PerformanceTrucks.net Forums

PerformanceTrucks.net Forums (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/)
-   FORCED INDUCTION (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/forced-induction-159/)
-   -   Ice in the Radix tank or bigger tank? (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/forced-induction-159/ice-radix-tank-bigger-tank-362291/)

F8L Z71 03-30-2006 01:06 PM

Ice in the Radix tank or bigger tank?

Was having trouble finding info on this with the search feature.

Was curious about adding ice to the IC tank while at the track. Are you guys using regular ice? I assume Dry Ice would cause issues if you didnt regularly vent the system while racing.

Also whats the conculsion on using a larger tank to hold more fluid and more ice?

I'm adding the 90mm TB as soon as it gets here and would like to make all my changes that affect IATs at once so Rick only has to retune me once.

BlownChevy 03-30-2006 01:19 PM

I would suggest a larger I/C tank w/ a screen in the bottom to keep the ice from getting to the I/C pump. If a piece of ice gets loose and stuck in the pump, the pump will burn out.

You do not want to go too large on the I/C tank, there will be a point where the water will not cool.....just like a water heater.

holler at me if you need the 90mm j tube.

whitt1 03-30-2006 01:28 PM

I run water only in warm weather months so I added a anti-freeze flush valve mounted lower than the heat exchanger to drain the heated water between runs,then I add a ice water solution to the tank and turn on the ignition key to cool the remaining water in thesystem.It's very effective.I do have a larger Vortech reservoir tank to help things along.

F8L Z71 03-30-2006 01:46 PM

Thanks guys. :)

I was considering keeping the stock tank where its mounted and just adding a 2nd auxilary tank where the stock Aid box goes since I have some extra room there. I'm thinking I can just take some measurements and pick up a plastic tank from Jegs or Summit. I like the idea of the flush valve too. :)

Brian, I am using the NWs 90mm so I wont have to do any real hardcore fab work. Just port my J-Tube opening and elongate the 2 lower holes on the TB and I'm praying I'll be fine. :)

I'm just gonna try to maximize everything I have and keep this 3.70 pulley on here and try for 12s if the converter gets fixed right. :)

NXRICKY 03-30-2006 02:36 PM

I n a pure race place you could bypass the stock cooler core and just run ice water to the blower i/c. This way only heat getting to the ice is from the pressure.
Ricky

krambo 03-30-2006 03:39 PM

...I used my daughter's little plastic Sponge Bob Square Pants ice cubes for the track. They are large enough to not flow through the tubing and they will not dilute my water/antifreeze/watterwetter solution. I drop a half dozen of them in the intercooler res., run the intercooler (without engine running) till they are thawed, pull em out and replace with fresh ones. and they will stay frozen for about 2 runs. :)

F8L Z71 03-30-2006 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by krambo
...I used my daughter's little plastic Sponge Bob Square Pants ice cubes for the track. They are large enough to not flow through the tubing and they will not dilute my water/antifreeze/watterwetter solution. I drop a half dozen of them in the intercooler res., run the intercooler (without engine running) till they are thawed, pull em out and replace with fresh ones. and they will stay frozen for about 2 runs. :)

LMAO! Sponge Bob Mod! I'll have to try that until I get my new tank in there :)

Umm, you dont let your dauther use em anymore right? lol

vanillagorilla 03-30-2006 04:07 PM

You could make some dry ice pockets on the outside of the tank.

kbracing96 03-30-2006 05:14 PM

Why don't you just by pass the heater core hoses on the motor (you don't need heat in Cali anyway ;)) and then run the lines form the Radix to thought the heater core on the truck. Turning the heater to hot and the A/c on will cool the water in the heater core to about 40* or so. You would need a catch can to catch the condensation drip from the A/C, so the track officials don't get made, but that shouldn't be to much of a problem.

I been thinking of making up a kit for the Radix guys that with the flip of a switch would let you switch back and forth between the stock heat exchanger and the trucks heater core using some electrical solenoid valves if there was enough fo a demand for it.

8ALTNG 03-30-2006 05:22 PM

Isnt this what the Lightning guys do??? It works for them.