FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

looking to cam my 4.8 on boost

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2012, 03:59 PM
9 Second Truck Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

They're not talking light cars here with large Ci. Talking heavy trucks small ci. There is also much more to a combo than dyno #'s.
Old 04-17-2012, 04:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by stock48
They're not talking light cars here with large Ci. Talking heavy trucks small ci. There is also much more to a combo than dyno #'s.
Yep....and if you blow hard enough in the intake, just about any cam will suffice....for dyno numbers. Optimum, no. If you're going to all the trouble to do a cam swap, at least get one that maximizes your specific rig. An LS9 sports a great cam. It's just not for every f/i situation....no matter what Lingenfelter says It's cheap, but not a bolt in. You still have to buy additional parts to make it work. You're settling for a "one size fits all" cam and not saving any money when it's all said and done.

Disclaimer:::: I love Lingenfelter. They do great work. They make great products. They have many happy customers
Old 04-17-2012, 07:13 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by old motorhead
Yep....and if you blow hard enough in the intake, just about any cam will suffice....for dyno numbers.
Agreed...

Was just recommending the LS9 over the LS6. If the one that he's able to get from his friend is cheap (<$250), it would be fine too. Obviously if he's looking to get everything he can from his build, it should be spec'd. But if it's more of a budget build and he's not hoping for 800+hp numbers at the time, I think any of the three (friends, LS6, or LS9) would work fine for his app.

Article from Hot Rod Mag... Stock GM LS Engine - Big Bang Theory - Hot Rod Magazine

for those who haven't seen it yet...

Note: "Fel-Pro MLS head gaskets and ARP studs hold the heads on, and the cam is an off-the-shelf 228/230 grind from Comp."

Like you said, just blow harder... lol those 4.8's are TOUGH!
Old 04-17-2012, 08:31 PM
Launching!

I would pump up the boost to 15 psi but my IATs are hitting 180 degrees and it would hurt me more than it would help already shootung meth but it doesn't really help with the magnaheater
Old 01-16-2013, 01:36 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by HRHohio
Agreed...

Was just recommending the LS9 over the LS6. If the one that he's able to get from his friend is cheap (<$250), it would be fine too. Obviously if he's looking to get everything he can from his build, it should be spec'd. But if it's more of a budget build and he's not hoping for 800+hp numbers at the time, I think any of the three (friends, LS6, or LS9) would work fine for his app.

Article from Hot Rod Mag... Stock GM LS Engine - Big Bang Theory - Hot Rod Magazine

for those who haven't seen it yet...

Note: "Fel-Pro MLS head gaskets and ARP studs hold the heads on, and the cam is an off-the-shelf 228/230 grind from Comp."

Like you said, just blow harder... lol those 4.8's are TOUGH!

I know this is an old thread but doing a google search led me to it. I just purchased an 04 rcsb silverado with the unicorn-ish powertrain combo comprised of a 4.8L/5MT.

This article blew my mind. I've read ppl's words on these forums ******* on the 4.8 saying don't waste your time modding it.

I just ordered the Maggie 1900TVS as my first mod for this truck. I'm hoping for around 400rwhp. Am I expecting too much?
Old 01-16-2013, 03:39 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by blwn4.8
If I had a little more $$ I would go with the trucker cam from vinci but they're pricey, and I'm getting this cam for a killer deal so that's the main reason for getting cammed. I just didn't know if it would help at all
just get his cam, yolo. i might change mine as well now that i just keep adding to my build
Old 01-16-2013, 06:19 AM
Import Moderator

Originally Posted by SIXJAK
I know this is an old thread but doing a google search led me to it. I just purchased an 04 rcsb silverado with the unicorn-ish powertrain combo comprised of a 4.8L/5MT.

This article blew my mind. I've read ppl's words on these forums ******* on the 4.8 saying don't waste your time modding it.

I just ordered the Maggie 1900TVS as my first mod for this truck. I'm hoping for around 400rwhp. Am I expecting too much?
You won't hear people on this forum ******* on the 4.8 lol.

With the right pulley/tune you can hit 400hp. Blownchevy did 380 on his 05' with nothing but a TVS1900 and a 3.4" pulley (11lbs). Add headers to that and you should be in the 400s.
Old 01-17-2013, 01:38 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by beastmode
You won't hear people on this forum ******* on the 4.8 lol.

With the right pulley/tune you can hit 400hp. Blownchevy did 380 on his 05' with nothing but a TVS1900 and a 3.4" pulley (11lbs). Add headers to that and you should be in the 400s.
Thanks for the info. I'm assuming you're meaning long tubes. I'll have to think about that. I really like my exhaust note right now. It's got a great LS V8 sound and doesn't annoyingly drone on the freeway. My Camaro is already pretty loud. I just don't want become the village idiot in my neighborhood.
Old 01-17-2013, 04:14 AM
Admin

Received 216 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by SIXJAK
Thanks for the info. I'm assuming you're meaning long tubes. I'll have to think about that. I really like my exhaust note right now. It's got a great LS V8 sound and doesn't annoyingly drone on the freeway. My Camaro is already pretty loud. I just don't want become the village idiot in my neighborhood.
But every neighborhood needs one.
Old 01-17-2013, 10:34 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 03sierraslt
But every neighborhood needs one.
Lol. We already have one. She lives right behind me.

Quick Reply: looking to cam my 4.8 on boost