FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

Ice in the Radix tank or bigger tank?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2006, 08:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by BlownChevy
The A/C has nothing to do with the Heater core though. If it did that would be awsome.

There was a company making a kit that worked with the A/C, I met with the guy and did not like what I saw.....Just was not complete enough as far as I am concerned.
Ummm.... ya it does. The air blows though the AC condenser, then though the heater core when the temp select is set to hot or when running the defroster ( when its set to cold, the air is bypassed by the heater core). The main reason it is setup like this is when you run the defroster, the ac cools the incoming air to condense the moister out of it and then the heater core heats it back up so you blow hot dry air on the windows. If your not running hot engine water though it and just running warm intercooler water though it, it should have no problem cooling that water right down. I know this will work, I'm trying to talk Thunder550 into trying it, you saw his IAT
Old 03-30-2006, 08:44 PM
blownerator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by kbracing96
Ummm.... ya it does. The air blows though the AC condenser, then though the heater core when the temp select is set to hot or when running the defroster ( when its set to cold, the air is bypassed by the heater core). The main reason it is setup like this is when you run the defroster, the ac cools the incoming air to condense the moister out of it and then the heater core heats it back up so you blow hot dry air on the windows. If your not running hot engine water though it and just running warm intercooler water though it, it should have no problem cooling that water right down. I know this will work, I'm trying to talk Thunder550 into trying it, you saw his IAT

Ummmmm.........Now you sound like you are making sense .....The way it read to me is you were going to run the Radix I/C through the vehicle cooling system. I did not quite understand it until now, you might be onto something.....Guess I need to read a thead a little better next time!
Old 03-30-2006, 09:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kbracing96
Definately doable and not too difficult. Great idea kbracing96 . I have thought about this before but not with solenoid valves to allow you to return to normal. That solves the only problem I had.
Old 03-30-2006, 09:26 PM
TECH Veteran

duner does this on his Dakota. He hasn't posted in awhile, but I saw his setup first hand and it definatly works very well. His blower hat was cold to the touch. Do a search on here and you'll see how exactly he did everything. The problem that I see is the heat soak between rounds or WOT runs. Your AC compressor shuts off at WOT (as it should) and that's when you need the cooling the most. It only provides a short burst of chilled water, because once all the water is warmed up, it takes quite some time for the AC to cool it back down. You'd have to be at part throttle or staging for a long time with the truck running for the water to cool. Sure you can run a big *** water reservior, but that's added weight and you'd have to insulate the crap out of it. I have another idea that is much simpler, doesn't involve water, reserviors, pumps what have you. It won't get heat soaked and it doesn't depend on the trucks AC system and it will work ALL the time. It will work for any SC, turbo and NA engine.
Old 03-30-2006, 09:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by vanillagorilla
duner does this on his Dakota. He hasn't posted in awhile, but I saw his setup first hand and it definatly works very well. His blower hat was cold to the touch. Do a search on here and you'll see how exactly he did everything. The problem that I see is the heat soak between rounds or WOT runs. Your AC compressor shuts off at WOT (as it should) and that's when you need the cooling the most. It only provides a short burst of chilled water, because once all the water is warmed up, it takes quite some time for the AC to cool it back down. You'd have to be at part throttle or staging for a long time with the truck running for the water to cool. Sure you can run a big *** water reservior, but that's added weight and you'd have to insulate the crap out of it. I have another idea that is much simpler, doesn't involve water, reserviors, pumps what have you. It won't get heat soaked and it doesn't depend on the trucks AC system and it will work ALL the time. It will work for any SC, turbo and NA engine.
I remember duner's set up by in my location I don't want to have to worry about switching the hoses back and forth per the season.
Old 03-30-2006, 09:47 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 8ALTNG
Isnt this what the Lightning guys do??? It works for them.
No. A lot of the guys are running Supercoolers, either homemade or aftermarket. Here's one of the semi-pro "homemade" units. Simple design.

And here's another using a fuel cell from Summit.

Now the concept behind the first one is the stock I/C tank is left alone, but the hoses are routed back to the bed where that tank is mounted, thru the copper piping, and then back to the system. The tank is filled with ice, and the ice never mixes with any water/coolant. I'm not sure how long the ice lasts, but I imgaine it's very effective at cooling.

The second pic is basically just a larger resivior. Easier to put ice into it.

Here's the thread on NLOC that I got those pics from.

LINK

And, just because I'm in a good mood, I searched around and found the "How to" thread for that first tank.

LINK

Cree
Old 03-30-2006, 10:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

Looks like my "coil cooler" for kegs of beer...that may be an awesome temporary (track night) solution...have a coil cooler (like this one) and add it into the intercooler loop...and don't forget to add salt to the ice water, I know we aren't making ice cream, but it will get a lot colder!
Attached Thumbnails Ice in the Radix tank or bigger tank?-coil-cooler.jpg  
Old 03-30-2006, 11:11 PM
Launching!

Switch it from I/C to keg between rounds!
Old 04-01-2006, 06:07 PM
? ? ? ? ? ?

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a large vortech cooler box also. It works great at the track to fill with ice. It takes longer for the fluid to heat up, but it also takes longer for it to cool down. I've got a drain on the box and one on the intercooler core. Checking water temps after highway driving in summer, the water temps in the box were mid 90s.

I also added an on/off switch under the dash for the intercooler coolant pump. That lets me fill with ice, and keep it off while waiting in the staging lanes. Then when I'm a couple of minutes from running, I'll switch it on.
Old 04-02-2006, 11:52 AM
TECH Apprentice

um, pics please!

Quick Reply: Ice in the Radix tank or bigger tank?