FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

large intercooler resivior for ice

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2011, 11:27 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default large intercooler resivior for ice

Curious if anyone has setup a large intercooler resivior for adding ice & how they kept the small pieces from jamming the pump(filter or separation screen?). I'm considering the use of a modified plastic or aluminum fuel cell.
Old 03-08-2011, 11:37 PM
11 Second Hall Moniter

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I freeze water bottles, and change the frozen bottles out between runs. I can put 6 of them in my tank. It works.

When I've put ice cubes in the tank, they stay floating on water anyways. Only water gets into the pump.
Old 03-09-2011, 12:07 AM
Mod with training wheels

Received 202 Likes on 138 Posts

I didn't even ask, but the guy who built my tank put a little screen over the outlet hole. Thought it was nice of him to just add it. Its basically a piece of metal with a bunch of holes drilled in it. Ice cubes will float, though. And that water bottle idea is a damn good one
Old 03-09-2011, 01:59 AM
TECH Addict

been contemplating putting a 10-15 gallon in my bed . just running a hose to front from the bed seems like it will loose all of the coolness by the time it gets to the intercooler. the nice thing is my intercooler has a 1" thread so i could run some serious hose to help flow. although finding a 1 inch 12v pump isnt easy.

i was also thinking it would be wise to completely bypass the head exchanger since it will be hurting the cold water by adding ambient heat.

the ones ive seen and run in the engine bay cant really hold enough water to stay cool for any amount of time , i had a 3 gallon and by the time i was staging the ice was gone.

kind of alot of work for the gain, ive laxed the idea and turned the methanol up.
Old 03-09-2011, 09:44 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 134 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by 2004SSS
been contemplating putting a 10-15 gallon in my bed . just running a hose to front from the bed seems like it will loose all of the coolness by the time it gets to the intercooler. the nice thing is my intercooler has a 1" thread so i could run some serious hose to help flow. although finding a 1 inch 12v pump isnt easy.
Johnson has some 1.5" in/out pumps that may work for you. The 1.5" plumbing may help with the line loss from the bed to engine bay as well. http://www.johnson-pump.com/JPMarine...ion/index.html
Old 03-09-2011, 01:01 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 2004SSS

i was also thinking it would be wise to completely bypass the head exchanger since it will be hurting the cold water by adding ambient heat.

the ones ive seen and run in the engine bay cant really hold enough water to stay cool for any amount of time , i had a 3 gallon and by the time i was staging the ice was gone.

kind of alot of work for the gain, ive laxed the idea and turned the methanol up.

Chase I have one being built that fits between the frame rails where the skidplate normally goes under the front,it will have 1" hose feed and return,is roughly 10 gallons and has a tranny cooler mounted inside with -aN fittings for the tranny lines,2 6" filler holes on top and will drop down for filling purposes. If you want I will send you some pics when it arrives,should be in the next week or two.It was actually pretty reasonably priced and the guys work looks phenominal!
Also on the thread subject he puts a screens inside to keep ice away from the pump!
Old 03-09-2011, 05:15 PM
Truck Sponsor

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by DanszToy
Curious if anyone has setup a large intercooler resivior for adding ice & how they kept the small pieces from jamming the pump(filter or separation screen?). I'm considering the use of a modified plastic or aluminum fuel cell.
Ice floats, the screens only help if you over stuff the tank, and only on larger pieces. To get a screen small enough to stop the pump from getting jammed up, would restrict the flow of that pump.
Old 03-09-2011, 05:52 PM
11 Second Hall Moniter

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by TrickPerformanceProducts
Ice floats, the screens only help if you over stuff the tank, and only on larger pieces. To get a screen small enough to stop the pump from getting jammed up, would restrict the flow of that pump.
Old 03-09-2011, 06:11 PM
Gingervitis Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

X3....also if you use a submerged style bilge pump, it has its own built in "screen"
Old 03-09-2011, 08:24 PM
Teching In

I'm hoping to come up with some kind of filtering idea that will hold up with a full load of ice(3gal.)& not restrict the flow. Thanks for your input.

Quick Reply: large intercooler resivior for ice