FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

LS Swap K5 blazer going turbo! 500whp goal, HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2014, 06:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yep search for user Thunderwagen's build in the project's section. That's where I first saw the brackets...I ended up buying that set from him to run on my 87 crew cab project.
Old 05-16-2014, 07:22 AM
Laid Back

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by jkroberts
is this similar to what youare talking about? i couldnt find the exact one but this one seems pretty similar On 3 Performance 76mm Turbo Camaro LS1 LS2 LS3 LS6 LSX Camaro Trans Am 6 0L 5 3L | eBay

also, am i right in thinking that typically the lower the ar exhaust the quicker the spool?
Yea, thats just like the one i mentioned, but 76mm compressor. You might have to run a smaller turbo at higher boost to get what the power you want and still have fast spool. And yes, lower A/R equals quicker spool.

Do you have plans to strap the truck on a dyno and shoot for 500 rwhp?

I wouldn't worry about rwhp numbers. I suggest you put on a good sized turbo and adjust the boost to your liking.
Old 05-16-2014, 06:32 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Beatdown Z
Yea, thats just like the one i mentioned, but 76mm compressor. You might have to run a smaller turbo at higher boost to get what the power you want and still have fast spool. And yes, lower A/R equals quicker spool.

Do you have plans to strap the truck on a dyno and shoot for 500 rwhp?

I wouldn't worry about rwhp numbers. I suggest you put on a good sized turbo and adjust the boost to your liking.
Awesome. My plan was to run about 12 psi through this turbo. What should i look for in a turbo that will work all the way through my RPM range? The rev limiter is set at 6k. If i get a turbo with a low A/R that meana the top end will fall off sooner right? But if i have a smaller compressor it will spool faster and i can run a higher A/R right? Theres too many choices for turbos!

I think im gunna start with the turbo i posted and go from there.

I do have plans on putting it on the dyno but like you said ill play with it to fot my needs best. Having it be 500rwhp would be cool but this will see many many miles
Old 05-17-2014, 01:19 AM
Staging Lane

well this is gunna take longer than expected, life got in the way with some un expected bills oh well itll give me more time to figure out what i want.

i thnk im just gunna get that 76mm turbo with the .81 A/R. im more concerned with low end than top and if it doesnt work itll give me a better idea of what i want then i can spend the good money on a good turbo.

on to the next thing, wastegates. can i get by with just the normal 38MM gate? or will i need to go bigger?

and iwould like to have a manual boost controller, or would an electric one be better? i really wanna keep it as simple as possible.

thanks for all the help BTW, you gus are awesome!
Old 05-19-2014, 08:46 PM
Laid Back

I like the 44mm gates with their v-band connection over the 2-bolt flanged 38mm gates(just a personal preference thing). I think either will work just fine for you.

Nothing wrong with manual boost controllers. They work great!
Old 05-20-2014, 12:55 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Beatdown Z
I like the 44mm gates with their v-band connection over the 2-bolt flanged 38mm gates(just a personal preference thing). I think either will work just fine for you.

Nothing wrong with manual boost controllers. They work great!
good to know that either will work. ill look for a 44mm just to be safe though.

any recomendations for manual boost controller? id like something i can control from inside the cab. this one looks cool, but its pricey! Turbosmart Dual Stage Boost Control Valve : BoostController.com LLC - America's Source for High quality turbo boost controllers, silicone hose, and more performance products - 877-836-6155- precision boost control. Turbosmart Warehouse Distributor

EDIT: what PSI wastegate should i get? if i want to run 12psi max shouldi get a 12 psi waste gate?

Last edited by jkroberts; 05-20-2014 at 01:00 AM.
Old 05-22-2014, 05:10 PM
Laid Back

I'm running this controller in my truck: Hallman Evolution Kit : BoostController.com LLC - America's Source for High quality turbo boost controllers, silicone hose, and more performance products - 877-836-6155- precision boost control. Turbosmart Warehouse Distributor

If you want 12 psi MAX, then run a 6-8 psi spring. The boost controller will allow you to double whatever spring you have in the wastegate.
Old 06-02-2014, 10:53 PM
Staging Lane

think i have the turbo stuff figured out. now i need to figure out my fuel system

for some reason i cant remember for the life of me what pump i put in the tank and i cant find my receipts. im pretty sure that its the walbro 255 pump in the tank with the corvette fuel regulator on the frame rail. i know i need bigger injectors but will my pump support the turbo and still have room left over? if not my buddy will give me his brand new aeromative 1000 for $200. will that be better? he doesnt want to hold onto it for too long so i have to make a decision pretty quick.

i have 1 more payment for my trans then ill start buying a lot of the parts. i hope to have this thing boosted by the end of summer!
Old 06-03-2014, 12:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by jkroberts
Good to know that either will work. I'll look for a 44mm just to be safe though.

Any recommendations for manual boost controller? I'd like something i can control from inside the cab. This one looks cool, but its pricey!

EDIT: What PSI waste gate should I get? If I want to run 12psi max should I get a 12 psi waste gate spring?

You want the WG spring for the LOWEST boost you want to run. Boost controllers can only raise the boost. They can not lower it.
Old 06-03-2014, 12:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cool build! I'm also building a 84' K5 trail truck. I just started my thread. Check it out when you get a chance. Maybe you could assist me on some stuff also

Quick Reply: LS Swap K5 blazer going turbo! 500whp goal, HELP!!