FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

Injector cleaner for FI and DI

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2016, 09:56 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 252 Likes on 164 Posts
Default Injector cleaner for FI and DI

So everyone's thoughts on fuel injector cleaner with forced induction and Direct Injection? Does it lower octane or what? Lucas is the brand I've used on other vehicles. Supposed to work with DI as well but not sure if may create problems.
Old 03-18-2016, 10:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 546 Likes on 472 Posts

How can it make a problem??

It's just a cleaner that burns with the fuel and most bottles are less than 16-20oz.

Modern fuel is already pretty clean and with direct injection I doubt there is any issues with dirty injectors and stuff being built up on the pistons. You might get some soot and junk up in the intake runner/before the valve because fuel isnt washing it away like on a port fuel injected car.
Old 03-18-2016, 10:08 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by FFDP
How can it make a problem??

It's just a cleaner that burns with the fuel and most bottles are less than 16-20oz.

Modern fuel is already pretty clean and with direct injection I doubt there is any issues with dirty injectors and stuff being built up on the pistons. You might get some soot and junk up in the intake runner/before the valve because fuel isnt washing it away like on a port fuel injected car.
So not enough to change the octane huh? I use Shell 93 so far. I did notice the intake valve starting to look a little nasty when I did the Whipple. Guess there is nothing I can do about that.
Old 03-18-2016, 10:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 546 Likes on 472 Posts

It won't raise or lower the octane, it's not designed to do either. Even those bottles of octane booster in auto stores don't even change octane ratings like they claim. I'd only trust torco or race fuels to raise octane ratings.
Old 03-18-2016, 10:16 PM
Resident Retard

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

My buddy that works on DI vehicles from the dealership said you need 2 things. A catch can and a top end (intake) clean. Kinda like seafoam. He did my DI CTS and i could tell a difference.
Old 03-18-2016, 10:25 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by FFDP
It won't raise or lower the octane, it's not designed to do either. Even those bottles of octane booster in auto stores don't even change octane ratings like they claim. I'd only trust torco or race fuels to raise octane ratings.
Good to know thanks!
Originally Posted by BlackGMC
My buddy that works on DI vehicles from the dealership said you need 2 things. A catch can and a top end (intake) clean. Kinda like seafoam. He did my DI CTS and i could tell a difference.
Thanks for the info! Yeah I haven't gotten around to installing the catch can or the trucool yet. I'm bad. BTW my friend from the Gym David McGuyer said he's known you for quite a while. We talk training or cars lol see him about 1-2 times a week. What a good guy!
Old 03-18-2016, 11:05 PM
Resident Retard

Originally Posted by ZO6Ted
Good to know thanks!

Thanks for the info! Yeah I haven't gotten around to installing the catch can or the trucool yet. I'm bad. BTW my friend from the Gym David McGuyer said he's known you for quite a while. We talk training or cars lol see him about 1-2 times a week. What a good guy!
You mean big *** David that looks like the Hulk?
Old 03-19-2016, 07:22 PM
TECH Junkie

Yes sir met him about 3 yrs ago at LA. He deadlifts over 800 lbs in the 242 class. But a very helpful and humble badass and a great guy! Said you're a pretty darn good tuner yourself! He spotted me for a 300 bench on my 65th bday 2 weeks ago @ 192lbs. It was a goal of mine almost 2 yrs now post cancer. Finally moving forward again
Old 03-19-2016, 10:18 PM
Resident Retard

Originally Posted by ZO6Ted
Yes sir met him about 3 yrs ago at LA. He deadlifts over 800 lbs in the 242 class. But a very helpful and humble badass and a great guy! Said you're a pretty darn good tuner yourself! He spotted me for a 300 bench on my 65th bday 2 weeks ago @ 192lbs. It was a goal of mine almost 2 yrs now post cancer. Finally moving forward again
Congrats on the cancer thing!

Yeah i have known David for along time. We kinda lost touch after his girl was born. We used to goto the track alot back in the day. Yeah i have been know todo some tuning, new and old stuff. I dont ever think i charged anyone, i just enjoyed the challenge and felt bad for guys that got ripped off by other tuners. My wife put an end to it awhile ago since it was taking up alot of time.
Old 03-19-2016, 10:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ya, its called E85

Quick Reply: Injector cleaner for FI and DI