FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

my billet "hd" tensioner

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2011, 08:13 AM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

How much would you be wanting to sell them for?

Last edited by 1slow01Z71; 07-30-2011 at 01:05 PM.
Old 07-30-2011, 12:57 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 133 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by schino
The belt I have on in the pics is a couple inches to long so I haven't ran it with this yet. I'm going to grab some belts after work today. ...
With the position of the tensioner in the full tension position (on the stop) in your pic, I am concerned a shorter belt may not help that much. You may try moving the locator pin hole on the bracket about 15-20 degrees ccw.
Old 07-30-2011, 02:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by BigKID
I was quoted $475 from Magnacharger for the full non-maggie tensioner setup. The actual tensioner itself is Gates 38518 ($88.79 at RockAuto).
Did you get a quote for the PN's I gave you?

With the position of the tensioner in the full tension position (on the stop) in your pic, I am concerned a shorter belt may not help that much. You may try moving the locator pin hole on the bracket about 15-20 degrees ccw.
The belt need to be shorter, so the tensioner is about flat. Other wise it will rub on the back side of the belt when it slacks under full load. Also, the tentioner needs to have the notch on the moving part just past middle of the 2 gauge limit marks.
Old 07-30-2011, 05:44 PM
11 sec. Truck Mod

Wow, thats a nice piece bud.

I didnt know that the HD tensioner was a gates piece???

Thanks for the number,

BTW I bought mine from LC32 and it wasnt 400 bones.

But still yours is cheaper

You might have to make one for me bud.
Old 07-30-2011, 09:44 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by kbracing96
Yup.

The belt need to be shorter, so the tensioner is about flat. Other wise it will rub on the back side of the belt when it slacks under full load. Also, the tentioner needs to have the notch on the moving part just past middle of the 2 gauge limit marks.
I agree that with the correct length belt, the tensioner should be ~3:00 and about mid way between extents. Looking at the pic above, it looks to be ~2:00 now with it on the top extent stop. Even with a shorter belt putting the tensioner at 3:00, it wont be in the mid point of the tension range. Camera angles can be deceiving though.
Old 07-30-2011, 10:37 PM
TECH Veteran

Just went out to the garage to look at my tensioner. I looks like it has about 75* travel from stop to stop. Once mounted, to put it at 3:00 in mid travel, the locator pin should be at 180*(6:00) on the bracket. Looking at Schino's pics, once mounted the locator pin hole is ~7:00 thus moving it ~20* ccw could be beneficial even with the correct length belt.
Old 07-31-2011, 06:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1slow01Z71
How much would you be wanting to sell them for?
cody i replied to your pm. thank you

Originally Posted by kbracing96

kyle i had talked to you earlier about hd tensioner part numbers. i ordered the stuff but wasnt really what i needed. the main bracket was still not included. i also got a little mad at magnuson because i called and got quotes on the parts and wrote down the prices. i called back later to order and when i was quoted for example $32.56 the guy said okay thats $48. ehh whatever i ended up sending everything back except for the actual tensioner. thanks for your time with it.

when i put the hole in i was eyeballing it so it wouldnt rub. it definately needs to move ccw some. this belt is 109.3" next shorter they had was 108 which i couldnt get on and next longer was 110.5, to long. it sits are 3 oclock now but is definately before the middle of travel not past. this belt stretched at least a half inch since i put it on because at first it was middle or past, i was just able to slide it on...

Originally Posted by TIM Z
Wow, thats a nice piece bud.

I didnt know that the HD tensioner was a gates piece???

Thanks for the number,

BTW I bought mine from LC32 and it wasnt 400 bones.

But still yours is cheaper

You might have to make one for me bud.
thanks, i talked to joe at lc32 and he was very helpful but he quoted me 400 for the setup. i told him id rather just make my own and he told me a lot of people say that and end up calling him back and ordering the rest. glad i havent done that

Yup.

I agree that with the correct length belt, the tensioner should be ~3:00 and about mid way between extents. Looking at the pic above, it looks to be ~2:00 now with it on the top extent stop. Even with a shorter belt putting the tensioner at 3:00, it wont be in the mid point of the tension range. Camera angles can be deceiving though.
it was near 2 oclock like you seen, right now its at 3 but hole will be moved. heres a pic of it sitting now with the 109.3 belt

Just went out to the garage to look at my tensioner. I looks like it has about 75* travel from stop to stop. Once mounted, to put it at 3:00 in mid travel, the locator pin should be at 180*(6:00) on the bracket. Looking at Schino's pics, once mounted the locator pin hole is ~7:00 thus moving it ~20* ccw could be beneficial even with the correct length belt.
i was going to put the hole straight down but thought it would rub. but again i just eyeballed the position and i guessed wrong. part of why this was just a prototype piece. not going to lie i had to take an angle grinder to the back of this thing because it hit the water pump haha. ill put another hole in next to the one i have with no adverse affects.
Old 07-31-2011, 06:52 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Joe at LC32 seems to quote whatever price he feels like depending on his mood so dont let it bother you. Back in the day he sold another moderator an 8 rib kit for 300 bucks less than he quoted me so youre not the only one.
Old 07-31-2011, 06:54 PM
11 Second Hall Moniter

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You could also build it with multiple holes(maybe 1/8" apart?) so that the setup could be used for more than one application. Unless all setups need the exact same thing, IDK about that...
Old 07-31-2011, 08:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1slow01Z71
Joe at LC32 seems to quote whatever price he feels like depending on his mood so dont let it bother you. Back in the day he sold another moderator an 8 rib kit for 300 bucks less than he quoted me so youre not the only one.
haha ahh it happens. i got products i sell for the offroad industry and the prices arent always a set standard.

Originally Posted by AKlowriderZ71
You could also build it with multiple holes(maybe 1/8" apart?) so that the setup could be used for more than one application. Unless all setups need the exact same thing, IDK about that...
the spacer piece that you get from magnuson has 2 holes in it. i opted to not use that part on mine because its really not needed but more then 1 hole wouldnt be a bad idea. when its in the machine it takes all of 3 seconds to put it in the hole is around .320 dia i think so 1/8 would prob be to close but im going to put the next one right next to the first and see how it works.

does anyone know if the gmt 800 and 900 waterpumps are the same? im just wondering if i pulled this off of my truck would it bolt right onto a gmt 800 no problem

Quick Reply: my billet "hd" tensioner