FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

Newbie to turbo builds

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2018, 01:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Newbie to turbo builds

Hey guys I was wanting to get some opinions on whether or not you think its better/cheaper to buy a built turbo silverado or to build one out of a stock Truck?
why buy one over build one and vice versa?
pros and cons?
I'm looking at buying or building a 03-06 Chevy rcsb...thanks for all of your input.
Old 01-12-2018, 04:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 546 Likes on 472 Posts

What's your budget and goals?

I'm sure you could buy an already turbo charged truck but then you have to question if the build is going to last and if it was done right. For all you know it could be using less than desirable parts and the tune could be so called "good" but in reality it's bad and might just grenade of you someday. It's always a toss up either way.

Building one just takes time and money. Budget at least $5,000 to do the turbo kit, injectors, fuel pump, map sensor etc etc. Then add some for tuning if you do not own your own tuning software.

Past that you will have to upgrade the rear diff to remove the factory G80 locker and put in a much stronger unit like a eaton tru-trac or similar. I'd recommend swapping to a 4L80e and you will need a heavy duty rear driveshaft to support the power and speed you will be running. The 4L80e can cost you a little bit or a lotta bit depending on your goals. A mild build that only wants like 500-700hp will do fine with a nearly stock 80e in a light truck but if you want some absurd power over like 800whp you will need to spend more money on a built transmission.

Selling your old 4L60 can recoup some of your money. This is just my opinion here and gives you a general idea of what you are getting into.
Old 01-12-2018, 06:59 PM
Teching In

Probably cheaper and easier to buy one thats already modded. IMO i would just be extra picky because we all know its takes twice as much time to do things right when it comes to anything aftermarket. I just know ive had friends look at or buy cars where most of the work was done at different so called speed shops, and it just seemed to me that a lot of the shops were just putting a bandaid on somebody else's work. Just something to watch out for imo.
Old 01-12-2018, 07:20 PM

Yeah those are concerns I have had with buying a truck that' already built...i was thinking of buying a SS truck and throwing a turbo on it...it seems like it would be the best platform to build on since it has the 6.0, 4L80E, and is all wheel drive...i don't see the point in building a 2wd rcsb when that kind of power is useless on the street, I would think the extra weight of the SS and the AWD would help tremendously in the traction department on the street...what do you guys think?
Old 01-12-2018, 07:33 PM
TECH Resident

Received 58 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by SSMW183Z
Yeah those are concerns I have had with buying a truck that' already built...i was thinking of buying a SS truck and throwing a turbo on it...it seems like it would be the best platform to build on since it has the 6.0, 4L80E, and is all wheel drive...i don't see the point in building a 2wd rcsb when that kind of power is useless on the street, I would think the extra weight of the SS and the AWD would help tremendously in the traction department on the street...what do you guys think?
I may be wrong, but I don't think any SS came with 4L80e. I don't believe the LQ9 is as good for boost either, because of the higher compression. Someone correct me if I'm wrong here
Old 01-12-2018, 07:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 546 Likes on 472 Posts

The Silverado SS is still a half ton, they use the 4L65e, still the weak transmission and the front half ton diffs are a weak point as well in the AWD trucks.

No half ton truck came with a 4L80e. You'd need to purchase a 2500 truck to get the 6.0/4L80e combo from the factory.

You can make the 2wd get power down, get the right rear suspension setup and traction bars.