FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

PCV setup on a forced induction engine

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2012, 09:08 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PCV setup on a forced induction engine

I feel this topic is not talked about much (no thread dedicated to it after doing a search) and it is actually really important/could ruin your engine if done wrong

So, what setups are good?

I have stock intake (also no aftermarket valley cover). Right now I have passenger side vented to atmosphere w/ a filter at the end. Drivers side is connected to vacuum, but I replaced the stock PCV valve with a "one way" check valve style PCV. I feel this check valve isn't doing it's job the best it can though. Because of this:

I think I am getting blow by still, as it idles poorly after you hold the engine at a rev and sometimes wants to die. Oil is also breaking past the turbo seal and flowing into my cold pipes under boost (which is contaminating my MAF and making the truck run horrible). What are my other options for a PCV setup?
Old 02-06-2012, 09:58 PM
I have a gauge for that

Received 373 Likes on 254 Posts

This is actually talked about quite a bit. I have my passenger side vented with a filter, and the driver side going to an overflow can with a filter on it.
Old 02-06-2012, 10:59 PM
TECH Junkie

I plan on basically running both of mine thru a homemade catch can, then pre turbo
Old 02-06-2012, 11:12 PM
TECH Resident

On both of those setups, should you worry about any vacuum pulling the fumes while not in boost? or is that more of an "environmentally friendly" issue, than a screwing up your engine issue?
Old 02-06-2012, 11:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just ran both valve cover vents to a "T" and put a filter on it. right now its back like factory
I think when i go back turbo ill either vent it again or run the old STS 3 port noid to vent the CC soon as it sees 1psi boost.
Old 02-07-2012, 05:55 AM
11 Second Truck Club

I have my passenger side vented with a filter on it, driver side goes to a closed catch can with vacuum from between the turbo inlet and air filter. I've never been a big fan of not having vacuum to pull vapors out of the crankcase, especially running e85 as it seems to have much more condensation. I empty my can every week or so, don't really get any oil goop, but instead I get what looks and smells like 190 proof everclear!
Old 02-07-2012, 06:37 AM
11 sec. Truck Mod

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by joeyc125
I have my passenger side vented with a filter on it, driver side goes to a closed catch can with vacuum from between the turbo inlet and air filter. I've never been a big fan of not having vacuum to pull vapors out of the crankcase, especially running e85 as it seems to have much more condensation. I empty my can every week or so, don't really get any oil goop, but instead I get what looks and smells like 190 proof everclear!
Thats a win win situation bud!!! Turbo power and a stihl all in one!

I swear if these LSx engines could crap you would find a golden egg!!

Trending Topics

Old 02-07-2012, 09:30 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 134 Likes on 89 Posts

I am running the same setup as most with a vented pass side valve cover and driver sided thru a catch can to the vacuum source between throttle body and blower inlet. This worked well for me in the lower boost range (<12psi) but now at 15psi I am getting a little more crankcase pressure and it is saturating the pass side filter and dripping on my headers. I am looking into tapping each valve cover with -10 and running both to a vented catch can. I think this will provide plenty of ventilation for wot but I hate to remove the vacuum source for part throttle evacuation. If I could, I would try adding the LS6 valley cover and attaching to a vacuum source. This should provide an ample escape route thru the valve covers during wot and would allow crank case flushing with vacuum on the valley drawing fresh air thru the valve covers during part throttle driving.

Last edited by BigKID; 02-07-2012 at 09:38 AM.
Old 02-07-2012, 09:34 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

LS6 valley cover and catch can in between valley cover and intake tube. But now that you mention it, I do get a lot of water in my catch can when I run E85. I had never put 2 and 2 together, makes sense though.
Old 02-07-2012, 11:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I have mine like stock on the driver side with a catchcan and check valve in the middle. Passenger side goes from valve cover to catchcan to preturbo.

Quick Reply: PCV setup on a forced induction engine