FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

Is my turbo crapping out?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2018, 10:23 PM
TECH Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Is my turbo crapping out?

Had my turbo apart and it looks like it might be leaking oil into the the exhaust side of the turbo. There is quite a bit of play in the shaft too. Any opinions?
Attached Thumbnails Is my turbo crapping out?-20180325_114237.jpg  
Old 06-03-2018, 07:40 AM
TECH Addict

Received 371 Likes on 299 Posts

I’d replace it before something really bad happens.
Old 06-03-2018, 08:16 AM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It would be interesting to see what clearances are. I don’t know how the system works but it probably uses a close clearance (similar to bearing clearance) seal to keep the oil out of the turbo stuff.
Old 06-03-2018, 09:43 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

If it's not smoking, don't worry about it. They just use a cast ring for an oil seal much like a piston ring on the exhaust side. There will be a lot of side to side play as they use a floating bushing for a bearing (shaft spins in the bushing, bushing spins in the housing). I believe the spec is something like .018-.030 or something like that. As long as it's not hitting the compressor housing, it's fine. You just don't want end to end play.
Old 06-03-2018, 01:41 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would have thought the clearances were more like a few thousandths. If they are unshrouded impellers you have to hold the position pretty close.
Old 06-03-2018, 02:03 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by kbracing96
If it's not smoking, don't worry about it. They just use a cast ring for an oil seal much like a piston ring on the exhaust side. There will be a lot of side to side play as they use a floating bushing for a bearing (shaft spins in the bushing, bushing spins in the housing). I believe the spec is something like .018-.030 or something like that. As long as it's not hitting the compressor housing, it's fine. You just don't want end to end play.
Last time it was on the dyno it was smoking some when my tuner let off the throttle, it's started using some oil like it never did before, and I'm also smelling burnt oil occasionally. I was just thinking the engine was get tired but it would be better if it's just the turbo. I'll probably take it off and see about getting it rebuilt.
Old 06-03-2018, 02:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Littlefield
I would have thought the clearances were more like a few thousandths. If they are unshrouded impellers you have to hold the position pretty close.
No, journal bearing turbos turn very high rpm and need a floating bushing to split the shaft speeds between the 2 surfaces. I've had many people open up a brand new BW turbo and call me saying the turbo is junk cuz there is so much shaft play and I have to explain to them that it's supposed to be that way, lol

Originally Posted by LPCWS6
Last time it was on the dyno it was smoking some when my tuner let off the throttle, it's started using some oil like it never did before, and I'm also smelling burnt oil occasionally. I was just thinking the engine was get tired but it would be better if it's just the turbo. I'll probably take it off and see about getting it rebuilt.
Most motors will smoke a little on the dyno when you let out of the throttle after a pull. There is a huge amount of vacuum and rpm and it tends to draw a little oil past the rings. All my trucks do it too. Those BW turbo's are built for 500k miles on a diesel. You've never worked it as hard as the MFG ment for it to be ran, lol.
The following users liked this post:
Mercier (06-04-2018)
Old 07-07-2018, 05:24 PM
TECH Regular

Just a little update. I took the turbo off and decided to have some one check it out. The bearings were shot and turbine was just barely starting to rub the exhaust housing. Had I waited any longer the guy said I would have need to replace a lot more. Anyways I asked him what made some turbos last a long time and some not so long. The guy told me it all has to do with your oil. If your motor is breaking down and has a lot of metal floating around in it, it will eat up your bearings real quick. Initially when I put my turbo on we did heads, cam, timing chain, and oil pump. I remember my first oil change after all that having a lot more metal chips on my drain plug. The guy was telling me one of the best things you can do for your turbo is to put a separate filter on the feed line and one of the worst if not the worst thing you can do to a turbo is to run it through the break in of a freshly built motor. Not sure if all that is true but it's what I was told and it made sense to me.
Old 07-07-2018, 06:20 PM
Truck Sponsor

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts

If you put a filter on. And it clogs kiss the turbo by.
Most turbo failure we hear about. Is shutting off the engine to soon after a heavy pull.
Or boosting before the engine has warmed up.
Old 07-07-2018, 09:36 PM
TECH Regular

All filters I've seen are able to be cleaned. I'll be putting one on my turbo once I get it back. I'll check it a lot at first just for ***** and giggles to see if it's catching much. My turbo didn't even last 20k miles, far from 500k like what was mentioned earlier.

Quick Reply: Is my turbo crapping out?