FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

GT67 rattling?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2006, 06:30 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GT67 rattling?

I installed a brand new GT67 in replacement of my T60. It rattles a little. Worse when cold. Here are two video's of it warmed up. Anybody elses rattle? I feel that I'll be pulling it back off and sending it back to STS.

http://media.putfile.com/Rattle-94

http://media.putfile.com/Rattle-70
Old 06-06-2006, 07:51 AM
TECH Addict

Cool

Have you talked to anyone at STS yet?
I am not sure if that is a normal sound or an indication of a problem. All I can think of is to check that your compressor and turbo housings are aligned properly and torqued correctly to your center housing and to make sure the tailpipe is clamped straight and securely to your turbo housing flange with the band clamp. Also make sure that your oil lines and fittings are not positioned so that they can vibrate against the turbo housings.
Do you think it is possible that you might have a little bit of an exhaust leak? It is a little hard to hear over the rumble of your exhaust.
Old 06-06-2006, 10:11 AM
TECH Veteran

I got mine from Livernois (Precision), but in no way does my GT67 rattle, shake or make any other noise than the appropriate whistle.
Old 06-06-2006, 10:29 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Mort
Have you talked to anyone at STS yet?
I am not sure if that is a normal sound or an indication of a problem. All I can think of is to check that your compressor and turbo housings are aligned properly and torqued correctly to your center housing and to make sure the tailpipe is clamped straight and securely to your turbo housing flange with the band clamp. Also make sure that your oil lines and fittings are not positioned so that they can vibrate against the turbo housings.
Do you think it is possible that you might have a little bit of an exhaust leak? It is a little hard to hear over the rumble of your exhaust.
STS said it shouldn't rattle. I've talked to one other person that says theirs has rattled since day one. I have put my hands all around everything and can't feel any air for "leaks".

How can I check to ensure the compressor and turbo housing is aligned? It'd be easy for me to pull off and check that if need be. Would be easier to try that than to send it off. There are I think 4 small bolts that hold the compressor to the turbo housing. If I take those out, should there be a way to twist the units?
Old 06-06-2006, 10:34 AM
TECH Veteran

Is there any shaft play? Side to side or front to back?
Old 06-06-2006, 11:51 AM
How do I change this text

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Turbo shafts will have a SMALL amount of up/down side to side play, but should have little to no front to back movement.
But after seeing the vid, it sounds like a exhaust leak or may be a bearing, It's getting oil, right?
You can pull the air filter and look down the turbo housing to see if the inpeller has hit or is hitting the housing snell. and you could take the housing nell off by removing the 6(?) bolts between the intake and exhaust housings to check and see if the inpeller is hitting the back section of the turbo housing.
Old 06-06-2006, 01:06 PM
Launching!

I am assuming it is getting oil. I have checked my oil cap and I'm getting some good oil spray.

I checked shaft play before I hooked it up. It was VERY little. My year old t60 has more shaft play. I'll have to get a stethoscope on it.
Old 06-06-2006, 05:15 PM
Launching!

I picked up a mechanics stethoscope today. First off, the sound isn't nearly as apparent today as it was on Sunday and yesterday was quieter than Sunday. Now, with it running, I hear some rattling. I put the wand on both parts (and the middle) of the turbo and it's quiet. If I can hear clacking from the outside, I should hear something smacking in the turbo when I put the stethoscope on it. I can't feel any exhaust leaks by putting my hand around everything.

This morning when I cranked it up, I couldn't hear anything from inside the truck like I did when I first cranked it and yesterday morning. Maybe it was some ball bearings that needed to settle.
Old 06-06-2006, 06:13 PM
How do I change this text

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

To you have a air to air? or how are you cooling the charge air?
Old 06-06-2006, 06:26 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Wilde Racing
To you have a air to air? or how are you cooling the charge air?
I have an air to air and meth injection.

Quick Reply: GT67 rattling?