FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

Identifying my supercharger

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2018, 06:58 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Identifying my supercharger

I just purchased my H2 last week, I've always liked them and have been looking for a decent one for a very long time. And voila.i found a whipple supercharged one. It's a 2003 with 62k miles and no real issues....except for a slight "marbles in a blender sound" while at idle. not horrible just annoying, no loss of power, and it stops as soon as it gets some throttle. I noticed the tensioner was jumping quite a bit, so I replaced it, and the jumping has gone down to half of what it was, and the sound has gone away slightly with it, but I still have a small jump. Anyways. I have a feeling something is off inside of the sc. My issue is, I have no idea of which rebuild kit I should buy, because I'm not sure which whipple I have. Maybe someone can chime in, who has one, knows the model, or knows of something else that can be causing it? Maybe a how - to. I don't want to tear it apart if I don't have to, nor tear it apart if I'm not going to rebuild it. If you need more info, just ask.

thank you in advance.
Old 04-03-2018, 10:18 PM
TECH Addict

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Old 2.3 Whipple non intercooled side mount, best thing to do is call whipple for the parts and tell them that. Believe they only made one supercharger (2300ax) for that kit back then so shouldn’t be hard for them to narrow it down.
Old 04-04-2018, 07:33 AM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The noise may be normal. My 2.9 does it. On mine, I think it’s the rotors rattling in the gear backlash until there’s some load on the compressor.
Old 04-04-2018, 08:18 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 191 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by Three6GMC
,.,..... best thing to do is call whipple for the parts .......
Good luck with that. The last time (emphasis on last) that I called, they wouldn't even answer my question, the guy just said that they don't support that super charger anymore. Please post what they tell you, BlownH2.
Old 04-04-2018, 08:20 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 191 Likes on 149 Posts

And mine makes a little bit of that noise, and has for quite a while.
Old 04-04-2018, 08:26 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Littlefield
The noise may be normal. My 2.9 does it. On mine, I think it’s the rotors rattling in the gear backlash until there’s some load on the compressor.
I was gunna say the same thing however it depends on how bad which only he knows at the moment... I had an older mp112 and after a healthy cam boy was she “rattlin” at idle only.. never had any issues and blower was still immaculate inside when removed... pretty normal for some “rotor slap” until they’re loaded as u said ... again idk how loud yours actually is blownh2....
Old 04-04-2018, 11:00 AM
TECH Addict

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeGyver
Good luck with that. The last time (emphasis on last) that I called, they wouldn't even answer my question, the guy just said that they don't support that super charger anymore. Please post what they tell you, BlownH2.
Damn that sucks, never delt with whipple before... all my trucks are turbo
The following users liked this post:
LOWRIDERGMC (04-04-2018)
Old 04-04-2018, 03:13 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by LOWRIDERGMC
I was gunna say the same thing however it depends on how bad which only he knows at the moment... I had an older mp112 and after a healthy cam boy was she “rattlin” at idle only.. never had any issues and blower was still immaculate inside when removed... pretty normal for some “rotor slap” until they’re loaded as u said ... again idk how loud yours actually is blownh2....
here in about an hour or so I will upload a video so you guys can hear it, and approximately how far away I can hear it from the vehicle.
The following users liked this post:
LOWRIDERGMC (04-05-2018)
Old 04-05-2018, 07:59 AM
Teching In

Noise is likely normal. I have a Gen 3 2.9 and your description of the sound sounds similar. I’m a turbo guy, but have had OEM LSA and LT4 blowers, which are much quieter and the noise caught me by surprise. A call to Whipple revealed that some noise is considered normal, especially if it goes away under load.
Old 04-06-2018, 10:24 AM
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, I had my Whipple side mount on my truck for about 10 years and it rattled at idle from day one. Couldn't really hear it too bad with the hood closed. It is normal. I sold mine to a guy that is still running it, about 3-4 years ago.

Quick Reply: Identifying my supercharger