FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

Planning a turbo

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2017, 11:32 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Planning a turbo

Hey guys, starting to get some things together for a turbo set up.
first question, Im not too caught up to speed with turbo specs and what not, and I couldn't find the exact info on the Google. I have a garret ta51 08 1.75a/r turbine housing and .72 a/r compressor housing. It is a t6 flange as well. I am assuming this will be too big for my 5.3l with cam, springs ls9 gaskets, etc..? I got the turbo for free and the tolerances are well within spec. I am unsure of wheel sizes however. Any one using something similar?
Also I only plan to do 8-9 psi
Old 06-17-2017, 02:08 PM
Truck Sponsor

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts

Post ups pic.
Measure the wheels. That ar seems huge.
Old 06-17-2017, 06:52 PM
On The Tree

This is the unit. The turbine housing is HUGE. Once I can get back to the shop and pull the housings off I will measure it all up.
Old 06-18-2017, 10:41 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

The the quick research I did shows that turbo is somewhere around a 65-68mm compressor. The T6 is huge but you can just block one side of the divided housing and will probably work. You could use it for a "sloppy mechanics" style build and for a 5.3 and low boost, it will probably do ok. If it's free and you can fab, go for it. It will be better than nothing and a learning experience.
Old 06-18-2017, 11:23 AM
On The Tree

I contacted Garrett (Honeywell) with the model, p/n and s/n so hopefully they get back to me soon with details. Seems like everywhere I look it shows me different sizes. Monday I will be tearing it apart for a rebuild and to size it myself.
I have a few plans in my head, the first being to properly set up the seperated t6 flange and do 2.5" pipe to each of the 2 openings. The other to just bring driver side exhaust to the back of the passenger side and doing one pipe to both openings. This would be easier but I assume the first idea would provide better performance..

Also I will be getting a 50mm wastegate, really want to do an open wastegate with it coming out down by my bumper but that might get out of hand.
not sure if I will do a BOV, do I really need to worry about it?
Then I will just do an eBay intercooler with exhaust tubing for cold side.

​​​​
Old 06-19-2017, 11:15 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

I would not do 2, 2.5" feed pipes, wayyyyy to big. IF you kept them separate, 2" MAX with that giant hot side. Personally, for a 5.3 I would run a conventional log setup and block one side of that T6 turbine housing and only feel the side closest to the center section. Effectively cuts the A/R in half. We've done that before with a giant hot side Master Power turbo on 4.8 and it worked out great! You need a small hot side to keep velocity up on that big ole turbine housing.
Old 06-19-2017, 10:35 PM
Truck Sponsor

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts

2.5" way to large for the crossover pipes to turbo.
You'll want those smaller to keep velocity up.
Old 06-20-2017, 09:23 AM
TECH Addict

Received 371 Likes on 299 Posts

Is selling the T6 and getting a smaller/equal T4 an option?

You'd have to have an extremely high/loose stall to get it moving well.

If you're going to entertain what kbracing said (block off one side of the T6), wouldn't it just be easier/better to get a T4, log manifold and call it a day?

Plenty of setups using a T4/log combo that make plenty of HP for a daily driver.
Old 06-20-2017, 10:23 PM
On The Tree

i have thought about selling and getting a t4 turbo. i just dont know what i would sell it for. the turbo has never been installed on anything. Was a return item that was unable to be sent back. And this turbo would be sold for around 5500 bucks at a dealer, believe me, we've checked lol

I would like to use it. I have been doing some thinking and reading your guys' comments. i will probably be doing the log manifold setup and using one port of the flange with 2" exhaust. going to do a "custom" manifold and weld onto it. header wrap it and be on my way.

Now any of you with flipped manifolds, were you ok with your spark plug wires? i have the MSD 8.5mm wires and the boot seems long enough that i can bend up if need be. also i have NGK tr55 plugs which are just a stock heat range plug. will i need to go cooler than stock?
As far as injectors go i will try to find some 60lb or whatever but how far can i get on my flex fuel injectors? will probably make as much power as i can on stock injectors and get a better flow once i get the funds.
This leads me to the pump, i am sure my pump can supply enough for ~500 hp which is where id like to be once injectors are upgraded. maybe im wrong?