FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

Maggie coolant reservoir location

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2011, 08:29 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Maggie coolant reservoir location

Im in the process of installing my efans and I need to re-locate the coolant reservoir because it was originally mounted on the fan shroud. I know in the kits from Magnuson they bolt it to the fuse box cover but I was thinking of mounting it to the left of the radiator in front of the battery. It would be tucked up out of the way and mounted directly to the grill support instead of the plastic fuse cover.

My only concern is heat since its so close to the radiator. I plan on putting a heat shield between them made of sheet metal to keep it cool. What do you guys think? I really like this location.

NOTE: In the pics it looks like the hose would hit the ECM cover but when actually mounted it will be up high enough to clear it.

Name:  tank2.jpg
Views: 354
Size:  50.3 KB

Name:  tank3.jpg
Views: 321
Size:  58.8 KB
Old 04-01-2011, 09:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

I located my fill spout up high and above the intercooler inlet/outlet so I would be able to fill it completely and evacuate all of the air in the system.(firewall pass. side under fender support) Other than that the location looks good.
Old 04-01-2011, 10:20 PM
Launching!

Whats the best way to bleed the system once I get it all back together since my reservoir will be lower than the input/output of the intercooler?
Old 04-02-2011, 01:56 AM
11 Second Hall Moniter

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If the tank is the highest part of the system, and the pump mounted below the tank, you won't get air trapped in the system. The air will stay in the highest part of the system, the tank.
Old 04-02-2011, 08:45 AM
Staging Lane

I have my tank placed in almost the same place but a bit higher. No heat issue from rad..

Name:  IMG_0236.jpg
Views: 550
Size:  123.6 KB

Name:  IMG_0235.jpg
Views: 405
Size:  138.2 KB

Name:  IMG_0237.jpg
Views: 321
Size:  146.3 KB

Dont mind the Snow Storm we are having on April 2.... Grrrr

Last edited by Pooki; 04-02-2011 at 08:47 AM. Reason: text
Old 04-02-2011, 08:45 AM
TECH Apprentice

If you have the tank filler spout mounted lower than the intercooler you could install an inline hose fill cap up close to your intercooler and this will take care of evacuating all the air in the system and will act as another fill point. However if you remove the tank fill cap you may get drain back from the elevated intercooler and hoses.
Old 04-02-2011, 10:41 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

While you're doing all these upgrades you should go ahead and pick up one of the trick reservoirs and call it a day!
Old 04-02-2011, 12:35 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 1bad2k
While you're doing all these upgrades you should go ahead and pick up one of the trick reservoirs and call it a day!
Yeah Im thinking thats the route Im gonna go. I made a bracket and mounted my stock tank by the radiator for now but Im liking those trick tanks.
Old 04-02-2011, 02:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

I've got the Trick tank mounted on the firewall just under the fender support. It's a perfect fit and I have the pump mounted under the tank so it is gravity fed. Also using water wetter but I'm not sure if it does all that much. Trick tank holds a gallon or more I believe.

1bad2k....LOVE YOUR AVATAR!
Old 04-03-2011, 05:29 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AKlowriderZ71
If the tank is the highest part of the system, and the pump mounted below the tank, you won't get air trapped in the system. The air will stay in the highest part of the system, the tank.
marovetsm, like u, I too wanna re-locate the coolant reservoir when I install my Radix, as I don't like bolting to fuse box cover, but for a different reason.
Roger (AKlow) & I just spoke about this yesterday before I'd even seen this thread today.

Heat so close to the radiator, or by fuse box, being near headers, which absorbs heat the most IDK. A heat shield between them made of sheet metal or a plastic one perhaps?

Roger, or Mike, so if tank is lower, the side affect of air trapped is bad why? Is it cause of potential hot spots just like rad. /cooling sys. or is it the drain back Mike mentioned below? As in, what's that drainback creating problemwise?

Originally Posted by Doobie
I located my fill spout up high and above the intercooler inlet/outlet so I would be able to fill it completely and evacuate all of the air in the system.(firewall pass. side under fender support) ...

If you have the tank filler spout mounted lower than the intercooler you could install an inline hose fill cap up close to your intercooler and this will take care of evacuating all the air in the system and will act as another fill point. However if you remove the tank fill cap you may get drain back from the elevated intercooler and hoses.

I've got the Trick tank mounted on the firewall just under the fender support. It's a perfect fit and I have the pump mounted under the tank so it is gravity fed. Also using water wetter but I'm not sure if it does all that much. . ...
Trick tank holds 1 1/2 Gals.
And yes, 1bad2k has a sweet avatar!!!

Quick Reply: Maggie coolant reservoir location