Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2006, 09:19 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

thunder racing and I know texas speed has a decent variety
Old 11-02-2006, 09:22 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The pistons off the shelf for a ls1 is designed to run with a ls1 crank which weighs about a pound less than the others because they had a 24.5 mm hole drilled right through the center of the second, third, fourth and fifth journals. My guy that balances our race engines would charge you 100-150 extra for that much time. Its just something to consider. So if you buy off the shelf pistons and pay 150 extra to balance plus 120 to bore youre close to the cost of the custom pistons. On a boosted engine 20 cubic inches doesn't make much difference especially if the stroke is the same.
Old 11-03-2006, 01:51 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by vanillagorilla
marenko, is that Denali in your avatar right hand drive?
Yep, sure is. Bought it in the US, shipped it DownUnder and had it converted

Originally Posted by TG02Z71
YIKES!
Did you hear any strange clunking or clanking sound from the engine??
What the hell do they make these pistons out of...white metal????
I hope mine don't look the same.
Are you going with forged pistons as replacements or something all together different?? Keep us in the loop.
If mine are f-ed up I really dont want to go crazy with the engine, maybe a piston upgrade but no boring and stroking BS.
Are the 6.0l pistons any more capable at handling boost?? If so may just get a 6.ol and do the swap then junk the RONCO 5.3l

I'm goin to Japan this Satuday for about 9 days, I hope I can get internet at the hotel.

I don't know how long it was like that for. There were no noises, engine ran well. Then one day I hammered it at 60MPH and saw a trail of smoke behind me

Started to make a slight ticking noise after that and blowing out oil over the intake manifold and firewall. I checked the comps and found them all over the place. Was hoping for a blown head gasket but had a feeling it was more......pulled the heads off and all looked ok. Then I popped the pistons out - 5 were broken and looked like the one in that pic. I was lucky that they stayed together and didn't damage the cylinder wall one bit. And yeah, this was a 6.0, with FMIC and Meth.....

Motor is being rebuilt as I type this. Nothing fancy, just balanced & blueprinted with some lower comp forged Mahle pistons, rod bolts and some head porting on the exhaust side. This is my DD so I need it reliable. It's fast enough for a truck - I'm not out to beat everything in sight......
Old 11-03-2006, 04:39 AM
How do I change this text

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by marenko
And yeah, this was a 6.0, with FMIC and Meth......
WOW that is the first 6.0 I've heard of blowing up. (with no Nitrous) I know ALOT of people have killed 6.0L's but very few have posted about it......
Old 11-03-2006, 12:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

make sure to sell me your built tranny if you go to a 4L80.....

As far as **** bouncing around in your engine. I dropped a valve on a 3 cylinder lawnmower engine I had just bought from a junkyard. Got it runnin and the more I ran it the worse it ran, figured it was a bad plug or something so I replaced them. Well the third one I pulled was pounded to ****, so that was the end of that engine. Dropped valve, shot peended and scored piston/cylinder wall and oh ya, the valve was found in the oil pan, after it went through the piston....pretty cool stuff, but I never heard anything other then a miss and this was running in a shed with no mower deck or load on the engine to overpower the valve.

If you puked a piston you probably would have never heard it, get that thing compression tested!
Old 11-03-2006, 07:18 PM
On The Tree

Do you think there is a reason why we get more oil puking from the drivers side cover vs the oassenger?[/QUOTE]

Sounds like broken piston lands between the rings on 5&7 cylinders allowing compression to get into crankcase. DJ toasted a 5.3L like this with a powerdyne charger trying to run 10-12psi on the stock motor, doesn't work to well.
Old 11-03-2006, 07:30 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Danville Performance
Do you think there is a reason why we get more oil puking from the drivers side cover vs the oassenger?
Sounds like broken piston lands between the rings on 5&7 cylinders allowing compression to get into crankcase. DJ toasted a 5.3L like this with a powerdyne charger trying to run 10-12psi on the stock motor, doesn't work to well.[/QUOTE]

It could be that the drivers side valve cover has no baffle in it to keep the puking volume down, it relies on the stock pcv vale for that, the passenger side has a baffle rght under the vent line that come out to vent to the TB.
I'd take a picture of it but I'm in Chicago tonight, off to Japan in the morning. WOOOHOOOOO...Saki drinking fool.
Old 11-07-2006, 03:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

what kind of trucks do those japs drive? Take some pictures for us!
Old 11-07-2006, 03:47 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by duwem
what kind of trucks do those japs drive? Take some pictures for us!
I actually saw a car lot with a bunch of used chevys on it yesterday. Most trucks here are very small, some are 660cc, I guess if its that small it is exempt from a lot of restriction that get placed on other vehicles. Hopefully I'll have some pictures, everthing is little here from the cars to the bathrooms and beds in the hotel, its kind of cute

Still here for a few more days, can't wait to get back home and sleep.
Old 11-08-2006, 10:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

grab up a turbo from one of those eono box 600cc cars, those things are tiny!