Post Whipple install - my feedback

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2016, 06:35 AM
TECH Addict

Received 371 Likes on 299 Posts
Default Post Whipple install - my feedback

So,

I'm a week post my Whipple install.

Mechanically, the install appears to have been done well. I have no complaints.

Tuning wise, well, I have some complaints/problems. Please keep in mind, I'm a novice tuner, at best but I do understand map, maf, sd, stoich, wot, kr and afr.

With that being said,

Part throttle driving:

I've done some logging over the last few days and immediately noticed that even at part throttle, light acceleration (under 40% throttle) that my afr would dip into the 9's. If I pressed the peddle harder, it would lean out to 11.2-11.5, which is where I would expect it to be for WOT. My fuel mileage is crap. I only managed 156 miles on the last tank.

I modified "PE Enable - MAP" to 85KPA. It was at 70KPA and I found that even light throttle acceleration, it would hit 70KPA easily and my afr would dip. It's better now. Part throttle accelerations are staying pretty close to stoich now along with highway cruising. Suggestions for this are welcomed as well. When I was NA, I just used pedal % as the trigger. It seemed to work well.

WOT

She rips the tires off if I stab it from a stop. I have to feather the pedal to keep from ripping the tires off. I have no wheel hop (didn't before the install). Part throttle jumps are instant and feels very effortlessly. AFR holds steady between 11.2-11.5.

Shifting

Shifting appears to be fine except for one issue. If I stab it in an attempt to pass, rpm's will hang for a few seconds and the truck won't shift. I think this is an issue with gear, tire size, shift points calibration. I'll have to wait until I get my interface back (sent it out yesterday to get upgraded to the PRO).

Timing

I did not like the timing table the tuner used. I think this lead to the way the truck felt off-idle. It felt almost lethargic. I looked a several canned Whipple tunes and it was completely different. I copied the Whipple timing tables into my tune (main spark high/low and idle (up to .28g to 1200rpm in the main spark table as well from the idle table)). It feels way better now. I did a scan after this and verified there is no knock. Fuel mileage seems to be better but definitely not like it was before.

Idle (cold - first start)

I've got an issue with it idling. I can crank it up and it idles fine but as soon as I drop it in R or D, it wants to stall (until warm). I'm not sure where to start on this one so any advice is gladly accepted.

Future plans

I ordered 2 pulleys from Whipple yesterday. A 3.25 (good for 10psi) and a 2.75 (good for 14psi). Next week I'll swap the pulley and load my 2bar SD tune and go from there. I think this thing just needs a solid tune done. I've also ordered a crank pin kit. It looks like I can do the pin kit without even having to get under the truck, I just have to go to Home Depot and get a smaller drill.

Before I put the 14psi pulley on, I want to have a meth kit. I know Atomic favors AlkyControl systems and Snow Performance appears to be the other big one. I know I've read plenty of posts where people are running above 10psi without meth but I'd rather be safe.

I'd like to thank Atomic helping me out with questions over PM. I have sent quite a few.
Old 02-16-2016, 06:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

for meth I've used alkycontrol in the past. I also used straight methanol, the problem with a mix is you're always banking on the accuracy of the mixture, straight you know exactly what you have for reliability and consistency.
Old 02-16-2016, 09:33 AM
I have a gauge for that

Received 374 Likes on 255 Posts

It sounds like a quick a dirty tune that is mainly designed to not let you blow it up. I would highly recommend getting it cleaned up before putting on a smaller pulley for more boost. I have done plenty of email tuning before if you would like me to do it for/help you with it. Send me a PM if that's something you would like to do
Old 02-16-2016, 09:41 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Atomic
It sounds like a quick a dirty tune that is mainly designed to not let you blow it up.

This is what I am thinking as well. It probably also led to the low dyno number. But again, it's just a number.
Old 02-16-2016, 10:45 PM
Restricted User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have a new escalade 6.2 and looking at the 2.9 whipple. 12 psi and meth and 3.5 inch cat back hopting hits 600 rwhp
Old 02-17-2016, 05:34 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by NORCAL TBSS
i have a new escalade 6.2 and looking at the 2.9 whipple. 12 psi and meth and 3.5 inch cat back hopting hits 600 rwhp

Whipple's on the new DI motors are just naaaasty. Good luck!!
Old 04-08-2016, 08:55 PM
Teching In

got any sound clips? can you hear the whipple?
Old 04-09-2016, 03:44 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Taternator
got any sound clips? can you hear the whipple?
At idle you can't hear it. At WOT there is only a slight hint of whine.
Old 04-25-2016, 03:06 PM
Teching In

Once you get over the 10 PSI you will hear the Whipple Whine way more....Im running about 10.8 PSI and made 630 RWHP on my 15 Denali...
Old 04-25-2016, 04:25 PM
Restricted User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Which pulley?
Stick exhaust?
Meth?

Quick Reply: Post Whipple install - my feedback