FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

I think I hydrolocked my LQ4!

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 08:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I think I hydrolocked my LQ4!

Yesterday my family and I decided to hit the beach with the truck late in the afternoon. The truck has been running great for awhile now. Here in Delaware we drive our trucks onto the beach to swim and surf fish.
So here is where the problem began. I was playing the radio and not very long, but decided to start the motor to charge the battery. I have done this many times in the past. I was on the passenger side of the truck when I tried to start it and it would not idle right, but I thought it was due to not having a check valve on my fuel pump. So, ususally you just re-start it when it doesn't fire up properly. It idled roughly so I ran around to the driver's side and tapped the gas with my hand and I noticed my AFR's were in the 12's at idle. Then it made a bad clanking noise and my wife noticed white smoke from the exhaust. After that the crank was locked.
We had to figure out how to get off of the beach. A 2500 Dodge started to pull me towards the dune ramp, but was not successful. So then a Ford Excursion Diesel put himself between me and the Dodge [both pulling like a train] finally got me over the ramp towards the parking lot. Unfortunately, the one tow rope broke and damaged the Ford's license plate and light.
In the parking lot, my wife and I had to figure out how to get home with our 4 and 6 year old while having limited cell phone usage at the beach. We finally got in touch with a family member to pick them up and a tow truck to get me and the truck. The tow truck was a 1978 piece of **** straight from the farm.
The two worst parts about this whole scenario is the tow truck damaged one of my new tires and luckily I got most of the money back to replace it. Ultimately, after looking at my truck today I think my meth controller worked improperly due to the low voltage and filled my inner cooler with over a gallon of meth. I think when I went to start it I hydro-locked my perfectly good LQ4. So all of the years running this motor it has held up perfectly until this stupid mistake of my own. So now what to replace it with begins. I am leaning back towards another LQ4 because this one has done so well. It was one shitty Sunday!
Old 07-12-2010, 08:06 PM
TECH Resident

Man that is some terrible luck.
Old 07-12-2010, 08:14 PM
Truck Sponsor

Yuck! Best of luck Russ!
Old 07-12-2010, 08:19 PM
TECH Addict

Sounds like you have my luck.. It sucks but would be a good time to tear your lq4 down and build a 370 :imo
Old 07-12-2010, 08:24 PM
something else

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Damn man that sucks!

On a side not did you catch any thing?
Old 07-12-2010, 08:28 PM
11 Second Truck Club

is it done, or did you pull the plugs and see if it would turn over? seeing that it was just idling, you may just have fluid on top of the piston that will just blow out when the plugs are out. just asking i would hate for you to tear into a good motor.
Old 07-12-2010, 08:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

fastrt- I'll have to pull the plugs tomorrow and check but it made a shitty noise when it stopped.thanks for the suggestion

In hind-sight I would have done a few things differnet but I can say that all day.

RJ- no fish man
Old 07-12-2010, 08:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

If ultimately I bent a rod,will my cam be OK?
Old 07-12-2010, 08:53 PM
13 Second Truck Club

I don't see why anything would be wrong with the cam, but I could be wrong.

That really sucks though. Please fix it in time for Carlisle so I can still drool over it?
Old 07-12-2010, 08:53 PM
11 sec. Truck Mod

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Aww man!! That sucks Bro!

Its a terrible feeling to have your truck ( pride and joy) break, And also to have your family stranded.

Glad you got out of there.

Take a deep breath and handle one issue at a time.

I hope something works out for you.

Quick Reply: I think I hydrolocked my LQ4!