going on. Please someone help.
Old 10-21-2014, 11:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Why would you tune it to 13.5:1? It's not going to make power there
Old 10-21-2014, 11:57 PM
Whistle Truck Guy

Originally Posted by oakley6575
Why would you tune it to 13.5:1? It's not going to make power there
Tuner said that setting it that lean was the only way it would make a clean run on the dyno. Any richer and it would start cutting out. I thought that maybe the rockers had loosened off... That happened the first couple cam swaps I did. Never checked rockers on this swap after a few heat cycles.

I guess I really need to bite the bullet and buy some tuning software and do it myself...
Old 10-22-2014, 12:04 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 545 Likes on 471 Posts

What kind of tuner would say that, doesnt he understand how dangerous a lean condition could be if you are making alot of power.

To me it seems that he isnt very well skilled, but I can't be for sure.
Old 10-22-2014, 12:05 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Who is the quack doing the tuning? I wouldn't trust him with your truck anymore. Anyone who leans it out to that extent while in boost "to make a clean run" is not a tuner. Obviously there is an issue somewhere if it won't pull clean. Instead of putting your truck in a dangerous position to get a horsepower number, he should have tuned it correctly and figured out what was happening.

Sorry to be blunt but that is pretty shitty he would do that to someone else's vehicle
Old 10-22-2014, 12:09 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Holy ****. That is downright scary.

Your problem sounds like too large of a spark plug gap. Close it down to .025 and get the afr in the 11s and see how it does.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Power numbers